cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Frustration

Established Contributor

Amex Frustration

So recently I thought it may be a good time to get a travel rewards card since my scores have improved, and since I recently obtained my Chase Freedom and Discover More. I was interested in the Hilton Surpass from American Express, and my Zync is approaching it's 7th month birthday. I'm not sure if what I am experiencing on Amex's website is isolated, or if others have had this exact problem, anyways, here's the screenines I took to show what I'm talking about:

The first one is the page I go to apply, and am logged in, not signed in, but it still recognizes me...

The second is what the page brings me to after I click "apply" If I am completely logged out, it proceeds to ask for my card information, or my log in to expedite the process. After I enter my log in information it tells me to either call the number on the back of my card to apply, or to fill out a standard application. When I click "ok" I am directed the the error page.

Amex ex1.pngamex ex2.png

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Frustration

Everything looks fine from this end.

Here the app page:

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 2 of 13
Established Member

I'm able to click Apply and get in no problem, I'd suggest giving them a call as directed - there is no harm.

Amex Accelerated Cash Rewards. BankAmericard Privileges with Travel Rewards. Amex Blue Cash Preferred. Chase Sapphire Preferred.
Now gardening until 2013. I assume gardening is a metaphor, like "book clubs" where all you do is drink wine.

Message 3 of 13
Valued Contributor

Works fine for me too.

Have you looked at the new Citi Hilton Reserved? This Citi card appearently beats AMEX Hilton all the way.

Message 4 of 13
Established Contributor

I did see the new Citi Honors Reserve card. On their website they show a Visa Signature, do you think they offer CL's for it under $5,000? Or do you think the minimum CL is $5,000, like the CSP?

Message 5 of 13
Valued Contributor

Looking at the term, Citi Reserve is like CSP, where CL is at least $5K.

I definitely think you should give Citi a try. EMV and no FTF are your best friend for using the card abroad. Two free weekend nights and more points than AMEX.

Message 6 of 13
Established Contributor

Don't get me wrong, I would love to go for it but I think a card that good is somewhat unrealistic at this point, seeing as how I was received my first card that has a $3,000 limit. I'm sure some bank would approve me for $5,000 but Citi definitely won't. I have also had my eye on the Citi ThankYou Premier... I was also considering the Chase Hyatt, but that as well requires $5,000 min. CL and as I just received my Freedom, I definitely don't want to app for anything from Chase for at least 6 mos. to a year....

Decisions, decisions.

Message 7 of 13
Established Contributor

I spent a week trying to apply online for the surpass. I would put in the 4 digit security code from my zync and get endless spinning blue circle. One of the 6 people I spoke with stated there was an ongoing problem related to their upgrade of the "user experience" and there was no eta on a solution. I ended up applying by phone.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 8 of 13
Senior Contributor

Have you tried filling out the app without logging in to expedite the process? 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 13
Established Contributor

I have, I get an error screen wheni do it that way as well. I have also experienced the never ending spinning blue orb. It asks for the four digit security code and then after twenty minutes the application times out.
Message 10 of 13