cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Hilton Honors Re- Age question with another Amex account???

tag
chris288
Regular Contributor

Amex Hilton Honors Re- Age question with another Amex account???

So I just applied this week for an Amex Hilton Surpass card and was approved (with an unusually low limit compared to other cards.)  My question is I thougth I read somewhere that Amex will re-age your newly opened cards with the same age as when you opened your first account with them?  I have an Amex Green card for about 3 years and just got the Surpass card.  So when I sign into my online account it says a member since Nov 24th of this year, but when I sign into my other account it says a member since 9 2011.

I have searched and googled this site trying to find where I read this with Amex where they combine the aging to represent the oldest account on all your accounts with them.

Also, another question I had is would it be good to call them when I receive my card and ask if I could get a CLI if I did a balance transfer from one of my other cards?  I just applied straight through AMEX and did not call a backdoor number.  Would it be worth it to increase my limit?  I know they are hard to get any increase in the first 61 days, but did not know if it would help if I offered a Balance Transfer to get the limit raised?  They would not cancel my account for asking would they?

Thanks for any help with them, really wanted this card as I travel all the time and stay in Hiltons so the points are huge for me.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Hilton Honors Re- Age question with another Amex account???

Login to the card that has the wrong MSD and go to the chat function. Let them know your member since date is incorrect and ask them to adjust it.

They will send you a card out with the correct date as well.

Good luck!
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 2 of 7
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Amex has told me to ask about CLI when I receive the card and activate it in a number of situations.  But they have always just apologized and advised me of the 61 day CLI policy.  When I first got Surpass it had an annoying $2k limit.  Delta Platinum had an even more annoying $1100 limit.  You could always ask, but I don't seem to recall hearing of any successful CLI with Amex on card activation.

Message 3 of 7
chris288
Regular Contributor

Great advice thank you.  I logged in and went online to chat and requested this.  It was no problem at all and they said the card would be shipped out showing.  I assume once the account opens and reports to the credit bureaus then it will show all the years of aging on the 3 bureaus?  

Also, once I receive the card I will try the option to get a balance transfer to increase the limit for Amex.  Anyone have a good number to try on this?  Backdoor number I assume?

Thanks again for the advice.

Chris 

Message 4 of 7
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Yes. Make sure your online account member since date is correct if it is your cards will report as opened that year.

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 5 of 7
NRB525
Super Contributor

@chris288 wrote:

So I just applied this week for an Amex Hilton Surpass card and was approved (with an unusually low limit compared to other cards.)  My question is I thougth I read somewhere that Amex will re-age your newly opened cards with the same age as when you opened your first account with them?  I have an Amex Green card for about 3 years and just got the Surpass card.  So when I sign into my online account it says a member since Nov 24th of this year, but when I sign into my other account it says a member since 9 2011.

I have searched and googled this site trying to find where I read this with Amex where they combine the aging to represent the oldest account on all your accounts with them.

Also, another question I had is would it be good to call them when I receive my card and ask if I could get a CLI if I did a balance transfer from one of my other cards?  I just applied straight through AMEX and did not call a backdoor number.  Would it be worth it to increase my limit?  I know they are hard to get any increase in the first 61 days, but did not know if it would help if I offered a Balance Transfer to get the limit raised?  They would not cancel my account for asking would they?

Thanks for any help with them, really wanted this card as I travel all the time and stay in Hiltons so the points are huge for me.

Do you have the two cards on separate AMEX log in names/passwords? Ugh. I'd look into whether they have a suggestion for how to get both cards on one AMEX log in, based on your 9/2011 Green card. It makes it much easier to keep track of the cards, IMO.

Congratulations on getting the second card!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 7
chris288
Regular Contributor

Yes when I logged back in it says at the top "Member since the correct back date month"

So that is reall awesome that my newest card will be aged to one of my oldest. Oh yeah, and ironically when I opened my green card in 11, the agent asked if I had opened an account in 07. ( I did then closed it ), so they went back to 07 instead of 11. Can u believe that? Freakin awesome!!!

I have 2 different log ins for my green card and my Hilton Surpass. Is it a problem doing it that way?

I will let everyone know how the BT request works for a CLI. If anyone has had success here doing that let me know.

Thanks
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.