Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex MR Points Redemption

tag
ways2go
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex MR Points Redemption

Amex ED points are generally worth .6 of a penny on redemption on general purchases. Basically it's not even a 1% Cashback card.  One point is worth one penny at McDonald's though.  I would transfer my cl on my ED card to my TE card,  if I knew what Amex was going to do with that card.   Then again my ED card apr is 12.99%.  

Message 11 of 21
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Mr cards are not cash back cards imo. They should be used for redemption with travel partners. You will get much better value.

For me at the very least I would use Mr to travel from NYC to Florida or Caribbean which is 20-25k via Ba avios. That's at least 2 cpp value I think

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mongstradamus wrote:
Mr cards are not cash back cards imo. They should be used for redemption with travel partners. You will get much better value.

For me at the very least I would use Mr to travel from NYC to Florida or Caribbean which is 20-25k via Ba avios. That's at least 2 cpp value I think

+1

If you want cashback get a cashback card. MR cards are for travel rewards. 

Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Best redemption options for Amex MR points are (roughly in order): 

1. Transfer to airline mile programs - especially BA, Singapore, Flying Blue and maybe Delta if you can find space (2 cents or more per point if done right, much more if booking Business/First class)

2. Use points to book air travel or get gift cards (1 cent per point)

3. Everything else, which you shouldn't even consider (less than 1 cent per point)

+1

Message 14 of 21
jsucool76
Super Contributor

10k points isn't enough to do anything with any partners anyways (unless there's a ba bonus)

my suggestion is to pocket the points for a while, get a good pile going, and transfer them to BA to use for some domestic short-haul flights. they come in handy if you need to fly to another city in order to begin your long haul trip.
Message 15 of 21
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Please excuse my ignorance fellow members but my latest Amex is the only points card I have with them and not absolutely certain how points work. Smiley Happy

@Anonymous wrote:

I have the 10k bonus points from the Everyday card and I don't know what to do with them either.

In future make sure you carefully research before applying. For rewards programs like MR, UR, etc you definitely need to consider redemptions as they greatly affect point value.  Don't just look at the points earn rates and sign on bonuses.  Make sure you know how you're going to use the points to get the most value for them.

Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

......in the future Im hoping that I could get an answer to my actual question asked. I understand that transferring to this and that partner is usually the most beneficial way of using points however like I stated this is a *package* with air/hotel included that I'll be booking through Amex travel.

Even if 10k ends up being all of $10 off I was simply curious as to whether anyone with experience would know in this situation. Probably should have expected that most here dont use MR for travel packages Smiley Happy But thank you all for the responses as I'm sure they have helped others.

Takeshi did I suggest anywhere in my post that I only picked this card bc of points or a sign on bonus? Sheesh. All I'm looking for is how these points affect this one particular trip. In the future I'm not going through a million different strategies to figure out "best value" cause thats just not my thing. (sorry Mongs, dont yell at me)

Enjoy your day all
Message 17 of 21
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
......in the future Im hoping that I could get an answer to my actual question asked. I understand that transferring to this and that partner is usually the most beneficial way of using points however like I stated this is a *package* with air/hotel included that I'll be booking through Amex travel.

Even if 10k ends up being all of $10 off I was simply curious as to whether anyone with experience would know in this situation. Probably should have expected that most here dont use MR for travel packages Smiley Happy But thank you all for the responses as I'm sure they have helped others.

Takeshi did I suggest anywhere in my post that I only picked this card bc of points or a sign on bonus? Sheesh. All I'm looking for is how these points affect this one particular trip. In the future I'm not going through a million different strategies to figure out "best value" cause thats just not my thing. (sorry Mongs, dont yell at me)

Enjoy your day all

I would just call AMEX and see then. my guess is it's .01 cpp. Sorry we couldn't be more help.

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its ok, no biggie. Sometimes we dont always have the answers around here. Smiley Happy Planned to contact them later this afternoon. Thanks longtime_lurker
Message 19 of 21
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Looks like 117 points = $1 when redeemed for an air+hotel package. 

Works out to 0.85 cents per point or $0.0085. Not great. 

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.