Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex MSD question

tag
mikhro
Valued Member

Amex MSD question

Can't find a similar post to mine, so here is a question for the Amex Veterans

I applied for the Amex PRG in August of this year, and its my 1st Amex ever. Amex has been reporting in my CR August as my first date of history with them.
Now, I want to apply for the Amex BCP in January of 2014. Will my MSD change to January 13 in my CR or stay August 13 to match my PRG?

I was planning to garden until July 2014, so I can get a new car loan with a sweet rate, but don't want to miss my chance to backdate and help my AAOA

Your input is greatly appreciated as always, and thanks in advanced Smiley Wink
Shhhhhh, don't let anyone hear Im planning to jump the fence in 3 months
In the garden until June 2014
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Amex MSD question

The second card would report as Jan 2013 making it appear older than your first card.
Message 2 of 3
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex MSD question

The MSD only sets the year.

So in this case, MSD 2013 (from your first Amex in 2013), if you were to apply in 01/14 your open date on your credit report will be 01/13, free year of AAoA.

That said, you can get the backdate to 2013 *anytime*.  I don't honestly think that a single inquiry / new tradeline in January would hurt all that much by July, it may even be a positive with 6 months of payment history on it vs. one additional inquiry (since you won't be at zero otherwise by July anyway) depending what the rest of your credit report looks like; however, a year of backdating isn't worth coming out of the garden for ever.  That will always be there, your shot at the best possible auto loan rate won't be.  

Always prioritize big ticket items, mortgage >> auto >> credit cards.

>> = much greater than in this case when it comes to relative importance.

        
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.