cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold Application Requirements

tag
James_Madison

Amex Gold Application Requirements

My experian score is 610 (I have some charge offs from ~5 years ago that keep dragging down my score). Utilization is 0%. Income is $175k+. What are my chances of getting approved for a gold card? I don't want to apply and get hit with the HP for nothing.

Also, I read on one of these forums that amex may deny you, but counter with a card secured by a $10K CD. Is that something people have had success with?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex Gold Application Requirements

@James_Madison wrote:

My experian score is 610 (I have some charge offs from ~5 years ago that keep dragging down my score). Utilization is 0%. Income is $175k+. What are my chances of getting approved for a gold card? I don't want to apply and get hit with the HP for nothing.

Also, I read on one of these forums that amex may deny you, but counter with a card secured by a $10K CD. Is that something people have had success with?

Is this your EX score from here at MyFICO ?   

AMEX hasn't offered the secured card lately that I aware, so if you're denied there may not be a counter~offer.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum! Do you mind sharing your cr profile? Current cc's, inq's, any other baddies besides the COs?
Message 3 of 18
James_Madison

BofA cash rewards ($3k), Wells Fargo cash back ($4.5k), 2 inq in last 12 months and only baddies were the COs

Message 4 of 18
James_Madison

the 610 is from experian's website

Message 5 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Where did you get the Ex score?

Edit: just saw your response.
Message 6 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Experian score is a FAKO. Not a true FICO, you could pull your score here and based on the information you listed it should be higher

Are the COs paid?
Message 7 of 18
James_Madison

No they aren't paid. I didn't think it would help my score so I just left them. Bad idea?

Message 8 of 18
DrJim
Frequent Contributor

I would work to get the CO's off your CR and get the score over 700 before apping with AMEX.  Can you get approved with a slightly lower score? Probably, but why waste the inquiry.  Just my .02.

Starting Score: TU 672 EQ 654 10/20/09
Current Score: TU 775 EQ 783 EX 799 (PLUS)
AMEX Delta Platinum $35K, NFCU Visa Signature $30K, HHonors Reserve Visa $35K, WF $13.5K, IHG Rewards Club MC $25K
Message 9 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

5 unpaid COs are a major issue ESP with Amex. Have you verified the DOFD to confirm they would be off in 2 years?
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.