Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Fraud

tag
rbizzle
Contributor

Amex Fraud

So long story short, I lost my Amex card in a drunken stuper last weekend and someone seems to have decided to use it, looks like they had a blast! My question is, they made a purchase at Apple (my guess an iPad or something by of the amount) when Amex issues the chargeback will apple track the device or just render the serial number as being a no go and that's that? Can Amex even see exactly what was bought? Only reason I'm curious is because it would've interesting to see this person get caught! Also when fraud charges are reported does Amex or apple file anything with the local police? Just wondering how this whole process works! Any feed back is greatly appreciated!
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Fraud

too my knowledge, they would have you file a police report. 

as too knowing what was bought, im sure apple would be contacted and they could find out etc... 

ive seen some stored put whats on the recent in the transaction description as some other have not. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 2 of 16
myjourney
Super Contributor

@creditnocash wrote:

too my knowledge, they would have you file a police report. 

as too knowing what was bought, im sure apple would be contacted and they could find out etc... 

ive seen some stored put whats on the recent in the transaction description as some other have not. 

Correct 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 16
rbizzle
Contributor

But without the police report can the iPad/iPod/whatever it is they bought, still be used or recognized by apple as a good device and they will have made out with something shiny & flashy?

Message 4 of 16
myjourney
Super Contributor

@rbizzle wrote:

But without the police report can the iPad/iPod/whatever it is they bought, still be used or recognized by apple as a good device and they will have made out with something shiny & flashy?

That's up to apple because they will be suffering the hit in the pocket...you will be off the hook so will the CC company..Apple didn't check the purchaser which makes them responsibly for there product 

Edit w/o a police report your responsible FYI

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 5 of 16
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

Yup please file police report. Not just Amex other CC ask you to file for a report as well..... As far as I know.
2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 6 of 16
gstq34
Contributor

Back in the day when I worked retail we were trained to match the signature on the receipt to the back of the card.  Simple and it works.  If no match or no signature on card - get your ID out sonny.  NOW...stupid places ask for my DL everytime no matter what, drives me nuts, a DL is for driving a car not buying a _____. (fill in blank)

Problem is now with electronic signature pads comparing signature does not work well.  I get it.  

We need to convert to European Chip & pin.

Rant over...

Anyway file police report to cover your assets.

Starting Score: 573
Current Score: 764 EX (FAKO)
Goal Score: 760 all 3

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 16
toppers555
Established Contributor

Amex didn't ask me to file a police report when my numbers were swiped earlier this year. I had zero liability .

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 8 of 16
RSCo
Established Contributor

They will very easily track down who bought it in terms of matching a persons image to the purchase if it was done in a store.. Most stores have cameras and they use them. Depending on how much was spent, it will be considered felony theft if over a certain dollar amount.. Also apple does have the ability to track the device once it's "activated". Something similar happened to 2 friends of mine and in both cases they caught the people by tracking the purchases back the stores, back to images of the people who bought them. The police then had them view the images of the people and in one case it's was a friend of his who stole his card. He went to jail for 8 months and once his job found out he was fired. The other case ended up being a random person and the idiot came back into the store 2 weeks later because the ipad didn't work, somehow apple had disabled it and the fool went back to the place he "bought" it from using someone else's card.. He ended up in state prison as a repeat offender.. LOL.. Anyone who steals in this day and age where everything can be traced are fools ESP if it happens from within the US... These people will be getting a knock on their doors real soon when they least expect it...
$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 9 of 16
myjourney
Super Contributor

@RSCo wrote:
They will very easily track down who bought it in terms of matching a persons image to the purchase if it was done in a store.. Most stores have cameras and they use them. Depending on how much was spent, it will be considered felony theft if over a certain dollar amount.. Also apple does have the ability to track the device once it's "activated". Something similar happened to 2 friends of mine and in both cases they caught the people by tracking the purchases back the stores, back to images of the people who bought them. The police then had them view the images of the people and in one case it's was a friend of his who stole his card. He went to jail for 8 months and once his job found out he was fired. The other case ended up being a random person and the idiot came back into the store 2 weeks later because the ipad didn't work, somehow apple had disabled it and the fool went back to the place he "bought" it from using someone else's card.. He ended up in state prison as a repeat offender.. LOL.. Anyone who steals in this day and age where everything can be traced are fools ESP if it happens from within the US... These people will be getting a knock on their doors real soon when they least expect it...

Episode of dumpiest criminals script...Casting call filled  twice  Lol

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.