Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Financial Review story

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Financial Review story

I've had a few amex cards for 10+ years. Never really used them because I'm more of a Chase fan. But when I received an offer for a Business Platinum with 50k bonus points, I went for it.  Let me share how things went down:

Day 1:  spent $500 in a plane ticket. 

spent $100 on global entry application (amex advertises that they will reimburse this cost)

Day 2 :  all amex cards are suspended and my phone (home, cell, office) blows up all day long from amex asking me to call them. 

"Your spending pattern has changed, but don't worry, just give us access to your tax records and in 1-3 weeks you can resume using your card."

I had to laugh because I have  credit score of almost 800 , my average credit limit is +$30k and utilization at 1%. 

I jumped through their stupid hoop, only so I could screw them over in the long run. How did I do it?

Well, if you cancel the platinum card within 60 days of  paying the annual fee, they will refund it 100%. 

So, I bought $200 un airline gift vouchers (reimbursed by amex)

I paid $100 for global entry (reimbursed by amex)

i cashed in my 50k bonus points

On Jan 1st I will buy another $200 in airline vouchers (the program is based on calendar year, so they will reimburse it)

Then, just before the 60 days is up (my annual fee will post in late November) I'm canceling the card. 

So thank you, Amex, your horrible experience was almost worth the $550. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
credit-hunter
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex Financial Review story

GOOD ONE MACK Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I shouldn't smile but .....Smiley Happy
This whole FR thing is silly. Amex shame on you. You should just request last 2 pay stub and be done with it.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I've had a few amex cards for 10+ years. Never really used them because I'm more of a Chase fan. But when I received an offer for a Business Platinum with 50k bonus points, I went for it.  Let me share how things went down:

Day 1:  spent $500 in a plane ticket. 

spent $100 on global entry application (amex advertises that they will reimburse this cost)

Day 2 :  all amex cards are suspended and my phone (home, cell, office) blows up all day long from amex asking me to call them. 

"Your spending pattern has changed, but don't worry, just give us access to your tax records and in 1-3 weeks you can resume using your card."

I had to laugh because I have  credit score of almost 800 , my average credit limit is +$30k and utilization at 1%. 

I jumped through their stupid hoop, only so I could screw them over in the long run. How did I do it?

Well, if you cancel the platinum card within 60 days of  paying the annual fee, they will refund it 100%. 

So, I bought $200 un airline gift vouchers (reimbursed by amex)

I paid $100 for global entry (reimbursed by amex)

i cashed in my 50k bonus points

On Jan 1st I will buy another $200 in airline vouchers (the program is based on calendar year, so they will reimburse it)

Then, just before the 60 days is up (my annual fee will post in late November) I'm canceling the card. 

So thank you, Amex, your horrible experience was almost worth the $550. 

I like your style, sir. Well played!

Message 4 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Very interesting experinece indeed.  Not sure what triggered such a review on their end but it sounds like you came out ahead Smiley Tongue

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

LOL!  Epic  

I think AMEX and the FR's are just ridiculous.. 

Message 6 of 10
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Well played

Message 7 of 10
mikelo22
Established Contributor

Haha, nice!

I don't blame you one bit for doing that either. FR is so silly sometimes.  Their current system which automatically flags accounts certainly has a few kinks in it...

Message 8 of 10
MarcusCrassus
Established Member

I don't blame you either. If AMEX wants a FR, they should ask for it up front and have you submit the documentation with your initial application like a mortgage (and perhaps at regular intervals thereafter), not whenever they arbitrarily decide to do it as if you're like a pilot and they want to carry out a random drug test. Especially if you are on a trip, it is outrageous for them to expect you to try arrange to get the documents to them.

Message 9 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@MarcusCrassus wrote:

I don't blame you either. If AMEX wants a FR, they should ask for it up front and have you submit the documentation with your initial application like a mortgage (and perhaps at regular intervals thereafter), not whenever they arbitrarily decide to do it as if you're like a pilot and they want to carry out a random drug test. Especially if you are on a trip, it is outrageous for them to expect you to try arrange to get the documents to them.

Right, but any issuer can do something similar: close the card, or balance chase so there is no usable CL etc.   People complain about FRs because they have to do something (or decide not to do something) whereas in other cases the card is simply closed.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.