Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Green usefulness..

tag
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Amex Green usefulness..

My currect CC's: Chase Freedom, CSP, Amex BCP, Discover it, CapOne QS and Barclay Rewards. I just can't seem to find a use for the Green anymore outside the backdate to 2000. Am I missing something? 

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Green usefulness..

@mitchblue wrote:

My currect CC's: Chase Freedom, CSP, Amex BCP, Discover it, CapOne QS and Barclay Rewards. I just can't seem to find a use for the Green anymore outside the backdate to 2000. Am I missing something? 

Unless you're a big fan of the NPSL...nope!

Close the account when the annual fee comes due. You'll still hold your MSD, as evidenced by your BCP.

Congrats on your credit successes!

Message 2 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@mitchblue wrote:

I just can't seem to find a use for the Green anymore outside the backdate to 2000. Am I missing something? 

Would help to understand why you previously thought it was useful.  Was it only for backdating?  What about other features and benefits?  What you might not be considering is that charge cards do not affect revolving utilization (for recent scoring models anyway).  Whether the MR points (and the earn rate on points) and other features and benefits are of any use to you are up to you to determine.  No card is one size fits all.

If you have any MR points you intend to keep then make sure you have at least one MR card.  However, if MR points were important to you it seems like you'd probably have the PRG or another MR card with better earn rates.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mitchblue wrote:

I'm not seeing the benefit of Green for you, but you might find a use for it. It certainly seems like that AF costs more than what you should get out of it. I would cancel it. 

Message 4 of 8
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@mitchblue wrote:

I just can't seem to find a use for the Green anymore outside the backdate to 2000. Am I missing something? 

Would help to understand why you previously thought it was useful.  Was it only for backdating?  What about other features and benefits?  What you might not be considering is that charge cards do not affect revolving utilization (for recent scoring models anyway).  Whether the MR points (and the earn rate on points) and other features and benefits are of any use to you are up to you to determine.  No card is one size fits all.

If you have any MR points you intend to keep then make sure you have at least one MR card.  However, if MR points were important to you it seems like you'd probably have the PRG or another MR card with better earn rates.

When I was working on getting my credit up to snuff, it was my first card (early '14). I hadn't previously owned one in years..so I thought it'd be easy to get. So up until this past summer, it was the only CC I had. Now I have more I don't find a use for it, that's what I was asking..Thanks.

Message 5 of 8
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@mitchblue wrote:

Unless you're a big fan of the NPSL...nope!

Close the account when the annual fee comes due. You'll still hold your MSD, as evidenced by your BCP.

Congrats on your credit successes!

Thanks very much. 

Message 6 of 8
taxi818
Super Contributor

I wonder the same thing. If I cancel it go for another revolver. How long should I wait to cancel? I've gad the green got 3 months now. I think I will just wait until 2016. 

Message 7 of 8
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

I wonder the same thing. If I cancel it go for another revolver. How long should I wait to cancel? I've gad the green got 3 months now. I think I will just wait until 2016. 

Amex green is only useful if you need an npsl charge card i think. I know its an different card but i would rather have ED over green. Get most of the same features, no af, and 2x on groceries , whats not to like there?

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.