Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold Premier Rewards spending ability

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Gold Premier Rewards spending ability

I just received this and want to charge $8,000 for a holiday party I'm planning. I maxed out my checking spending abilities online and was wondering what the lowest limit is for new card holders.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
jon22guitar
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex Gold Premier Rewards spending ability

If I'm not mistaken, this card has NPSL, so you should be able to make the charge. Just be sure to pay most of it off soon. 

CSP 10,000, Citi Forward 3400, Barclay Arrival+ 2750, BOA Travel Rewards 2700, Discover IT 1500, Chase Freedom 1000, Crap One 500
Message 2 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@jon22guitar wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, this card has NPSL, so you should be able to make the charge. Just be sure to pay most of it off soon. 

Just means no preset (communicated) limit: it COULD be that Amex is unwilling to let OP charge more than $5k for example.  But hopefully not.

Message 3 of 11
jon22guitar
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@jon22guitar wrote:

Just means no preset (communicated) limit: it COULD be that Amex is unwilling to let OP charge more than $5k for example.  But hopefully not.

+1

OP: Call Amex and ask if you have any sort of "limit", or if this 8k charge would be approved. Good luck Smiley Happy Let us know what you're able to find out!

CSP 10,000, Citi Forward 3400, Barclay Arrival+ 2750, BOA Travel Rewards 2700, Discover IT 1500, Chase Freedom 1000, Crap One 500
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've tried this but they say that the online tool is locked for them too. Seems silly to me.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It goes off your history and internal risk score.

Message 6 of 11
Jarrodpd
Regular Contributor

The only thing I have going for my profile right now is a decent credit score because my yearly income is under $10K, over this past week I have put a little over $2.5K worth of charges on my PRG Charge. Mind you this is only my theoretical second month(second billing period), My largest purchase was a $2k down payment on a car and on top of that I have spent another $500 on this card(PRG) and another $400 on my HHonors card. Whenever I was checking my spending ability a few days ago, for fun I put in $3k and it told me I was approved to make a purcase for that amount. YMMV, but if you make more income then me and have a decent score I dont think there would be much of an issue. Maybe break the transaction into two parts.

USAA Platinum Mastercard: $8000
American Express HHonors no AF: $12000
American Express Premier Rewards Gold: NPSL
American Express Platinum: NPSL
US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig: $5100|Chase Freedom: $7000|Chase Sapphire Reserve: $10000
Total combined CL:$42,100|Exp: 763(788Amex)|Equ: 759|Tu: 769 (04 May 2016)
Message 7 of 11
Berk
Established Contributor

@Jarrodpd wrote:
my yearly income is under $10K,

Yet you want to charge 8k for a party?!!!

Remember, this is a CHARGE card that must be paid in full every month unless AMEX extends the Pay Over Time option to you. In which case you will be paying something like 18% interest.

Also, you spending ability with this card can change daily based on the computer matrix that AMEX uses.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Berk wrote:

@Jarrodpd wrote:

Remember, this is a CHARGE card that must be paid in full every month unless AMEX extends the Pay Over Time option to you. In which case you will be paying something like 18% interest.

Also, you spending ability with this card can change daily based on the computer matrix that AMEX uses.

I think you are mixing up two different posters. The one asking to charge 8k on a card and the one with 10k income are not the same. 

ChrisKChris: Does the check spending tool not work period? I thought it reset each day and you can try tomorrow?

Message 9 of 11
Berk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Berk wrote:

@Jarrodpd wrote:

I think you are mixing up two different posters. The one asking to charge 8k on a card and the one with 10k income are not the same. 

ChrisKChris: Does the check spending tool not work period? I thought it reset each day and you can try tomorrow?

You are correct. I apologize to all involved for my inability to see the obvious.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.