Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold Premier: Worth it?

tag
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex Gold Premier: Worth it?

I have the PRG and it's my everyday card.  I run a couple hundred transactions and about $4000/month through the card, between myself and my ACM.  AMEX loves me. Smiley Happy

At the time I got the card, it appeared to be a good value.  I shifted my spend from my other AMEX cards over to the PRG and was willing to accept the $175 annual fee given the potential value of the MR points, as well as one other key factor:  the tier of Roadside Assistance included with the card.  I don't think many people realize that different AMEX cards provide different levels of roadside service (I think they're called Basic, Enhanced, and Premium) and at the time I got this card we were both driving older cars and my partner was paying for another roadside service provider.  Getting that bundled into the card was one factor I took into consideration.

Now, I'm looking very hard at the AMEX Everyday Preferred card.

I'm not taking the bait just yet, though, and am going to ride out the PRG a little bit longer.  I need to decide what to do with my other AMEX cards, as I've amassed quite a collection of cards I don't use anymore.  They're obviously not going to do anything with the Zync, so I'll likely close that.  I'm also carrying around a BCE and a Clear.  I'm thinking I'll combine the CL's and close the Clear.  Then, it'll be decision time, and there's a very good chance I'll get the EDP and close the PRG.

Unless they do something magical with the PRG's point structure, but I don't see that happening.

Message 11 of 23
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@SomeGuyOnTheWeb wrote:

Just got this offer in the mail. The points seem pretty enticing, but the $175 AMF is kind of off putting. Does anyone here have this card? What are your thoughts on it?

You really have to look at your own spend (as well as the other features and benefits of the card) to see if the card suits you versus polling others.  In my case, MR points aren't useful to me so it's a nonstarter.  Don't just respond to offers -- they're just marketing.  Go for the cards that suit you.

@chalupaman wrote:

I wanna know more about how they do their internal scoring. I'm pretty happy with my revolver but was wondering what other benefits of having that kind of charge card would be.

We all do -- for all creditors.  Unfortunately that isn't going to happen so you just have to assess whether the card is a good fit for you.

Message 12 of 23
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@steve23111 wrote:

I'm also carrying around a BCE and a Clear.  I'm thinking I'll combine the CL's and close the Clear.  Then, it'll be decision time, and there's a very good chance I'll get the EDP and close the PRG.

If you go with the EDP, isn't the BCE useless?  (Well, it is anyway, but still!) I guess you can then move the CL over to EDP so it doesn't really matter, but I would move BCE to Clear rather than vice versa.

Message 13 of 23
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@jd352 wrote:

@SomeGuyOnTheWeb wrote:

Just got this offer in the mail. The points seem pretty enticing, but the $175 AMF is kind of off putting. Does anyone here have this card? What are your thoughts on it?

Look at the everyday preferred card. Unless you spend a ton of money on groceries, it can typically yield higher point accumulations with about half of the annual fee.

I would agree. Unless you are going to put a large amount of travel on this card, the EDP will end up being better and cheaper, assuming that you put 30 transactions a month on it.

Message 14 of 23
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

@steve23111 wrote:

I have the PRG and it's my everyday card.  I run a couple hundred transactions and about $4000/month through the card, between myself and my ACM.  AMEX loves me. Smiley Happy

At the time I got the card, it appeared to be a good value.  I shifted my spend from my other AMEX cards over to the PRG and was willing to accept the $175 annual fee given the potential value of the MR points, as well as one other key factor:  the tier of Roadside Assistance included with the card.  I don't think many people realize that different AMEX cards provide different levels of roadside service (I think they're called Basic, Enhanced, and Premium) and at the time I got this card we were both driving older cars and my partner was paying for another roadside service provider.  Getting that bundled into the card was one factor I took into consideration.

I'm not taking the bait just yet, though, and am going to ride out the PRG a little bit longer.  I need to decide what to do with my other AMEX cards, as I've amassed quite a collection of cards I don't use anymore.  They're obviously not going to do anything with the Zync, so I'll likely close that.  I'm also carrying around a BCE and a Clear.  I'm thinking I'll combine the CL's and close the Clear.  Then, it'll be decision time, and there's a very good chance I'll get the EDP and close the PRG.

Unless they do something magical with the PRG's point structure, but I don't see that happening.

If I am not at a gas station, grocery store or drugstore, it's the PRG that I use.   I don't know why and there are other cards with higher rewards but the PRG just gives me a better feeling.  PRG also seems to earn a bit more respect too. 

With its 2MR on gas/grocery and 3MR on airline bookings there aren't many better cards out there.

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 15 of 23
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@steve23111 wrote:

I'm also carrying around a BCE and a Clear.  I'm thinking I'll combine the CL's and close the Clear.  Then, it'll be decision time, and there's a very good chance I'll get the EDP and close the PRG.

If you go with the EDP, isn't the BCE useless?  (Well, it is anyway, but still!) I guess you can then move the CL over to EDP so it doesn't really matter, but I would move BCE to Clear rather than vice versa.

My latest round of cold meds kicked in and I kind of abandoned that thought mid-post, but yes, that's the idea.  I'd ideally want to hang on to one AMEX charge and one AMEX revolver, and would end up moving the BCE CL over to the EDP... which is a good argument for keeping my $25/year Zync around.

I want to manage those existing CL's very carefully because I burned AMEX about 13 years ago and I think they remember.  Despite a FICO of around 810 and almost no utilization outside my AMEX spend, and despite that relatively high spend and PIF each month, they like to low-ball me on the initial CL's, coming in at $2500 to $4500.  I currently have $11,500 in total revolving CL with AMEX and two NPSL cards which I have taken as high as $6000 at any given point, and I suspect my EDP app will fetch a starting CL somewhere in the $2500 range.  Having the existing revolving CL to reallocate from another card will be helpful.

Message 16 of 23
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@Fico2Go wrote:

@steve23111 wrote:

If I am not at a gas station, grocery store or drugstore, it's the PRG that I use.   I don't know why and there are other cards with higher rewards but the PRG just gives me a better feeling.  PRG also seems to earn a bit more respect too. 

With its 2MR on gas/grocery and 3MR on airline bookings there aren't many better cards out there.

If MR is what you're after, the 1.5MR on general spend on the EDP is pretty awesome.

Message 17 of 23
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@Fico2Go wrote:

@steve23111 wrote:

If MR is what you're after, the 1.5MR on general spend on the EDP is pretty awesome.

+1

If you spend 6k on groceries and have 30 transactions per month during that time then that is 27k MR per year.  Opposed to 12k with the PRG with the same amount of spend.   Gas 3 MR opposed to 2 MR with the PRG.  Like NewGuy said 1.5 on everything else is pretty awesome. 

I have both BTW and I am getting rid of my PRG.  As much as I like the card I am not going to give American Express free points better me than them. 

Message 18 of 23
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@Fico2Go wrote:

@steve23111 wrote:

On general spend I use my PP card for 1.5% cashback. 

On gas/grocery/drugs I use my amex blue cash

On everything else I use PRG

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 19 of 23
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@Fico2Go wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@Fico2Go wrote:

@steve23111 wrote:

On general spend I use my PP card for 1.5% cashback. 

On gas/grocery/drugs I use my amex blue cash

On everything else I use PRG

Two questions. Everyone has their own system, their just curious inquiries on my part:

1. When you say everything else, what do you mean? Usually general spend = everything else. Just curious what goes on the PRG if general spend goes elsewhere.

2. Do you simply like cashback? You can pretty easily get 1 cent per point value for MR points, making the EDP a good option for general spend.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.