Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Hilton HHonors

tag
JoeRo
Valued Member

Re: Amex Hilton HHonors

I'll burn an app on it in the next few days. It will only be a soft pull anyway. I hope sometime in the next three months to be eligible.

Random question.... Is it possible to double dip with the citi version?
Message 11 of 29
enharu
Super Contributor

@JoeRo wrote:
I'll burn an app on it in the next few days. It will only be a soft pull anyway. I hope sometime in the next three months to be eligible.

Random question.... Is it possible to double dip with the citi version?

your chances for the Citi card is probably even lower than Amex's because you do not have any prior relationship with them on top of your thin file.

But yes, you can double dip. 
You can even get 2 of the same Citi Hilton cards to get twice of that bonus.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 12 of 29
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@n777ua wrote:

I always stay at the W=A in NYC, but don't get wrapped up in the history in glamour.  Some of rooms are quite outdated and God help you if you order anything from room service.  IIRC, they removed the mini-bars from most/all rooms so you HAVE to call for anything, even a late night Pepsi or candy bar.

In any event, based on Amex approval criterion for revolvers I would say your chances are slim to none, but YMMV.  If you have an INQ to burn, try it.  Let us know...

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a less-than-ideal impression of the place.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 13 of 29
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I can understand the opinions that the low AAoA may be an issue. After six months of good history with the green card though, I wouldn't be too surprised if you get approved for the HHonors card. Maybe wait until next month to try.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 29
n777ua
Established Contributor

Any update here ? 

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 15 of 29
JoeRo
Valued Member

I'll be applying on the 5th or 6th. I will definitely let the forum know how it goes. I assume it will take another week. I don't think Amex has softed me lately.
Message 16 of 29
vagrants
Regular Contributor

With the recent devaluation of HHonors points, I heard that Citi one is better...AXON is significantly devalued as well.

AMEX Cash Rebate (this isn't Costco, older version of Blue Cash), AMEX Blue Cash, AMEX BCP, AMEX SPG (personal), Barclay Sallie Mae Plat MC, BBVA Compass NBA AMEX (No AF), Capital One QuickSilver VISA Sig, Capital One QuickSilver World MC, 2x Chase Freedom VISA Sig, Chase Ink Bold World Elite MC, Citi Dividend AMEX/World MC, Citi Double Cash, Citi Hilton VISA Sig, Discover More, Discover It, Fidelity AMEX, Huntington Voice World MC, MyPoints Rewards VISA, 2x US Bank Cash+ VISA Sig
Message 17 of 29
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

@enharu wrote:

what you can do is you can make payment in excess of what is required. for some auto loan companies (I've tried with Honda, Chase and BMW and they work this way), if you make payment in excess of minimum payment required, your next month's balance will be your minimum balance minus whatever you paid in excess.

So for example if you're supposed to pay 5000 each month, and you made a payment of 6000, you essentially don't have to make payments for the next 11 months. They'll still charge you interests and your amortization schedule will go back to what it is originally.

you can call your auto loan company to find out about how they deal with excess payments.

Agreed - most suto loan companies allow you to do this.  I made my first payment in execess of what was due; the next month my billed amount was reduced.  So I then payed the billed amount, and then made an additional payment (greater than what would have been due) to principal only.   I will have the 5 yr loan paid off in well less than four.

The benefit of making additional payments is that should any financial emergency occur you can skip payments or pay less.  It's a great way to build flexibility into your finances should you ever have to take advantage of it.

Message 18 of 29
JoeRo
Valued Member

So I applied last night and got the 14 day message.  I called this morning to find that I was declined.  So I pull up my Experian report and find that Amex hasn't SP'd me since the first of March.  I thought they would soft me every month since I am a current card member.

Either way, I will try again next month.  I think they're getting tired of me applying once a month for cards since they always give me the 14 day message.

Message 19 of 29
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

They didn't hassle me about my student loan balances.
Once that Discovet reports a lower balance... See where your score goes,
Then if it's 680+, go for it.
If not... Wait til it's at about 680, the app!
Amex seems easier than Citi, so Citi is a no go.
It took even me a couple months to get a Citi on recon. Heh
Good luck!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.