Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold "you've been selected to apply"

tag
grubs
Valued Member

Amex Gold "you've been selected to apply"

I received this amex gold invitation to apply, and was wondering if i should pull the trigger. Is this the ideal card to get my foot In the door with amex? I currently have three cards right now. 

ge/auto---- $1500/0

credit union student visa----$1000/221

citi student foward--- $1300/255

utilization at 21%

EX--701

Aaoa- 1 year 5 months

Most recent inquiries on EX was in nov 12' and feb 12'

income is low(full time student) ~10,000

I wont pull the trigger until I get some feedback from you  guys! Thanks

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Amex Gold "you've been selected to apply"

Message 2 of 11
Denny33142
Regular Contributor

Yes income might be a problem.

We just had a thread about this a few days ago, With your income you are not going to be able to use it enough to even pay for the annual fee, If you want an amex i would suggest to apply for the Blue Cash Everyday card which does not have an annual fee.

Message 3 of 11
nagisa
New Contributor

@Denny33142 wrote:

With your income you are not going to be able to use it enough to even pay for the annual fee,

The usual new signup offer waives the first year's AF I thought. He could always get it for a year, cancel before 2nd year then at least he has ability to backdate later (or app for a BCE).

PNC Points Visa $3.3k (5/09), Amex PRG NPSP (9/10), Amex BCP $19.7k (10/12), Chase Amazon $4.8k (10/12), Citi Forward $7.5k (11/12), Chase Southwest RR Premier $8k (3/13), Discover it $4.3k (11/13), Citi Double Cash $18k (PC'd 9/16 from AA Executive 7/15), Chase CSR $12.2k (9/16)
Message 4 of 11
grubs
Valued Member

@nagisa wrote:

@Denny33142 wrote:

With your income you are not going to be able to use it enough to even pay for the annual fee,

The usual new signup offer waives the first year's AF I thought. He could always get it for a year, cancel before 2nd year then at least he has ability to backdate later (or app for a BCE).

You are correct It does say that the AF will be waived for the first year.  I thought the BCE would be harder to obtain than a charge card?

Message 5 of 11
ceemee2203
Regular Contributor

If you have any savings/investments make sure to count that. I have 20k+ in my AMEX personal savings account. Even though I make a little over 40k per year.  I also have investments. 

I say this because I have a couple baddies on my report and no CCC would even look at me a couple years ago. Somehow, I got an AMEX. 

Aside from the low income, you should also try to bring your utilization down to 9% or less before applying. 

Current Cards: AMEX Everyday ($15k), AMEX BCE ($20k), Amex Platinum, Arrival ($11.5k), Merrill+ ($7.5k), Freedom ($5k), Double Cash ($6.5k)

2/16 - 864 Fico EQ (CITI); 818 Fico Ex (AMEX)
Message 6 of 11
grubs
Valued Member

Yeah I guess I'll wait until June to apply, hopefully by then my Ex fico will be above 735 and utilization will be at 1%. I will be going for the BCE 

Message 7 of 11

The income should not be a problem, I am a full time student as well and applied with a similar income, maybe a few thousand more. I was instantly approved, but I also had a BCE prior to that so YMMV

22 year old college student
Current Cards:
AMEX BCE 5.8k, AMEX Gold NPSL, AMEX Costco TrueEarnings 2k, BOFA Bankamericard Travel Rewards 4.5k, Discover IT 2.5k, Chase Freedom 4.1k, Kay 4.5k
Message 8 of 11
grubs
Valued Member

@CraftyProcrastinator wrote:

The income should not be a problem, I am a full time student as well and applied with a similar income, maybe a few thousand more. I was instantly approved, but I also had a BCE prior to that so YMMV

What was your credit profile like when you applied for the bce? Aaoa? score? Etc..

Message 9 of 11

The approval letter came with a score of 753, so that. Aaoa was around 2 years, and had a Kay card, along with a bofa student visa, total credit under 2k. I applied with about 8k income, and was approved for 2k

22 year old college student
Current Cards:
AMEX BCE 5.8k, AMEX Gold NPSL, AMEX Costco TrueEarnings 2k, BOFA Bankamericard Travel Rewards 4.5k, Discover IT 2.5k, Chase Freedom 4.1k, Kay 4.5k
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.