Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Lowering TrueEarnings CLs?

tag
RSCo
Established Contributor

Amex Lowering TrueEarnings CLs?

I check my accounts pretty much each day.. I just checked my Amex account and noticed that my True Earnings CL had been lowered from $10k down to $5,600.  This just happened yesterday or today. I've had it, and 2 others for years and never carry balances.. I wonder if Amex is already preparing for the Citi cutover, specifically in regards to lowering their exposure prior to the cut over?  Check your accounts folks.....  

$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Lowering TrueEarnings CLs?

That's BS. Did you call and find out why?
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RSCo wrote:

I check my accounts pretty much each day.. I just checked my Amex account and noticed that my True Earnings CL had been lowered from $10k down to $5,600.  This just happened yesterday or today. I've had it, and 2 others for years and never carry balances.. I wonder if Amex is already preparing for the Citi cutover, specifically in regards to lowering their exposure prior to the cut over?  Check your accounts folks.....  

Thats interesting and good to know.. I'd call and see why that happen..

Message 3 of 11
RSCo
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
That's BS. Did you call and find out why?

I'm going to call them in the morning.. I wonder if it's some move by them to try and hit costco by limiting their customers borrowing limits which would impact sales..  Or maybe  Citi wanted to limit their initial exposure until they've had a chance to rate us after the cutover..  Just my thoughts.. Or, maybe it's just me..  We should see what happens on here in the coming days as I'm sure others will report on it if they've been hit.. 

Message 4 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

This is very interesting... Would be suprised if there is any correlation between the cut-over or not.. Please keep us informed of what the explanation is..  Do you use this card normally?

Pretty much can gurantee you that Amex wouldnt lower the credit lines to help Citi out... I couldn't possibly see that part of Amex / Costco's original contract.also citi/amex has no contract, but citi must take over Amex's account per costco.  

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Still $2,500

Wife can't get a CLI from AMEX to save her life. Lol.

Message 6 of 11
RSCo
Established Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

This is very interesting... Would be suprised if there is any correlation between the cut-over or not.. Please keep us informed of what the explanation is..  Do you use this card normally?

Not to heavily.. Mostly just at costco where I put between 500-850ish a month on it but pay it off. I don't think it's ever billed more than 2k on it during a cycle. That could be it.. But I've not had my CLs lowered just out of the blue..  Myfico's are around 815-825. 

Message 7 of 11
manyquestions
Established Contributor

Mine still has the same limit.

Message 8 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Ya what you put on it won't matter per month...  I put about 500-1k on mine a month @ 23k limit, not the TE card though...Tons of people on the fourms have > 20k TL and probably only use 300-500 a month on theirs.  Was just wondering if you made it dormant is all.

It could be TE, but be surprised.. Maybe overall exposure with them or other new TL's being fairly high?  We can only speculate until you inform us tomorrow of what they state or other people start reporting the same.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine is 3,000 but I've never tried to get a CLI. I would probably get one but we really only charge like 100-150 a month on ours if that. We get more use out of our BJ's membership. I'm looking forward to hearing what their reasoning is...really wish Amex had more attractive cards we could PC to. Not interested in this Blue cash and don't need another visa.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.