Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold upgrade to Platinum - HP?

tag
RandomCreditDude
Established Member

Amex Gold upgrade to Platinum - HP?

So I have an Amex Gold that I got this Feb. I'm thinking of upgrading it to Platinum; the airport lounge feature seems like a good perk, and I travel a bit, so it makes sense.

Question is, can I just call them to upgrade? Or will they do a HP or something or deny me because it's only been a few months? I don't mind paying the yearly fee, because I see value in it.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex Gold upgrade to Platinum - HP?

@RandomCreditDude wrote:

So I have an Amex Gold that I got this Feb. I'm thinking of upgrading it to Platinum; the airport lounge feature seems like a good perk, and I travel a bit, so it makes sense.

Question is, can I just call them to upgrade? Or will they do a HP or something or deny me because it's only been a few months? I don't mind paying the yearly fee, because I see value in it.

Thanks!

You can just call in to upgrade.    There won't be a HP.    I don't believe that you have to wait 12 months, I'm pretty sure you can PC within charge card products anytime.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 13
RandomCreditDude
Established Member

Thanks! I'll give them a call and see what they say

Message 3 of 13
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Ask for a MR bonus when upgrading. If they don't offer one remain undecided and call back later to try another rep. I got 25K MR points when I upgraded but it was a target email offering the upgrade. Others have reported getting a bonus during an upgrade and that will help ease the sting of the upgraded AF. 

Message 4 of 13
Omnipotent
Regular Contributor

If you are greedy, trying asking for the 100k going around Smiley LOL

Message 5 of 13
icloud2525
Frequent Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

@RandomCreditDude wrote:

Thanks!

You can just call in to upgrade.    There won't be a HP.    I don't believe that you have to wait 12 months, I'm pretty sure you can PC within charge card products anytime.

I think you do have to wait 13 months actually.  Due to card act Amex will not allow you to ugrade to higher fee card until then.

Chase Sapphire Reserve $32.5K, Amex BCP $20K, Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Hilton Surpass $13,500, Amex Hilton $16,200, Discover it $16,000, Citi TYP $18,900, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $12,000, Virgin Atlantic World Elite MC $13,100, Merrill+ Visa Sig $10,000, Fidelity Visa Sig $14,000, Barclay Cash Forward $16,500, Wells Fargo Rewards $12,500, Local CU $7000, Barclay Apple Rewards $5500, Chase Freedom $5000,-- EQ FICO 768, EX FICO 777, TU FICO 781
Message 6 of 13
echo13
Valued Member

Does upgrading a charge card mess up the CLI eligibility date revolver accounts.
AMEX Green: NPSL | AMEX BCE: 6K | Chase CSP: 5K | Chase Freedom: 1.5K | Chase SW (AU): 10K | Discover IT: 2K | WF CashBack: 1K | Cap1 No-Hassel: 1.25K | Cap1 CashBack: 1.5K
Message 7 of 13
eddie84
Valued Contributor

@icloud2525 wrote:

I think you do have to wait 13 months actually.  Due to card act Amex will not allow you to ugrade to higher fee card until then.

Yah, I tried online & calling it in but they won't budge.  Citing I have to wait 13 months.  Damn card act. Smiley Mad

Message 8 of 13
RandomCreditDude
Established Member

Ah, I see. Well, thanks for that, Eddie84 & Icloud2525. MyFico forums to the rescue once again. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 13
eddie84
Valued Contributor

^ You're welcome and yup, I'm waiting to upgrade my Amex Green to Plat also since I do quite a bit of traveling. Smiley Tongue

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.