Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Gurus: Paying American Express

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Gurus: Paying American Express

i dont think you can pay early because you just added a bank account to your AMEX account. Everytime i change my bank account info, i cannot make more than one payment.
Message 11 of 25
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

ObsessedwithmyFico wrote:
I actually tried to make a payment on Friday and the system would not allow it since my statement balance last time was $0.  I usually push the payment through my BOA bill pay but didn't this time. I wanted the payment to post yesterday since my statement closed yesterday.  I even called and begged the rep to take a payment and he wouldn't. He told me to overnight a check. Never mind.  Statement dropped today so I went ahead and paid it.  From now on I'll be on auto-pay through BOA. I've only been using the card for my creditsecure.com charges.

Wow, that's unusual! I always show a $0 balance, and after that first month, I've been able to pay on the AmEx site without a problem.

Either that's something new, or they've got your account set up in a strange manner. Might be worth trying to fix for just the reason you mention.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 25
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Wow, that's unusual! I always show a $0 balance, and after that first month, I've been able to pay on the AmEx site without a problem.

Either that's something new, or they've got your account set up in a strange manner. Might be worth trying to fix for just the reason you mention.

Same here.  I had a zero balance last month on my Gold Card but have charged some things this month.  I just went online to see if I could pay and there was no problem.   What the system won't allow you to do is schedule a payment for a future date, it is an instant payment for today.  Once the statement drops you can then schedule a payment anytime in the grace period window.

Message Edited by Watchmann on 10-13-2009 07:00 PM
Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Watchmann wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Same here.  I had a zero balance last month on my Gold Card but have charged some things this month.  I just went online to see if I could pay and there was no problem.   What the system won't allow you to do is schedule a payment for a future date, it is an instant payment for today.  Once the statement drops you can then schedule a payment anytime in the grace period window.

Message Edited by Watchmann on 10-13-2009 07:00 PM

Okay, just to make sure that I'm understanding correctly... The only reason that I can't currently PIF (specifically through the Amex website) is that my account is brand new (no statements at all yet). But, after the statement closes this month, I can pay whenever I want (both immediately, and scheduling payments for the future) through the Amex website? I making sure, because I wasn't trying to schedule a future payment. When I click on the "pay" button I immediately get a message saying that no balance is due, and no option to make a payment anywhere.

Message 14 of 25
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay, just to make sure that I'm understanding correctly... The only reason that I can't currently PIF (specifically through the Amex website) is that my account is brand new (no statements at all yet).

Correct! . . . After your first statement you should see a payment window similar to the one below.  Notice that it has a button for "Outstanding Balance".

But, after the statement closes this month, I can pay whenever I want (both immediately, and scheduling payments for the future) through the Amex website?

You may schedule a payment anytime.  However, for future payments, you MUST show a balance due from the last statement.  In the example below, I show NO statement balance, only an Outstanding Balance.  I can pay the Outstanding Balance but ONLY using today's date.

Gosh, that sounds clear as mud.  Hope it helps.

IMA

Amex Payment

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 25
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay, just to make sure that I'm understanding correctly... The only reason that I can't currently PIF (specifically through the Amex website) is that my account is brand new (no statements at all yet). But, after the statement closes this month, I can pay whenever I want (both immediately, and scheduling payments for the future) through the Amex website? I making sure, because I wasn't trying to schedule a future payment. When I click on the "pay" button I immediately get a message saying that no balance is due, and no option to make a payment anywhere.

Wait until your first statement posts online and your payment options will be clear!  You can ALWAYS pay what you owe,  AMEX will NOT refuse your money!  But until you get your first statement you are in limbo.

Message 16 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Aaaah! Visual clarity! Now I get it. Really this time... Smiley Very Happy

Itsmeagain wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay, just to make sure that I'm understanding correctly... The only reason that I can't currently PIF (specifically through the Amex website) is that my account is brand new (no statements at all yet).

Correct! . . . After your first statement you should see a payment window similar to the one below.  Notice that it has a button for "Outstanding Balance".

But, after the statement closes this month, I can pay whenever I want (both immediately, and scheduling payments for the future) through the Amex website?

You may schedule a payment anytime.  However, for future payments, you MUST show a balance due from the last statement.  In the example below, I show NO statement balance, only an Outstanding Balance.  I can pay the Outstanding Balance but ONLY using today's date.

Gosh, that sounds clear as mud.  Hope it helps.

IMA

Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Watchmann wrote:
Wait until your first statement posts online and your payment options will be clear!  You can ALWAYS pay what you owe,  AMEX will NOT refuse your money!  But until you get your first statement you are in limbo.

Somewhere, in a secret Amex location, the infamous Amex Axe Team is furiously attempting to ascertain my identity. One flustered analyst, looking wide-eyed at his screen screeches, "For the love of... How many times, and how many ways do they have to explain it to her?" Another, furiously typing on his laptop, "Calm down, Mort. I'm on it. You get the closure letter ready. I'm sending a message to the boss upstairs, time to adjust the risk model again. Cluelessness is definitely out."

LOL!

Thanks for the clarification... again. Hopefully this time it sticks. <blush>

Message 18 of 25
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Cheer up, a lot of banks are like this! It's baffling at first, especially when you're determined not to let a balance post.

I've always just made the initial payment from my outside bank. If you "push" your payment into the AmEx (or any other) system, it gets credited. You just can't pay on their website for that first billing cycle.

I'll send a note to Mort to back off. Smiley Wink
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 19 of 25
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

I know this is an old link but I have another question regarding Amex "PUSH" payment method.....

I just received my Amex CC and have spent about $1500 on the CC so far. From what I've read, I can't pay at american website til after the 1st payment cut. I've decided to "PUSH" the paymeht in the amount of $1500 from my bank account to Amex. I guess the question I have is....how soon will the payment be posted to Amex once they received the electronic check.

For example, I push the payment  on 6/17/2011 and my bank stated Amex will received the payment by 6/21/2011. Any idea when will the payment be credit to my Amex account? 2 business days? 5 business days?

Thanks in advance.........

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.