Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Hilton HHonors any good?

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Amex Hilton HHonors any good?

Is Amex HHornors any good for a hotel card?  60k signup bonus, not quite sure what that equates to.. Like the 5x points on restraunts is the big seller, but not sure if they points are worth much?  Experts please advise.. I don't hear it talked about much, so probably not the best?

Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex Hilton HHonors any good?

Anyone?  Know it hasn't been long but my Exp is only unfroozen for today lol since 2 inquires feel off..  Think it might be better used on the marriot card say July time frame vs. this card?

Message 2 of 40
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

If you want to get more value for your points, then I'd go with Hyatt. If Hyatt isn't around the areas you frequent, then I'd go with Marriott. HH honors point values are pretty "disgusting" to even be considered. Those 60k points will only get you one stay at an okay hotel.
Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 3 of 40
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Membersince2013 wrote:
If you want to get more value for your points, then I'd go with Hyatt. If Hyatt isn't around the areas you frequent, then I'd go with Marriott. HH honors point values are pretty "disgusting" to even be considered. Those 60k points will only get you one stay at an okay hotel.

apppreciate the response... so points aren't very valuable hence why they are so generious on 5/7 points spending on categories..  Hyatt is deffinetly being considered as well..  Just going to have to be July time frame..  

Message 4 of 40
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

Yah they're giving out Hilton Honors points like free candy for a reason.
Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 5 of 40
NRB525
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Membersince2013 wrote:

apppreciate the response... so points aren't very valuable hence why they are so generious on 5/7 points spending on categories..  Hyatt is deffinetly being considered as well..  Just going to have to be July time frame..  

The general consensus is HHonors points are worth .5 cent, similar to Marriott. Hyatt are said to be worth more like 1.6 cents.

I got the HHonors AMEX because it is no AF, and the 5 point category is groceries, gasoline, dining out, so more categories than most of the other hotel cards. 5 x .5 is still 2.5% roughly of earnings capability. And no AF to dilute those earnings. No annual bonus points or night, but no AF. You can get 2x earnings on Marriott and Hyatt for dining, airlines and rental cars.

It does have a FTF, but just use another card if overseas.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Membersince2013 wrote:

It really depends if you are staying in NYC or Atlanta, Hilton or Hampton, Peak or off peak time. You can get category 4 nights in many US cities for 30k. 

Message 7 of 40
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Ya the only real interset I had in it was looking for a hotel card.. I really wanted to Marriott or Ritz, but not quite enough time with Chase yet and to many new accounts sigh so was declined, but they said July UW eluded I would be approved then..  

Anyways have a great relationship thus far with Amex and fiigured a 0 AF card with 60k bonus would be nice and earning 5 points per spend sounded good, but deluted a bit depending on where you stay from what people on this thread are stating... I would of applied already if they still had the MSD  on the CR's, but since that has ended I am not sure about whether the card would be worth it. 

Honestly probably will just wait until July and get the Marriott 70k offer and hopefully get approved that go around.   I don't need any more credit or the points right away as my trip is towards the later part of the year I am planning.. The nice thing about Amex though is a SP usually until approval then a HP...  

I can argue both ways lol.. Think I will hold off though and let my accounts age a bit more etc.  My profile has taken a beating recently with my new accounts.  Thank god for Amex MSD of 1990's that saved the day on my AAoA, but still alot of new accounts in the last 6 months.

Message 8 of 40
ksantangelo23
Frequent Contributor

The common comparison seems to be the Hyatt and Marriott card with annual fees. The base Hilton card has no AF.

Another thing that many posters seem to neglect about the Hilton points is how easy it is to earn them, and how different the reward categories are.

The Hilton card is far more friendlier to every day spending, whereas the other two are very preferable to what many of us dont spend as much on. (travel vs. every day purchases)

Hyatt: $75 AF

3 points on Hotel properties

2 points on airlines, restaurants, rentals.

1 points everywhere else

AMEX Hilton:

No AF/$75 AF

7/12 points on Hotel properties

5/6 points on restaurants, groceries, gas stations

3/3 points all other purchases

Hilton points are somewhat lower in value in comparison to Hyatt and Marriot, but it is far easier to earn the Hilton points. 30K points for a stay at a Hilton Resort is possible, and is just what I pay.. A previous poster mentioning 60k points at an "okay hotel" is completely false.

The Hilton card is my choice due to my spending habits, which many others share with me: The only reason I travel is for a vacation, and the majority of my spending throughout the year is everyday purchases. If I went with the Hyatt or Marriott card, I'd have just another 1 - 1.5% card.

AMEX Hilton Ascend: $55,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve: $30,000 | PNC Points: $17,500 | AMEX BCE (AU): $18,000 | AMEX BCP: $15,000 | US Bank Cash+ $15,000 | AMEX Business Prime: $14,000 | AMEX SimplyCash: $12,000 | Capital One QS: $13,500 | Chase Business Ink: $12,000 | PNC Everyday (AU): $12,000 | JCPenny Store Card: $10,500 | Chase Slate: $9,400 | Capital One QS: $6,500 | (2nd) US Bank Cash+ (2nd): $7,500 | Discover IT: $6,000 | Chase Freedom: $3,500 | Auto Lease: $0/$21,000 | Auto Loan: $0/$18,000 |

TU: 818 EX: 809 EQ: 801

Message 9 of 40
Zorasmiles
Established Contributor

I'm more inclined to go with the AMEX HHonors based on the quicker point earnings based on my own spending habits.  The no annual fee is also a plus but everyone will have to figure out what is more important to them in a card based on their on card use.

FICO scores are your calling card to the business world. Build a negative reputation and those doors are hard to open, find that perfect balance of credit responsibility and those doors open when you desire them.
Message 10 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.