Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex FRing me! What's up with that?

tag
sandsanta
Contributor

Re: Amex FRing me! What's up with that?

I don't think its that easy.  A lot of the people getting FR'd aren't giving the entire story so it seems worse then it is.  To give you an example, at the height of the financial crisis I had 4 cards with Amex (Blue, Platinum, Delta Platinum and Corporate Green card) when they started to do their rolling CLD's and FR's and the only thing that happened to me was a hard limit on my Platinum card and CL reductions on Delta and Blue.  I closed the accounts myself after paying them off in 2010, but I didn't get FR'd. 

I also think, though have no proof, that the sky high CL's on annual salaries that are barely above 50k is viewed as a liability by Amex and their system may have a certian threshold preset for each cardmember for how many flags must be present before it initiates an automatic FR. I don't believe its "random" by any means though.

Message 51 of 59
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@android01 wrote:

@FloridaState12 wrote:

I'm really worried AMEX may FR me next. I've opened 5 new accounts (including the AMEX) recently and I'm worried they're going to flip because of all the inquiries and new accounts and either cancel or FR me. I'm babying the card...running less than $100/month through it, and of course PIF every month (Zync card). 

I got something in the mail today from AMEX and nearly had a heart attack...I have paperless statements and all that so there's really no reason to get anything in the mail from them. Turns out it was an introduction to their membership points thing. But I swear as soon as I saw that little AMEX logo on the corner of the envelope my heart sunk.

Yours is an attitude I've seen alot concerning AMEX cards and (less often) with Barclay's.  The day I become fearful of a silly piece of plastic that I use to buy things I need and want is the day I stop using it - period.  Wrapping up my emotional well being in fretting over whether somone will "approve" of my purchases or how much I spend of the credit limit they granted me is something I won't do.  The importance I place on having this-or-that kind of a credit card has to be - as all things in life - kept in perspective.   Smiley Happy

+1

FR = shredder.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 52 of 59
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

@FloridaState12 wrote:

I'm really worried AMEX may FR me next. I've opened 5 new accounts (including the AMEX) recently and I'm worried they're going to flip because of all the inquiries and new accounts and either cancel or FR me. I'm babying the card...running less than $100/month through it, and of course PIF every month (Zync card). 

I got something in the mail today from AMEX and nearly had a heart attack...I have paperless statements and all that so there's really no reason to get anything in the mail from them. Turns out it was an introduction to their membership points thing. But I swear as soon as I saw that little AMEX logo on the corner of the envelope my heart sunk.

i went through exactly what you were going through a year ago. so i know how that feels.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 53 of 59
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

So got the outcome of the FR.  NPSL still and my Amex is good to go.  I asked the rep what I did to get the FR and the reply was nothing.  Just a check into my ability to pay being a new account.  I believe what I was told regarding this.  No mystery... Just a means to ensure they made a good decision in extending me credit.  I was told also to treat my account as a new account until Amex can get an idea of my spending patterns and determine an appropriate internal limit. 

I knew it would come back good because I was honest when filling out my application with regards to income and I had already passed the credit criteria for acquiring the card.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 54 of 59
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@impovingmycredit wrote:

So got the outcome of the FR.  NPSL still and my Amex is good to go.  I asked the rep what I did to get the FR and the reply was nothing.  Just a check into my ability to pay being a new account.  I believe what I was told regarding this.  No mystery... Just a means to ensure they made a good decision in extending me credit.  I was told also to treat my account as a new account until Amex can get an idea of my spending patterns and determine an appropriate internal limit. 

I knew it would come back good because I was honest when filling out my application with regards to income and I had already passed the credit criteria for acquiring the card.

Good deal!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 55 of 59
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your results! I do agree with others here who say that if they are going to do it, it should be done *before* not *after* they approve you and give you a card. Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 56 of 59
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

Congratulations on your results! I do agree with others here who say that if they are going to do it, it should be done *before* not *after* they approve you and give you a card. Smiley Happy

I agree with that too. It's almost like an insult to do that right after getting approved. Like you don't believe me?? You approved me??

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 57 of 59
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

You've been a big help to me.  Thanks!  Smiley Very Happy   Thanks to everyone.  This forum is really awesome.

@bichonmom wrote:

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 58 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't you think that would give them a crappy reputation?

If I knew for a fact they wanted so much personal information just to apply I would never apply. 

Message 59 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.