Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Fuel Pre-Auth Now $250?!

tag
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex Fuel Pre-Auth Now $250?!

Lol - it is pretty irritating when it's clearly an Amex and they ask if it's a debit card.  Uh, no....

Message 51 of 79
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@lithium78 wrote:

In the old days when I was barely scraping by each week and my FICO was in the toilet, I really depended on the $1 authorizations at the gas pump.  I'd usually have to get gas with my debit card one or two days before my paycheck came in and I only had a couple bucks left to my name.  Thank goodness the stations just authorized a dollar instead of the $50 or more they authorize these days.  I never would have survived.

By the way, thanks myFICO folks for all you've taught me to help me get beyond those days.  Never going back, that's for sure!

Umm, I'm not sure that's legal.

Message 52 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

Come on folks please leave the gas station attendants alone... they have awful pay, and their jobs are more dangerous than that of law enforcement. The requirements for the job aren't that high but they are generally hard working good people Smiley Happy It is possible that they themselves have never had the experience of owning their own debit card let alone a credit card.

Message 53 of 79
john398
Senior Contributor

@clownfico wrote:

It seems that CCCs are allowing the market to determine who holds a "prime" card or CL or not. 

I recall passing my AMEX over the counter to  a clerk at a fuel station. She without much thought asked me, "...credit or DEBIT?"  

With most cards I hand to a person seems to always ask credit or debit no matter what card I use.....

Message 54 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just had this happen, too. USAA AmEx and the pre-auth was $750! It has been four  days and it still hasn't dropped. My in a hurry half a tank $26 charge has gone through, but under a different name. I am so annoyed and kind of want to yell at the gas station. No attendent..I am not in Jersey anymore. 

Message 55 of 79
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I can tell you from personal experience that USAA will claim helplessness on resolving this. It'll probably take 6 full days for it to fall off.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 56 of 79
dalebb
Valued Contributor

prime example why we need hi CL's

Message 57 of 79
pmbrian
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just had this happen, too. USAA AmEx and the pre-auth was $750! It has been four  days and it still hasn't dropped. My in a hurry half a tank $26 charge has gone through, but under a different name. I am so annoyed and kind of want to yell at the gas station. No attendent..I am not in Jersey anymore. 

Wow Really?  My pre-auth is $100 on my Amex Green - and that is the same no matter what station I go to in the local area - $750 is insane!!!

03/25/20 - FICO 8 EQ - 709 TU - 717 EX - 718

09/02/19 - FICO 8 EQ - 702 TU - 699 EX - 714
Message 58 of 79
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I'm tempted to fill up at Sunoco, now.

In theory; you can call their corporate and demand a release. No idea how one would get the information or who to even ask for.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 59 of 79
dalebb
Valued Contributor

@pmbrian wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow Really?  My pre-auth is $100 on my Amex Green - and that is the same no matter what station I go to in the local area - $750 is insane!!!

not if ur a truck driver

Message 60 of 79
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.