Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Fuel Pre-Auth Now $250?!

tag
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex Fuel Pre-Auth Now $250?!

The easist way to avoid the pre-auth situation is to simply walk into the store and pay at the counter.   For example if you know you have a 17 gallon tank, pay for 55 bucks of gas ( assuming $3.25/gallon ).    Your card will be charged immediately for 55 bucks.   And if you only happen to fill up to $50, the $5 due back will clear when they run the batch processing.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 61 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

My car is very tiny. If I drove a truck I'd have probably driven off a bridge or killed everyone on my way to the gas station. I was thinking about calling and just telling them off, but really what does that do? I should go there and steal a box of Slim Jims as compensation for my troubles. 

I tried to show a printscreen, but can't think of an appropriate place to host. 

Message 62 of 79
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

The easist way to avoid the pre-auth situation is to simply walk into the store and pay at the counter.   For example if you know you have a 17 gallon tank, pay for 55 bucks of gas ( assuming $3.25/gallon ).    Your card will be charged immediately for 55 bucks.   And if you only happen to fill up to $50, the $5 due back will clear when they run the batch processing.

You have just given a perfect way to express my unhappiness with their practices.

Thank you!!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 63 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

And..now we will have to WALK inside the store. Probably spend more because we need a Diet Coke or Red Bull, chapstick, two Red Sox snow globes and chocolate covered cherries. I really need an assistant. 

Message 64 of 79
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

And..now we will have to WALK inside the store. Probably spend more because we need a Diet Coke or Red Bull, chapstick, two Red Sox snow globes and chocolate covered cherries. I really need an assistant. 

There are people who can't walk.

"Always look on the bright side of life." Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 65 of 79
chan85
Established Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

There are people who can't walk.

"Always look on the bright side of life." Smiley Happy

You guys crack me up! Smiley Very Happy

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 66 of 79
p-
Valued Contributor

1.The retailer determines the amount of the pre-authorization.  I know they are going up, because one station that used to stop me at 50, then stop me at 75 now lets me go to 100 on one swipe.  As I take about 80 bucks to fill up, I stopped going to a couple stations as it was inconvenient to keep swiping.  Can't blame them for increasing the amount, they want the business.

2.When the retailer batches out, the corrected amount is sent to the bank or cc company.  This could be at end of day, end of shift, or even longer.

3.If the information matches, i.e.. preauth #, etc, the correct amount will REPLACE the preauthorization.  This doesn't always happen, and I'm not sure why.  I don't think the gas station's processing software and the banks software communicate well enough every time to accomplish this.  If it does happen, the preauthorization goes away.

4.If the charge doesn't post, or posts in a way that the preauth is still there, the preauthorization will remain until it expires.  I believe this is determined by your bank.

5.If this is a problem for you, there are two fixes; either pay inside with a predetermined amount, or use a credit card.  I personally NEVER swipe my bankcard at a gas station.

Message 67 of 79
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

I started using my new BCE card 3 weeks ago for my gas purchases.  When I check on line, it always shows the exact amount of purchase, never a pre-auth for me. I am located in So Cal, I don't know if that makes a difference or not. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 68 of 79
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

@p- wrote:

1.The retailer determines the amount of the pre-authorization.  I know they are going up, because one station that used to stop me at 50, then stop me at 75 now lets me go to 100 on one swipe.  As I take about 80 bucks to fill up, I stopped going to a couple stations as it was inconvenient to keep swiping.  Can't blame them for increasing the amount, they want the business.

2.When the retailer batches out, the corrected amount is sent to the bank or cc company.  This could be at end of day, end of shift, or even longer.

3.If the information matches, i.e.. preauth #, etc, the correct amount will REPLACE the preauthorization.  This doesn't always happen, and I'm not sure why.  I don't think the gas station's processing software and the banks software communicate well enough every time to accomplish this.  If it does happen, the preauthorization goes away.

4.If the charge doesn't post, or posts in a way that the preauth is still there, the preauthorization will remain until it expires.  I believe this is determined by your bank.

5.If this is a problem for you, there are two fixes; either pay inside with a predetermined amount, or use a credit card.  I personally NEVER swipe my bankcard at a gas station.

+1  This is EXACTLY how I've understood it to be all my life.

@Anonymous other way around this (which I used to do for budgeting purposes) is to go in to the store once and buy a $200(or whatever) Gift Card, which represents your gasoline budget for the month.  Then, use that @ the swiper outside.

Rinse. Repeat.

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 69 of 79
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Seven pages of hand wringing over nothing.  Drive offs are a bigger and bigger problem......stations are only reacting to a lousy economy by requiring a substantial hold to cover their inventory.  The same thing happens when you check into a hotel, or rent a car, and they put a $100-$250 hold on your card until final charges come through.  Unless you have a very low credit limit there really should be no issue.  AMEX says the hold is 8 days at which time it rolls off.  If it bothers you than walk in and charge a set amount of fuel, or pay cash, or just get an oil card and use it.  The policies of credit card companies and merchants allow them to protect their assets from being stolen, there is nothing wrong in that.  Before we could look at all this stuff online we were unaware of these holds, but they are nothing new.  Live with it, folks, it's a part of asking someone to float you a loan for a month or six weeks.

Message 70 of 79
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.