Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Green to Gold PC

tag
kchengg1
Contributor

Amex Green to Gold PC

For all of those who have applied for an American Express Green card because they really wanted to get their foot in the door with Amex, do you ever plan to PC to gold?

And for those who have done this PC, can you go over the process on how it was done?

Regular gold, not PRG. 

I'm feeling like I could've gotten accepted for gold, but wanted my foot in the door with amex so bad that I tried green first. Got the 7-10 day message and then approval 1 hour later. But seeing so many people talk about gold vs green, i get the feeling that green is kind of useless.

Last App: 7/1/2016
AMEX PLATINUM (NPSL) | AMEX EveryDay Preferred | SPG Personal & Biz | Amex Everyday | Citi AAExecutive| Citi AA Plat | Citi Prestige | Citi Thank You Premier | DISCOVER IT | BOFA Cash Rewards Visa Signature | Alaska Personal & Biz | Amex Plat Biz | Amex Biz Gold
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Amex Green to Gold PC

@kchengg1 wrote:

For all of those who have applied for an American Express Green card because they really wanted to get their foot in the door with Amex, do you ever plan to PC to gold?

And for those who have done this PC, can you go over the process on how it was done?

Regular gold, not PRG. 

I'm feeling like I could've gotten accepted for gold, but wanted my foot in the door with amex so bad that I tried green first. Got the 7-10 day message and then approval 1 hour later. But seeing so many people talk about gold vs green, i get the feeling that green is kind of useless.

The UW is the same for all charge cards, Green, Gold, PRG etc. 

PCing would mean you would lose any sign up bonus being offered for the Gold.  Quite frankly, without the sign up bonus the charge cards are not as appealing unless you have a lot of spend to through on them. 

Message 2 of 5
kchengg1
Contributor

So it seems like reapplying would be the best way to go?
Should I wait in between applying? Or go for it right away?

Last App: 7/1/2016
AMEX PLATINUM (NPSL) | AMEX EveryDay Preferred | SPG Personal & Biz | Amex Everyday | Citi AAExecutive| Citi AA Plat | Citi Prestige | Citi Thank You Premier | DISCOVER IT | BOFA Cash Rewards Visa Signature | Alaska Personal & Biz | Amex Plat Biz | Amex Biz Gold
Message 3 of 5
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

@kchengg1 wrote:

Regular gold, not PRG. 

I apped for the green card for the reasons you stated.  At the time(3/13) I didn't know that the UW criteria was the same for all Charge cards, I had seen some speculation but nothing concrete.  I had apped 1/13 and been declined so I wanted to maximize my chances.  Hindsight being 20/20 I wish I had gone for the PRG. The signup bonus for the PRG makes it well worth it if you are going for a Charge card, you can always downgrade it later to save on the AF.  I don't see the point of the Gold over the PRG. 

I would recommend apping for the Charge card you want the first time.  I am looking to move from the Green to the Platinum card in the near future and will likely miss out on any signup bonus because I already have the Green card. 

Starting Score: EQ 599, TU 577
Current Score: EQ 703 9/20/14(HI 741 on 5/13), TU 690 10/1/14 (HI 751 on 5/13), EX 700 10/1/14
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@kchengg1 wrote:
So it seems like reapplying would be the best way to go?
Should I wait in between applying? Or go for it right away?

If you are recognized as being an Amex charge card holder you will not receive the signup bonus.  They have specific verbiage on the app detailing the time periods. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.