Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Joint Acct Query

tag
Jarnog
Frequent Contributor

Amex Joint Acct Query

My mother is willing to be a joint account holder on an Amex card. 

She checked prequal sites and basically is pre-qualified for all of the "prime" cards.  Her credit may not  be perfect, but it is up there.  Now the question I have is, since she is willing to do this, would it be better for me to app and add her as a joint, or for her to app and add me?  I ask because, as odd as this may sound, she has no need for the card, doesn't want the card, and would never use the card.  It is basically going to be my card....to manage etc and get that proverbial "foot in the door" with Amex. 

Thought about the AU route, but again, she doesn't want the card to use for herself.  Any advice and expertise is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Amex Joint Acct Query

@Jarnog wrote:

My mother is willing to be a joint account holder on an Amex card. 

She checked prequal sites and basically is pre-qualified for all of the "prime" cards.  Her credit may not  be perfect, but it is up there.  Now the question I have is, since she is willing to do this, would it be better for me to app and add her as a joint, or for her to app and add me?  I ask because, as odd as this may sound, she has no need for the card, doesn't want the card, and would never use the card.  It is basically going to be my card....to manage etc and get that proverbial "foot in the door" with Amex. 

Thought about the AU route, but again, she doesn't want the card to use for herself.  Any advice and expertise is greatly appreciated.

Amex doesn't offer joint accounts; only ACMs

Message 2 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

it would still be great to get foot in door but she would have to apply and add you to AU but that will set your member date with amex just the same! I would do Blue Cash Everyday or the new Everyday.

Message 3 of 5
Jarnog
Frequent Contributor

Oh, had no idea that they didn't do this.

Glad I asked then LoL.

So the best route then would be for her to get the card, add me as an AU/ACM, then she can SD it and I take care of it.

Does this start a "relationship" with Amex in my name also? 

Thanks!!

Message 4 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Jarnog wrote:

Oh, had no idea that they didn't do this.

Glad I asked then LoL.

So the best route then would be for her to get the card, add me as an AU/ACM, then she can SD it and I take care of it.

Does this start a "relationship" with Amex in my name also? 

Thanks!!

Correct, when you are made ACM with all the bells and whistles of it sometimes you have to remind yourself it's not your card becasue you create your own log in, security questions, etc.. when you call in if you are full on ACM you can pretty much do ANYTHING with that account!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.