Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Free Score

tag
brindle26
Regular Contributor

Amex Free Score

When does Amex update their scores? I asked and the response was the standard gobblety goop about what a F.I.C.O. score is.They have my Ex. score at 651 and USAA has it at 739. I asked Amex if theirs was an internal score based on F.I.C.O. and again no answer from them.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Free Score

AMEX provides FICO 08 score based on EX. I don't know what score USAA provides. AMEX updates scores, generally, once a month. Date, when score was obtained, is shown below the score on AMEX.
FYI, FICO scores from EX, EQ and TU are calculated by each CRA using their custom tweaks. Hence, exactly same EX, EQ and TU reports may/will generate slightly different scores.

I don't know why USAA scores is so different. Maybe a different scoring model.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my experience, Amex updates between the 5th and the 7th, with the score being posted 10-14 days later.
Message 3 of 11
brindle26
Regular Contributor

USAA offers Experian VantageScore . I thought Amex probably tweaked the FICO score to come up with their own risk level. 

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

My free Amex score pretty much matches every other source of scores that I get within a few points. It basically matches what I get from the three agencies, fico etc, but the usaa score is always off by 100+ lower which doesn't make sense. Amex and fico were showing my exp to be low 700s while usaa showed in the 500s. I pretty much ignore the usaa score now since its the black sheep when compared to all other sources(at least for me).

Even my local credit union score was within 1 point of what Amex shows.
Message 5 of 11
brindle26
Regular Contributor

Mine is just the opposite, very confusing.

Message 6 of 11
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@brindle26 wrote:

When does Amex update their scores?

Mine and my wife's appear to update around the 15/16th but are posted later.  In other words, The score generated on October 15/16 has yet to post for either of us.  We can only see our scores from 9/16 and 8/15 right now.

@brindle26 wrote:

I asked Amex if theirs was an internal score based on F.I.C.O. and again no answer from them.

The link and the score page indicate that it is a FICO so it isn't an internal score.  The page with the score says:

The FICO® Score we provide is the FICO® Score 8 based on data from Experian

It's not always the case but quite often with a little effort you can find the scoring model.

That said, if you're referring to score offered by AmEx's CreditSecure that is an entirely different model.  Per the CreditSecure product info page:

The PLUS Score® is a number that is designed to represent your overall credit risk. You should receive three PLUS Scores. Each PLUS Score® is a credit score calculated based on information in the individual credit report provided by one of the 3 Major Bureaus. While PLUS Scores may approximate credit scores used by lenders, PLUS Scores are not used by lenders and your PLUS Scores may not match credit scores actually used by lenders. Thus, you should not rely only on PLUS Scores to understand how lenders will view your creditworthiness. Lenders use several different credit scoring models.

@brindle26 wrote:

They have my Ex. score at 651 and USAA has it at 739.

AmEx is an Experian FICO 8.  USAA is an Experian VantageScore 3.0.  You cannot use a score generated by one model to determine a score generated by a different model even if both models are FICO's.  Always consider the specific scoring models when looking at scores.  Also always consider the relevance of a given scoring model to a given creditor.  The score from AmEx is relevant to any creditor that uses an Experian FICO 8.  If a creditor does not use Experian and/or does not use the FICO 8 model then that score will not be relevant to that creditor.  While the USAA score is a FAKO there are some creditors that use VantageScores.  If a creditor actualy uses an Experian VantageScore 3.0 then the score from USAA will be relevant.  If not, then the score is irrelevant.

@Anonymous wrote:
My free Amex score pretty much matches every other source of scores that I get within a few points. It basically matches what I get from the three agencies, fico etc, but the usaa score is always off by 100+ lower which doesn't make sense. 

It doesn't make sense if you assume that all models should produce the same number.  They do not.  Different scoring models use different algorithms that evaluate report data differently.  Additionally, they can have differing scoring ranges.  You should expect different models to produce different numbers and, again, not use a score generated by one model to determine a score generated by another model.

Under specific conditions two different models can produce scores that are coincidentally close or even the same.  However, remember that coincdiental and causal are not the same thing.  Variances, trending, etc between two different models is not fixed.  If you want to know your score for a given model and CRA then you need to pull that specific score.

If the USAA score is  VantageScore as indicated above then keep in mind that VantageScore isn't even intended to mimic any of the FICO models.  It's intended to be a replacement for FICO as the industry standard though there don't seem to be all that many creditors actually using it for credit decisions.

@brindle26 wrote:

Mine is just the opposite, very confusing.

Again, trending between two models can vary.

Message 7 of 11
brindle26
Regular Contributor

What an informative post, thanks.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't mean to hijack this thread but where can I find the FICO score provided by Amex? I looked at my first statement and I can't seem to find my FICO score Smiley Sad.

Message 9 of 11
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Don't know if it's on the statements, but you can easily find the link online on your homepage on the bottom right side of the screen.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.