Reply
Valued Contributor
Rhaeny
Posts: 1,507
Registered: ‎07-24-2011
0

Amex MSD-Should I just let this go?

Okay so my credit reports show a date opened 1984 on two different accounts, plus the accounts still show opened as of today.  The primary cardholder opened the account in the late 70's so it's not the primary cardholders open date.

 

I have called Amex 3 different times, and each CSR keeps telling me that the date they show that I had my first card was in 1992.  I then ask why does my credit report show 1984.  I am then told that is probably when the primary card holder first opened the account but they can't verify that because the account is closed and so old that they can't see it.

 

I am then told that the MSD of 1992 is when *I* first opened my own account.  All of the 3 CSR's told me the same thing that 1992 is when I opened my own account.

 

But wait.....

 

I have never applied for my own Amex until a week ago! :smileysurprised:

 

So I can't figure out WTH they are talking about.  I know for sure that I had a card in my hands well before 1992, but I'm hesitant to push it anymore because they are showing that I had my own account in 1992.  So something is really messed up in their system when it comes down to me.

 

And to add on to that, the primary cardholder that I was an AU on filed BK on Amex in 2009 and took them down for almost $30K.  When the primary cardholder told me that things were going downhill I asked for my account to be closed.

 

So should I just leave this alone and accept the 1992 date?

 

I just don't want to rock the boat but I'm sure that this is wrong.

 

 


Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Established Contributor
TheGardner
Posts: 826
Registered: ‎01-12-2014
0

Re: Amex MSD-Should I just let this go?

Wow, great question. I'm curious too lol!

Was the year the main account (that went bankrupt) 1992 by chance?
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 720 for all in 2014.
TU - 762 EX - 703 EQ - 706 myfico 3 score watch

In the Garden Last APP Oct 23, 2014. Last HP the great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Valued Contributor
Rhaeny
Posts: 1,507
Registered: ‎07-24-2011
0

Re: Amex MSD-Should I just let this go?


TheGardner wrote:
Wow, great question. I'm curious too lol!

Was the year the main account (that went bankrupt) 1992 by chance?

No, it was 2009.


Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Established Contributor
Uppingmyscore
Posts: 516
Registered: ‎12-28-2012
0

Re: Amex MSD-Should I just let this go?

[ Edited ]

I would move on and accept the 1992 membership date.  JMHO....I personally wouldn't want to piss them off over something like this; however I do understand your point.  

 

Edit for typo :-)

My Wallet: Amex Express BCE $27,000, Amex Express Blue Sky $6,000, Discover $10,000, Chase Freedom $5,000, Capital One $3,750, Barclay $8,500 (AU), Jared $10,000, Pottery Barn $8,000, Sam's $10,000, Ashley's Furniture $6,000, Lowe's $7,500 (AU), Express Next $2,960, and Macy's Store Card (Joint Account) $2,000.

Last Application March 25, 2014. Score ranges 700+
Established Contributor
TheGardner
Posts: 826
Registered: ‎01-12-2014
0

Re: Amex MSD-Should I just let this go?

Very odd. I wonder where the 1992 date came from. I'm not really sure if arguing the point with them will help if they have no record of the original account you were an AU on. The bankruptcy account was the second time you were an AU on a Amex I assume , totally separate accounts?
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 720 for all in 2014.
TU - 762 EX - 703 EQ - 706 myfico 3 score watch

In the Garden Last APP Oct 23, 2014. Last HP the great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Valued Contributor
Rhaeny
Posts: 1,507
Registered: ‎07-24-2011
0

Re: Amex MSD-Should I just let this go?


Uppingmyscore wrote:

I would move on and accept the 1992 membership date.  JMHO....I personally wouldn't want to piss them off over something like this; however I don't understand your point.  


Well, the point is that my MSD is wrong.


Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Valued Contributor
indiolatino61
Posts: 1,483
Registered: ‎11-10-2012
0

Re: Amex MSD-Should I just let this go?


Rhaeny wrote:

Okay so my credit reports show a date opened 1984 on two different accounts, plus the accounts still show opened as of today.  The primary cardholder opened the account in the late 70's so it's not the primary cardholders open date.

 

I have called Amex 3 different times, and each CSR keeps telling me that the date they show that I had my first card was in 1992.  I then ask why does my credit report show 1984.  I am then told that is probably when the primary card holder first opened the account but they can't verify that because the account is closed and so old that they can't see it.

 

I am then told that the MSD of 1992 is when *I* first opened my own account.  All of the 3 CSR's told me the same thing that 1992 is when I opened my own account.

 

But wait.....

 

I have never applied for my own Amex until a week ago! :smileysurprised:

 

So I can't figure out WTH they are talking about.  I know for sure that I had a card in my hands well before 1992, but I'm hesitant to push it anymore because they are showing that I had my own account in 1992.  So something is really messed up in their system when it comes down to me.

 

And to add on to that, the primary cardholder that I was an AU on filed BK on Amex in 2009 and took them down for almost $30K.  When the primary cardholder told me that things were going downhill I asked for my account to be closed.

 

So should I just leave this alone and accept the 1992 date?

 

I just don't want to rock the boat but I'm sure that this is wrong.

 

 


Strange dating situation...well, if your CR's are accurate and you feel it is important for AmEx to correct their MSD date, then definitely follow-up. If you are worried about being connected to the BK, even though AU's are not responsible for the account's payment, then I would just accept the 1992 MSD. Just my opinion...I'm not sure what the best course of action should be...the best of luck to you.

 photo Logo-CreditCardCollection-DataInclusive_zpsf395b751.jpg
Established Contributor
Uppingmyscore
Posts: 516
Registered: ‎12-28-2012
0

Re: Amex MSD-Should I just let this go?

@ Rhaney that was the typo I corrected. Don't vs. Do

 

Please see my message again.  You replied back before noticing my change.  Again I do understand your point, but personally wouldn't rock the boat with Amex Express when their records says something otherwise.

My Wallet: Amex Express BCE $27,000, Amex Express Blue Sky $6,000, Discover $10,000, Chase Freedom $5,000, Capital One $3,750, Barclay $8,500 (AU), Jared $10,000, Pottery Barn $8,000, Sam's $10,000, Ashley's Furniture $6,000, Lowe's $7,500 (AU), Express Next $2,960, and Macy's Store Card (Joint Account) $2,000.

Last Application March 25, 2014. Score ranges 700+
Valued Contributor
Rhaeny
Posts: 1,507
Registered: ‎07-24-2011
0

Re: Amex MSD-Should I just let this go?


TheGardner wrote:
Very odd. I wonder where the 1992 date came from. I'm not really sure if arguing the point with them will help if they have no record of the original account you were an AU on. The bankruptcy account was the second time you were an AU on a Amex I assume , totally separate accounts?

Yea they have the original account I was on.  But they can't find where I was added on in 1984.  They are saying that since I opened my own account in 1992, which I didn't, that this is the date that they're using.

 

And I was on the same Amex account from way back then up until the original cardholder filed BK in 2009.  

 

Of course for me the biggest benefit for me is my AAoA since some of accounts fell off for no apparent reason.  My AAoA dropped from 5.6 years to 2.9 years overnight :smileysad:


Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Established Contributor
CribDuchess
Posts: 659
Registered: ‎09-12-2011
0

Re: Amex MSD-Should I just let this go?

I've read on here that Amex has a Credit Bureau Reporting division - maybe try talking to someone in that area rather than regular/frontline CSR?

 

Good luck to you in your quest.  I think I would still be pretty happy with my credit reports reflecting the 1984 opening date, although I would worry that at some point they may end up with the 1992 opening date.

FICOs: TU08 841 10/6/14 per Wally; TU98 800 4/8/14; EQ04 769 6/8/14; EQ08 800 11/8/14; EX 805 6/12/14 per MyFICO

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex Costco TE $15K; Amex BCE $12K; BofA Visa $10.1K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Citi Double Cash $10K; Citi Simplicity Visa $15.1K; Discover IT $24K; Fidelity Amex $25K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $20K; Sallie Mae WMC $12.5K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $24.5K; Walmart Discover $10K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}