Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Limits Reallocation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Limits Reallocation

We bought it in 2011 for $.50 a point, which was half the going rate at the time. An older couple wanted a quick sale and we happened to be in contact with the broker.

HCNY memberships used to be set to expire in 2032 whereas properties like West 57th are perpetual. Hilton decided to change their model to perpetual for the HCNY and needed points back since they were planning on selling them for a lot more than before. They actually did a pro-rated refund of what the original purchase price was by the first owners. In this case they paid $3.82 a point in 2006. We got $2.26 a point for our "refund".

You should see how hard it is to find tax information on handling a gain on a timsehare sale. There is tons of info on losses..... Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just don't pay any CG tax on it, if you get audited you can say the tax codes were buried and your CPA could'nt find them... I was once a Finance guy and I don't recall ever hearing of anyone making out that well on a timeshare. You are very fortunate, well played!

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just don't pay any CG tax on it, if you get audited you can say the tax codes were buried and your CPA could'nt find them... I was once a Finance guy and I don't recall ever hearing of anyone making out that well on a timeshare. You are very fortunate, well played!

Thanks, it was a good deal.

Unfortunately my CPA is my wife and we both work in audit at our State Revenue Dept. She's an auditor and I'm in management.

If we got audited we'd be toast.....Smiley Surprised

Message 13 of 18
onstar
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@salek10 wrote:

@onstar wrote:

Hmmmm. That's interesting. Because I was able to transfer CL from my Amex Delta (10 months old) to my Amex SPG (1 week old) via phone yesterday.

That's awesome!! they probably liked you more than me lol... Do you use your cards very often?? I hardly used the costco one so Idk maybe if you have more usage on the account they maybe let you do it earlier? 

Yes, that is unusual (although maybe policies, like the 61 day wait for CLI are loosening).   I've had the "To" card conditoin waived, transferring to a brand new card, but I had heard that the From condition was always enforced.

FALSE ALARM. Sorry. On the phone, they said that it was no problem. She said wait a couple days for it to take effect.

It's been almost a week, and still CL was the same.

I got a letter yesterday that because the SPG card was too new, they couldn't do the CL reallocation.

Why couldn't they tell me this on the phone???

Smiley Sad

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 14 of 18
NRB525
Super Contributor

@onstar wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@salek10 wrote:

@onstar wrote:

Hmmmm. That's interesting. Because I was able to transfer CL from my Amex Delta (10 months old) to my Amex SPG (1 week old) via phone yesterday.

That's awesome!! they probably liked you more than me lol... Do you use your cards very often?? I hardly used the costco one so Idk maybe if you have more usage on the account they maybe let you do it earlier? 

Yes, that is unusual (although maybe policies, like the 61 day wait for CLI are loosening).   I've had the "To" card conditoin waived, transferring to a brand new card, but I had heard that the From condition was always enforced.

FALSE ALARM. Sorry. On the phone, they said that it was no problem. She said wait a couple days for it to take effect.

It's been almost a week, and still CL was the same.

I got a letter yesterday that because the SPG card was too new, they couldn't do the CL reallocation.

Why couldn't they tell me this on the phone???

Smiley Sad

Because it has to go through the actual procedures.

This is the sort of situation where people realize there are different levels of knowlege among CSR at each call center.

13 months is my understanding of policy. And I think that includes after any CLI on the source CL. So if you had a card for 13 months, but did a 3X CLI at 6 months, it would be another 6 months, to wait for that CLI to season 13 months, before the CL could be moved.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 15 of 18
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

I did a reallocation and transferred $5k from my Delta Skymiles card (had forever) to my new BCP and did it the day I received my BCP.  No issues at all with doing this, and the available credit showed up online pretty much instantly.  So the card the balance allocation is going TO doesn't appear to be an issue, but I heard the same thing as others about the FROM account needing to be 13 statements old.  YMMV, as with everything credit-related.  Smiley Wink

Message 16 of 18
onstar
Established Contributor

@disdreamin wrote:

I did a reallocation and transferred $5k from my Delta Skymiles card (had forever) to my new BCP and did it the day I received my BCP.  No issues at all with doing this, and the available credit showed up online pretty much instantly.  So the card the balance allocation is going TO doesn't appear to be an issue, but I heard the same thing as others about the FROM account needing to be 13 statements old.  YMMV, as with everything credit-related.  Smiley Wink

The letter may have said that my Delta was too new, not my SPG. I already shredded the letter. 

Delta is 10 months old. I guess they really want you to pay the AF before moving CL out of it.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 17 of 18
lolabelle
Regular Contributor

I tried to reallocate some of my credit limit from my Blue Cash Preferred to my Blue Sky using the website a few days ago.  I've had both cards for a few years, have a total credit limit around $20K, and have reallocated once before (a long while ago).  The last time, it went into effect instantaneously.  This time, they reduced my credit limit on the BCP instantaneously and still have not - as of today - increased my Blue Sky.  So I have had about $5,500 of available credit just disappear.  I use my BCP all the time and never carry a balance.  

I contacted a CSR through online chat and was told this:  "A Request made on 02/26/15 From your Blue Cash Preferred to Blue Sky. amount of $5,500 is Pending. 

You will be advised of the decision by mail within 7-10 days from the date of the original request."

Has anyone ever had this happen under these circumstances?  Now I'm worried that they're pulling my credit report - which I definitely don't recall authorizing - or decreasing my credit limit.  I'm down to one inquiry on my credit reports, which is supposed to drop off in May, so this is going to seriously irk me if they put another on there, or if they reduce my credit limit for no good reason.

Starting Score: 732 (EQ)
Current Score: EQ 08 - 837! Whoo!! (5/14/14);EQ 04 - 795! (5/15/14) 748 (TU - 5/21/12); 760 (EX - 4/16/12 AMEX pull)
Original Goal Score: 760+ EQ --> decimated!
New Goal Score: Just keep swimming...

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.