Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gold upgrade to Platinum - HP?

tag
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex Gold upgrade to Platinum - HP?

Thanks for the update ~ I know you can downgrade a charge card anytime ~ good to know about upgrading.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 11 of 13
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@icloud2525 wrote:

@pizzadude wrote:

@RandomCreditDude wrote:

So I have an Amex Gold that I got this Feb. I'm thinking of upgrading it to Platinum; the airport lounge feature seems like a good perk, and I travel a bit, so it makes sense.

Question is, can I just call them to upgrade? Or will they do a HP or something or deny me because it's only been a few months? I don't mind paying the yearly fee, because I see value in it.

Thanks!

You can just call in to upgrade.    There won't be a HP.    I don't believe that you have to wait 12 months, I'm pretty sure you can PC within charge card products anytime.

I think you do have to wait 13 months actually.  Due to card act Amex will not allow you to ugrade to higher fee card until then.

There is an "upgrade" button on my account for the Platinum as being eligible and I have only had my Gold since Feb...lol. Has anyone actually verified that charge cards have the same 13-month stipulation as revolvers? I'm not planning on switching until Jan, since my travel will increase significantly at that time.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 12 of 13
icloud2525
Frequent Contributor

The upgrade button will be there. But if you hit it will just tell you you have no cards eligible to be upgraded. From personal experience and from others on here Amex ties the hard line about upgrading prior to 13 months. Afterwards you can upgrade or downgrade all you want.
Chase Sapphire Reserve $32.5K, Amex BCP $20K, Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Hilton Surpass $13,500, Amex Hilton $16,200, Discover it $16,000, Citi TYP $18,900, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $12,000, Virgin Atlantic World Elite MC $13,100, Merrill+ Visa Sig $10,000, Fidelity Visa Sig $14,000, Barclay Cash Forward $16,500, Wells Fargo Rewards $12,500, Local CU $7000, Barclay Apple Rewards $5500, Chase Freedom $5000,-- EQ FICO 768, EX FICO 777, TU FICO 781
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.