Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Lied About Sign On Bonus

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Amex Lied About Sign On Bonus

@TiggerDat wrote:

There really are just two things that should be and have been pointed out here.  The lie by the CSR and not simply requesting a new card for the lost one.

If he is bonus chasing or churning then he knows it and that really is his business.  

About the lie, they all lie, it doesn't matter that they are Amex, they get paid extra for an application, they don't really like their job, they don't really care about customers, they want you off the phone, they weren't trained right, they want to go home, whatever the reason, they simply lie.  Where it is happening might not be tolerated as much as other places.  Amex might fire the person for lying, while CapOne will ignore it.  Amex really isn't what it was 50 years ago, they really are just another credit card company.

Oh, btw, go churn or chase some more, it is a great way to get some nice things.  Just take your time doing it so that they don't figure it out.

Yes, I don't really understand the negative reactions here.  OPs case was simply stated:

"I specifically asked about the bonus. I was told yes, it says you will get the bonus, there is a notationa of a policy waiver. I called back agian and was told the same thing"

and then being told no notation, no bonus for you.

Yes, OP could have got the replacement card sooner, or applied for a different card, or become a drug kingpin, but none of those was the point.   Simply felt lied to by the CSRs  (TiggerDat is quite right that this is almost universal!)

Contrasting it with the outpouring of support when someone is denied a CLI.....   Oh well.

Message 21 of 24
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

OP, im sorry if you feel i am being argumenative. I am not . I can understand going for a card for a bonus, and for those who only chase bonuses thats all and good its up to the individual. My take was on how you worded it, perhaps i an wrong and i apologize if you feel this was too literal. However, i guess the msin part where i dont feel is correct is getting a card and somehow misplacing it upwards of the 3 months you had to complete the bonus and then since you didnt have time to complete the bonus , felt you should get another chance. The dog ate my homework excuse doesnt quite work here. What would or should stop someone ffrom" misplacing " there card and only having found a week before deadline and then wanting an extension or canceling card and reapping to get more time for another chance at said bonus.Thats not fair. I know accidents happen and we can lose or misplace things but that being said, that was my issue and i voiced it, again sorry if that offends you but its my opinion and when you post sometimes we will have differing opinions. Have a good day.
Message 22 of 24
NRB525
Super Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
OP, im sorry if you feel i am being argumenative. I am not . I can understand going for a card for a bonus, and for those who only chase bonuses thats all and good its up to the individual. My take was on how you worded it, perhaps i an wrong and i apologize if you feel this was too literal. However, i guess the msin part where i dont feel is correct is getting a card and somehow misplacing it upwards of the 3 months you had to complete the bonus and then since you didnt have time to complete the bonus , felt you should get another chance. The dog ate my homework excuse doesnt quite work here. What would or should stop someone ffrom" misplacing " there card and only having found a week before deadline and then wanting an extension or canceling card and reapping to get more time for another chance at said bonus.Thats not fair. I know accidents happen and we can lose or misplace things but that being said, that was my issue and i voiced it, again sorry if that offends you but its my opinion and when you post sometimes we will have differing opinions. Have a good day.

You are entitled to your opinion, but in a forum where we try to be FSR, there is no obligation to voice all opinions. Often, it is better just to keep them quiet.  Smiley Wink

OP has stated concerns clearly. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 23 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

While the OP may have made some mistakes in losing the card and just not finishing the bonus the first time around, he's perfectly right to be upset over a CSR providing misleading and incorrect information that led him to believe he would get the bonus and then to be told later that this was completely wrong.  It's entirely understandable to think that when a CSR tells you something and then you take action based on that information, that you are being given correct information.

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.