Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Fuel Pre-Auth Now $250?!

tag
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex Fuel Pre-Auth Now $250?!

@Anonymous wrote:

@I use my BCP for gas (except when Discover rotating category is gas @5%) and the station I go to always pre-auth 100, and it takes about 2-4 days to be posted to my acct., I've never seen the sticker on the pump saying what the pre-auth will be, hmmmm.

Happy Holidays.

I was totally ignorant of the practice until a few weeks ago. Happened to read a sticker on the pump advising debit card users about the hold and that it may take up to 7 days to be released.

Basically, curiosity got the better of me. Smiley Happy I monitored the USAA Amex and it took a full 6 days for the hold to be released. Perhaps it's a quirk of USAA because the hold was listed as pending. I believe the actual charge was paid two days later, when it posted.

I've never noticed this with Chase Freedom. 

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 41 of 79
clownfico
Valued Member

It seems that CCCs are allowing the market to determine who holds a "prime" card or CL or not. 

I recall passing my AMEX over the counter to  a clerk at a fuel station. She without much thought asked me, "...credit or DEBIT?"  

Message 42 of 79
n777ua
Established Contributor

FYI the $250 pre-auth fell off this AM and the actual charge of $43 and change posted, trans date 12/23.

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 43 of 79
BlueNightStar
Regular Contributor

I pretty much use only one station near my house. They always use a $1 pending charge for my debit (which I no longer use) or my Chase CC. Oddly, Cap 1 never has a pending amount in my charges but reduces by CL by the exact amount of gas I pumped almost immediately. I feel fortunate - for two years I had no other funding except my debit card and a large hold would have been very bad.

Message 44 of 79
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@clownfico wrote:

It seems that CCCs are allowing the market to determine who holds a "prime" card or CL or not. 

I recall passing my AMEX over the counter to  a clerk at a fuel station. She without much thought asked me, "...credit or DEBIT?"  

Amex has pre-paid and gift cards, now. 

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 45 of 79
clownfico
Valued Member

@drkaje wrote:

@clownfico wrote:

I agree that Amex does offer pre-paid as well as gift cards, but these products clearly state that they are such.  An Amex Zync, Green, or Platinum  neither has "pre-paid" or "gift" on the card.  Moreover, using a pre-paid or gift card at a fuel pump will require one to pre-pay. 

My point was that it has become far too commonplace to assume a card is simply a DEBIT by merchants. It is simply a pet-peeve.

Message 46 of 79
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Another note about Amex - all "pending charges" fall off (automatically) one week - seven days - after  they are put through if the vendor does nothing with the pre-authorization.   The vendor must finalize the charge or it falls off.

A vendor has up to one year from the date of the pre-authorization to submit the final charge and Amex will honor it.   If it's done on the 366th day - Amex won't accept it.   It will not show as a pending charge during that time, past the one week limit.

Message 47 of 79
PetRaccoon
New Contributor

I'd really hate it if Chase accepted Auths like that..

My dad keeps buying around $12 of gas (almost once a day) instead of filling up cause of the bonus..

One swipe = 10 points

$10 = 1 point

with Chase Checking promo..

TU08:: 754 (4/14) EQ: 745 (6/14) 753 (1/13) Ex: 766 (12/11)
Goal: 800! Then Keep it there and keep growing!~
Card(s): HSBC Premier WMC: 5,000 (7/09), Chase Freedom 6,000 (11/11) BCE 3,200 (12/11) Chase Saph: 5,000 (5/12)
Message 48 of 79
tengtengvn
Frequent Contributor

@clownfico wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

@clownfico wrote:

I agree that Amex does offer pre-paid as well as gift cards, but these products clearly state that they are such.  An Amex Zync, Green, or Platinum  neither has "pre-paid" or "gift" on the card.  Moreover, using a pre-paid or gift card at a fuel pump will require one to pre-pay. 

My point was that it has become far too commonplace to assume a card is simply a DEBIT by merchants. It is simply a pet-peeve.

I don't think they care that you have a Zync, green or whatever.

What's in your wallet?
-Not Capital One.
Message 49 of 79
clownfico
Valued Member

@tengtengvn wrote:

I don't think they care that you have a Zync, green or whatever.

I did not imply that the merchant cared. It just rather mindless to inquire whether the card is CREDIT or DEBIT when presented with purely a CREDIT card. IME, most debit and gift cards clearly say so on the card. Just as a observant clerk might notice whether a card is signed or not; it would be equally appreciated to identify a credit card over a debit. That's strictly my point. 
I'm reminded of a CS rep via phone who inquires whether the card is a MC, VISA, DISC, or AMEX: "aahh,...the first digit should be a clue!"  

Message 50 of 79
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.