Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold, Zync, Green

tag
ccnewb23
Contributor

Amex Gold, Zync, Green

Hello,

On the American Express site, there is a link that you can click on and asks for information such as name, last 4 ssn, and some other personal information. Basically after I input the information, it says I qualify for Amex gold, green, and zync card and that I am pre approved for these cards.

Thing is, my credit history isn't even at 6 months.

Is this even possible to be pre approved for an Amex card with credit history shorter than 6 months?

AmEx Green NPSL | Barclays Rewards MC $4,200 | BofA 1-2-3 Visa $1,500 | Phillips Conoco 76 Gas Card $600 | AmEx BCE $25k | Discover IT $1,000
Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex Gold, Zync, Green

Pre~approval is not a guarantee of any approval, either with AMEX or any other company, so yes they might pre~approve even if you have a short credit history.

Generally AMEX likes to see a year at least a year of history ~ but they are quirky so it can vary.

Starting with a charge card is a good idea, they are easier to get than the revolving cards.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved for an Amex gold card with 8 months of history.

Message 3 of 34
Open123
Super Contributor

For the charge cards, many have been approved with as little as 6 months secured card history.

So, assuming other factors are on par, I don't see why you wouldn't be approved for 6 months history.  

Message 4 of 34
MrShush
Valued Contributor

IMO, I'd go for the Green over the Zync. The MR points are full points, you have better, more comprehensive benefits, and IIRC the sign up and spend bonus us better. Some will disagree, but the Green is solid.
Message 5 of 34
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@MrShush wrote:
IMO, I'd go for the Green over the Zync. The MR points are full points, you have better, more comprehensive benefits, and IIRC the sign up and spend bonus us better. Some will disagree, but the Green is solid.

FWIW, I've had my Green since last May and have been very happy with it so far. And, IIRC, the first year's AF is waived. So, if the OP decides to go for it and wants to change to a different card later, they'll at least have had the first year for free and and have accumulated full MR points.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 6 of 34
Open123
Super Contributor

If you're planning to have only one charge card, then I would avoid the Zync.

Go with the Green and above.  If you app for the PR Gold with first year's fee waived, and cancel the next year, AmEx may offer you a downgrade to the Green for $30/year as opposed to the full fee of $95.

Message 7 of 34
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

I just app'd and get the Green for the better point structure. I'll ditch the Zync now.

I did take a hit but it might have been soft - not sure.

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 8 of 34
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Open123 wrote:

If you're planning to have only one charge card, then I would avoid the Zync.

Go with the Green and above.  If you app for the PR Gold with first year's fee waived, and cancel the next year, AmEx may offer you a downgrade to the Green for $30/year as opposed to the full fee of $95.

Unless you fall into the 90% of Americans (or somewhere on that order) that don't travel regularly, and in some cases never?

Other than the MR transferring to other cards, and the ease of PCing between them (minimized since Amex backdates) I don't think it's quite as black and white as it still depends on your spending habits, and the Zync packs can be leveraged if your spend correlates to it.  I guess I need to work out the math on what the conversion rate is for things like a gift card to a nice restaurant between MRE and MR and I haven't done that yet.

        
Message 9 of 34
Open123
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:
Unless you fall into the 90% of Americans (or somewhere on that order) that don't travel regularly, and in some cases never?

Other than the MR transferring to other cards, and the ease of PCing between them (minimized since Amex backdates) I don't think it's quite as black and white as it still depends on your spending habits, and the Zync packs can be leveraged if your spend correlates to it.  I guess I need to work out the math on what the conversion rate is for things like a gift card to a nice restaurant between MRE and MR and I haven't done that yet.

I agree that if a person never planned on travelling, then there is little difference between MR and Express points.

For my personal spending, the Zync card is best.  The packs are great, fees low, and benefits are a tremendous value.  I'd agree that if a person isn't planning on travelling, then the Zync is far better than the Green.  Same fee, and double the points.  The rewards for gift cards are all at the same conversion anyway.

What I would do is get the Zync and hoard my points.  If I do travel, then upgrade and have them converted to full MR Points.

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.