Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold Premier: Worth it?

tag
SomeGuyOnTheWeb
Regular Contributor

Amex Gold Premier: Worth it?

Just got this offer in the mail. The points seem pretty enticing, but the $175 AMF is kind of off putting. Does anyone here have this card? What are your thoughts on it?

EQ - 727
TU - 752
EX - 774
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Stralem
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Gold Premier: Worth it?

Great for big spenders and travellers. Not so much for everyone else.

But the annual fee is waived for the first year, so there's no harm in trying it out to see if fits your lifestyle (pretty much the only reason I have a PRG).

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 2 of 23
SomeGuyOnTheWeb
Regular Contributor

That's what I figured. The gas + groceries category is enticing, but I wouldn't spend nearly enough (I don't think) to make it worth the $175 AMF. I hate to open and close a card within a year.

EQ - 727
TU - 752
EX - 774
Message 3 of 23
jd352
Regular Contributor

@SomeGuyOnTheWeb wrote:

Just got this offer in the mail. The points seem pretty enticing, but the $175 AMF is kind of off putting. Does anyone here have this card? What are your thoughts on it?

Look at the everyday preferred card. Unless you spend a ton of money on groceries, it can typically yield higher point accumulations with about half of the annual fee.

NPSL............... $20,700........... $15,200.......... $5,000............ $15,000............ $20,000
Current Scores: Equifax: 761 (Fico) TransUnion: 751 (Fico) Experian: 768 (Fico)
Message 4 of 23
ExplicitElicit
Established Contributor

I was recently approved for mine, and I like the 1st year waived because as originally posted it's kind of like a trial period. I've already ran 2K through the card in about week and half, kinda with I would've took the platinum instead. For me I use mine for my customers, it's not a business expense and I don't get reimburse but I spend money on them and they spend a lot more with me. I wanted the PGR though so I made sure I PIF'd it. On my freedom I got into a bad habit of carrying a balance when I used to PIF so this card kind of makes me more strict with my finances.  

Also it's gold and amex Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 23
Involver
Valued Contributor

I applied for this card pretty much solely to add another old tradeline to my credit report.  Since the $175 AF is waived the first year there's nothing to lose, plus it won't hurt to increase my internal scoring at Amex by adding another card to my rotation of spending with them.

Message 6 of 23
Bman70
Established Contributor

Amex preapproval site offered me the Gold and Platinum.. thought hard about it lol, but had to admit in the end I would just be paying them to carry their logo around. Smiley Very Happy If you find it useful for your expenses, why not? I may apply in future once I start traveling more. 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 7 of 23
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@SomeGuyOnTheWeb wrote:

That's what I figured. The gas + groceries category is enticing, but I wouldn't spend nearly enough (I don't think) to make it worth the $175 AMF. I hate to open and close a card within a year.

Getting in with AMEX even with a card you expect to close is worth the entrance price of $0 and one HP, AMEX charge cards are one of the easiest way to get in the front door with AMEX, so today it doesn't make sense to pay an AF, but 3, 5, or even 10 years down the road, you decide to open another AMEX card it could be back dated  and that can be a big boost in your AAoA, Who knows at that point your spending may justify having an AF or you may choose to get a revolver with $0 AF. See other posts that people have gotten there AMEX accounts back dated many years back. Wish I would of openned up an AMEX card when I was 18 and SD'd it for a year and closed it in good standing a year later i could have 3 AMEX cards back dated to 1985.   

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 8 of 23
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Involver wrote:

I applied for this card pretty much solely to add another old tradeline to my credit report.  Since the $175 AF is waived the first year there's nothing to lose, plus it won't hurt to increase my internal scoring at Amex by adding another card to my rotation of spending with them.

I wanna know more about how they do their internal scoring. I'm pretty happy with my revolver but was wondering what other benefits of having that kind of charge card would be.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 9 of 23
maceto
Contributor

It's a nice card for utilization.. I run all my spend through it before any apps as not getting dinged in the same way
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.