Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Help

tag
svtthis
Frequent Contributor

Amex Help

I hope someone has the answer to this question. I just recently called amex to find out if they showed I had an account with them  (nothing shows on my credit report as having them).They said I had a green card back in 2005. I also asked if anyting showed negative on the account. The rep said nothing showed negative on the account. So here's the million dollar question. I have a bk7 from 2011 and they were NOT included in the bk7 (closed in good standing according to them) Would they approve me for a card? Or would the deny based on the bk7?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Help

@svtthis wrote:

I hope someone has the answer to this question. I just recently called amex to find out if they showed I had an account with them  (nothing shows on my credit report as having them).They said I had a green card back in 2005. I also asked if anyting showed negative on the account. The rep said nothing showed negative on the account. So here's the million dollar question. I have a bk7 from 2011 and they were NOT included in the bk7 (closed in good standing according to them) Would they approve me for a card? Or would the deny based on the bk7?

You wouldn't be blacklisted, but I don't think AMEX is that BK friendly. Others will chime in and either confirm my thoughts or dispute them...but those are my thoughts on your situation.

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@svtthis wrote:

It is a good thing there were not in your BK. It will all come down to your credit profile as people with BK have been approved for their cards... Tell us a little bit more about your credit profile in addition to the BK.

Message 3 of 13
svtthis
Frequent Contributor

I have 1% utilization and here are my cards

Barclay rewards 4100
nfcu 8k
merrick 3k
walmart 1.1k

My scores haven't updated to reflect the 1% utilization yet but they were a 655 before that.

I have 1 car loan and 1 personal loan. No late or any derogs since filing bk in 2011. Merrick is my oldest trade line opened 2012. Nfcu is probably my newest 2013 opened.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@svtthis wrote:
I have 1% utilization and here are my cards

Barclay rewards 4100
nfcu 8k
merrick 3k
walmart 1.1k

My scores haven't updated to reflect the 1% utilization yet but they were a 655 before that.

I have 1 car loan and 1 personal loan. No late or any derogs since filing bk in 2011. Merrick is my oldest trade line opened 2012. Nfcu is probably my newest 2013 opened.

Ok.. Any pre-equal on the Amex site showing for you? Before anything, wait for your reports to update and if it is a charge card you yearn for you should be able to get in with them as you have prior history.

Message 5 of 13
svtthis
Frequent Contributor

Just checked nothing shows yet. I'll check again once everything updates. Thanks for the help!
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@svtthis wrote:
Just checked nothing shows yet. I'll check again once everything updates. Thanks for the help!

You are welcome!!!  Let us know once everything updates..

Message 7 of 13
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

My wife and I had a BK in 2012. We had a Gold and Platinum card with AMEX prior to the BK . We paid both off in full. We had a perfect paymeht hx with AMEX, They closed our accts as soon as we declared BK even though they were not included. Now 3 years later I applied for a co-branded AMEX card and was denied. The rep stated it was due to the BK and would not give me a legit answer as to when if ever I should re-apply. AMEX is not BK friendly irregardless as to whether or not they were included in the filing. I may apply again in another 2-3 yrs but for the most part am done with AMEX. As a previous loyal customer with big spend they really do not seem to care or have any type of loyalty for previous good customers. No wonder that AMEX stock is down and they continue to lose business relationships such as the one with Costco.

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 8 of 13
svtthis
Frequent Contributor

Morgacj2004 thanks for adding your experience
Message 9 of 13
stengiz
Regular Contributor

i got approved for Amex everyday after five years post bk7, 1000 dollars limit and they refused cli based on bankruptcy. nevertheless i will ask for another cli after my 90 days is up. good thing it is soft pull for cli.

last app July 13 2016
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.