cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex: I put in for a CLI - Did I make a mistake?

tag
EW800
Valued Contributor

Amex: I put in for a CLI - Did I make a mistake?

Argh...  I have two Amex cards, one with a CL of $18K and the other $12.5K.  I was basically just bored and decided to put in for a CLI on the $18K account.  I only requested a $2K increase, since I know I am already high between the two accounts, but was hoping that I could take this account to an even $20K.  

I got the 7 to 10 day message.  That did not concern me at all, figuring it was a denial.  A few minutes later I got an e-mail that states:

"We've finished reviewing your credit limit increase request.  To get the details of our decision please contact our Customer Care Team at your earliest convenience by calling 1-800-535-7790.  We look forward to hearing from you soon."

I called the number, which said that it is the New Account Group, but it is after hours and closed.  

Is this going to be a FR or could it be something else?  If it is a FR, can I just cancel the request or do I have to go through with it?  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex: I put in for a CLI - Did I make a mistake?

@EW800 wrote:

Argh...  I have two Amex cards, one with a CL of $18K and the other $12.5K.  I was basically just bored and decided to put in for a CLI on the $18K account.  I only requested a $2K increase, since I know I am already high between the two accounts, but was hoping that I could take this account to an even $20K.  

I got the 7 to 10 day message.  That did not concern me at all, figuring it was a denial.  A few minutes later I got an e-mail that states:

"We've finished reviewing your credit limit increase request.  To get the details of our decision please contact our Customer Care Team at your earliest convenience by calling 1-800-535-7790.  We look forward to hearing from you soon."

I called the number, which said that it is the New Account Group, but it is after hours and closed.  

Is this going to be a FR or could it be something else?  If it is a FR, can I just cancel the request or do I have to go through with it?  

You can always back out of the request and deal with it later. I thought amex only quickly jumped to FR for folks with 35k+exposure?

It sounds like you were on egg shells even when you made the request. May I ask why?  Normally a person would have asked for 25k on that 12k card I would think?

Will you not be able to give them the info for the forms if they do FR?  Doesnt sound like they are FR'ing you though. But I have no personal experience with it.

Message 2 of 11
EW800
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@EW800 wrote:

You can always back out of the request and deal with it later. I thought amex only quickly jumped to FR for folks with 35k+exposure?

It sounds like you were on egg shells even when you made the request. May I ask why?  Normally a person would have asked for 25k on that 12k card I would think?

Will you not be able to give them the info for the forms if they do FR?  Doesnt sound like they are FR'ing you though. But I have no personal experience with it.

I was a bit on eggshells, but only because I was not sure that it has been six months since my last increase.  I wasn't sure what the FR trigger is, which is why I kept the amount small.  Between the two accounts I am currently at $30,500 with them, so getting rather close to the magic number - assuming that count the total of both accounts.  

If they do want a FR, I will not have any problem backing it up, as I was spot on as far as the income I stated.  I just don't want to have to do it for a $2K increase.  

The e-mail states "to get the details of our decision" sure makes it sound like the decision has been made, so I am not sure what the phone call is about.  Odd.  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@EW800 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@EW800 wrote:

I was a bit on eggshells, but only because I was not sure that it has been six months since my last increase.  I wasn't sure what the FR trigger is, which is why I kept the amount small.  Between the two accounts I am currently at $30,500 with them, so getting rather close to the magic number - assuming that count the total of both accounts.  

If they do want a FR, I will not have any problem backing it up, as I was spot on as far as the income I stated.  I just don't want to have to do it for a $2K increase.  

The e-mail states "to get the details of our decision" sure makes it sound like the decision has been made, so I am not sure what the phone call is about.  Odd.  

fair enough. Well keep us posted on monday what happens. I would like to think if they did end up FR, you could request a more appropriate amount.  As long as your ducks are in a row its a pretty painless process from what I have read.

Message 4 of 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

@EW800 wrote:

It would not be a FR. Financial Review is when they take the initiative to start locking down your access to your accounts when they demand more information.

From a CLI request, it may be that they want more information, perhaps a 4506-T, but it may be less than that. In the case of the CLI request, they may not grant it, but they aren't in the process of locking down your cards.

And there really isn't a magic number, it depends on the individual file and how AMEX sees it. I went from a $9k Delta card, added $10k Hilton, then bumped the Delta to $12k using my CLI request, then got $10k SPG and $15k EDP (in that order) and a PRG, and all of these were instapprovals, all since April, no request for more data and I'm at $47k in revolvers now.

Good luck on the increase!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@EW800 wrote:

It would not be a FR. Financial Review is when they take the initiative to start locking down your access to your accounts when they demand more information.

From a CLI request, it may be that they want more information, perhaps a 4506-T, but it may be less than that. In the case of the CLI request, they may not grant it, but they aren't in the process of locking down your cards.

And there really isn't a magic number, it depends on the individual file and how AMEX sees it. I went from a $9k Delta card, added $10k Hilton, then bumped the Delta to $12k using my CLI request, then got $10k SPG and $15k EDP (in that order) and a PRG, and all of these were instapprovals, all since April, no request for more data and I'm at $47k in revolvers now.

yo gabba gabba yabba dabba do, I thought I was loved by amex with my 3 instaprovals...but you my friend, wow you have FIVE all with great limits. Noiche!

Message 6 of 11
EW800
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@EW800 wrote:

Thanks for much for the input and thoughts.  I agree with you that it does not sound like a FR, at least to my knowledge.   It appears that both accounts are still open, and they would not have any reason that I am aware of to take any AA.  Both accounts are PIF before the statements cut and my total util of all revolving accounts across the board is about $15 on one account out of $98K total CL's.  All accounts but one are PIF before the statement cuts.  

I am sure curious.  I will report back what I find out on Monday.  

Message 7 of 11
fury1995
Valued Contributor

@EW800 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@EW800 wrote:

Thanks for much for the input and thoughts.  I agree with you that it does not sound like a FR, at least to my knowledge.   It appears that both accounts are still open, and they would not have any reason that I am aware of to take any AA.  Both accounts are PIF before the statements cut and my total util of all revolving accounts across the board is about $15 on one account out of $98K total CL's.  All accounts but one are PIF before the statement cuts.  

I am sure curious.  I will report back what I find out on Monday.  

I know this is a limit increase request but have you checked the Amex app status page?

Also,is the account eligible? How long since your last increase on any AMex accounts?

August 28, 2023 FICO 8

August 28, 2023 FICO BankCard 8

August 28, 2023 FICO Auto 8

citi-costco-ImgurCiti-Double-Cash
Message 8 of 11
EW800
Valued Contributor

To those that replied or are following this thread, thank you for your support and feedback!

I called Amex this morning. It is a simple decline because I am a couple of weeks shy of the six months since my last CLI. No idea why they sent the e-mail that I should call in instead of the typical letter.

Thanks to each of you!
Message 9 of 11
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

I wonder how you can look up your most recent request for a CLI.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.