Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Frustration

tag
logan_720
Established Contributor

Amex Frustration

So recently I thought it may be a good time to get a travel rewards card since my scores have improved, and since I recently obtained my Chase Freedom and Discover More. I was interested in the Hilton Surpass from American Express, and my Zync is approaching it's 7th month birthday. I'm not sure if what I am experiencing on Amex's website is isolated, or if others have had this exact problem, anyways, here's the screenines I took to show what I'm talking about:

The first one is the page I go to apply, and am logged in, not signed in, but it still recognizes me...

The second is what the page brings me to after I click "apply" If I am completely logged out, it proceeds to ask for my card information, or my log in to expedite the process. After I enter my log in information it tells me to either call the number on the back of my card to apply, or to fill out a standard application. When I click "ok" I am directed the the error page.

Amex ex1.pngamex ex2.png

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Frustration

Everything looks fine from this end.

Here the app page:

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 2 of 13
calogan
Established Member

I'm able to click Apply and get in no problem, I'd suggest giving them a call as directed - there is no harm.

Amex Accelerated Cash Rewards. BankAmericard Privileges with Travel Rewards. Amex Blue Cash Preferred. Chase Sapphire Preferred.
Now gardening until 2013. I assume gardening is a metaphor, like "book clubs" where all you do is drink wine.

Message 3 of 13
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Works fine for me too.

Have you looked at the new Citi Hilton Reserved? This Citi card appearently beats AMEX Hilton all the way.

Message 4 of 13
logan_720
Established Contributor

I did see the new Citi Honors Reserve card. On their website they show a Visa Signature, do you think they offer CL's for it under $5,000? Or do you think the minimum CL is $5,000, like the CSP?

Message 5 of 13
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Looking at the term, Citi Reserve is like CSP, where CL is at least $5K.

I definitely think you should give Citi a try. EMV and no FTF are your best friend for using the card abroad. Two free weekend nights and more points than AMEX.

Message 6 of 13
logan_720
Established Contributor

Don't get me wrong, I would love to go for it but I think a card that good is somewhat unrealistic at this point, seeing as how I was received my first card that has a $3,000 limit. I'm sure some bank would approve me for $5,000 but Citi definitely won't. I have also had my eye on the Citi ThankYou Premier... I was also considering the Chase Hyatt, but that as well requires $5,000 min. CL and as I just received my Freedom, I definitely don't want to app for anything from Chase for at least 6 mos. to a year....

Decisions, decisions.

Message 7 of 13
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

I spent a week trying to apply online for the surpass. I would put in the 4 digit security code from my zync and get endless spinning blue circle. One of the 6 people I spoke with stated there was an ongoing problem related to their upgrade of the "user experience" and there was no eta on a solution. I ended up applying by phone.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 8 of 13
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Have you tried filling out the app without logging in to expedite the process? 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 13
logan_720
Established Contributor

I have, I get an error screen wheni do it that way as well. I have also experienced the never ending spinning blue orb. It asks for the four digit security code and then after twenty minutes the application times out.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.