Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Made Odd Change to Credit Report

tag
EW800
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Made Odd Change to Credit Report

For those following this crazy issue, an update....

The status of closed account is now showing on all three reports, so pretty far fetched for it to be a credit bureau error.

I called Amex Credit Unit this morning. The person I spoke to states that they did not report this info to the credit bureau. They state that the accoubt is open and in perfect standing. I stressed to the guy that all three agencies are now showing this as a closed account as the status, as well as comments added that the account was closed with zero balance. Again, they guy stayed they did not report this. They referred me back to the main Amex customer service number.

I called customer service and was again told by them that the account is open and in good standing. They stated it had to be an Amex credit unit issue. Argh...

I called the credit unit again and asked for a supervisor. The not-very-friendly person stated that there was no superviser available and that it would be 24-48 hours for one to call me back. What a crock....

I was extremely nice and very professional with all parties, yet still stuck in his finger pointing at the two departments. Smiley Sad

Not sure where to go from here. I am wondering if just waiting a month for them to report to the three bureaus again will auto correct itself or if I should try another angle. Very odd.

I welcome any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks!
Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 11 of 29
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@EW800 wrote:
For those following this crazy issue, an update....

The status of closed account is now showing on all three reports, so pretty far fetched for it to be a credit bureau error.

I called Amex Credit Unit this morning. The person I spoke to states that they did not report this info to the credit bureau. They state that the accoubt is open and in perfect standing. I stressed to the guy that all three agencies are now showing this as a closed account as the status, as well as comments added that the account was closed with zero balance. Again, they guy stayed they did not report this. They referred me back to the main Amex customer service number.

I called customer service and was again told by them that the account is open and in good standing. They stated it had to be an Amex credit unit issue. Argh...

I called the credit unit again and asked for a supervisor. The not-very-friendly person stated that there was no superviser available and that it would be 24-48 hours for one to call me back. What a crock....

I was extremely nice and very professional with all parties, yet still stuck in his finger pointing at the two departments. Smiley Sad

Not sure where to go from here. I am wondering if just waiting a month for them to report to the three bureaus again will auto correct itself or if I should try another angle. Very odd.

I welcome any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks!

well sorry to hear they are not being any help EW...first wait for them to call you back and see if upper management can resolve and correct the issue. If they still give yo the same run around then file a dispute with each CR agency and maybe they will correct it once they send it to amex.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 12 of 29
IamB2
Established Contributor

Hi EW

Sorry you had no luck with their Credit Reporting team. I think this is an Amex error rather than a CRA error. They may have sent the wrong info to the CRAs. I know it is a pain, but give it a day or two and it should resolve itself out once they contact you back. Should be fine.

Did you try to buy a cup of coffee as someone suggested to confirm if account is open? (Sorry if I missed the update).

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

CITI ThankYou Preferred - CL: $2,000

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 13 of 29
EW800
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I sure agree that it must be an Amex issue. If it were one CRA then I would say that it could be them, but with all three I am not sure how it could be anything but.

Yes, I have done two charges, one yesterday and one today. No issues.

I will stay on top of it and report what happens. Odd to say the least!

Thanks again!
Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 14 of 29
IamB2
Established Contributor

@EW800 wrote:
Hi,

I sure agree that it must be an Amex issue. If it were one CRA then I would say that it could be them, but with all three I am not sure how it could be anything but.

Yes, I have done two charges, one yesterday and one today. No issues.

I will stay on top of it and report what happens. Odd to say the least!

Thanks again!

Odd indeed! I am sure they will correct it. Most important part is that the account is still opened, so reporting can be adjusted. You can also ask them to do a mid-cycle update to correct the issue. I am sure they would be OK with it (albeit I don't have any experience with Amex about this). But I can't logically see any issues why they wouldn't

Keep us posted!

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 15 of 29
EW800
Valued Contributor

To those that are following this thread, I have a bit of an update...   

I have continued to call Amex Customer Service, as well as the Amex Credit Unit, each time falling on pretty much deaf ears, meanwhile I have continued to use my Amex Card without any problems, proviong that it is still an open account.   No matter how hard I tried to explain to the Credit Unit that it was pretty much impossible for all three CRA's to report the same error, on the same account, in the same week, they still would not listen.  

Finally, I got someone in the Amex Credit Unit that did not blow me off and actually listened.  He agreed with me that despite the fact that they showed my account open and in good standing, and showed no sign of reporting the account as closed to the CRA's, he agreed with me that it was a bit far-fetched for all three CRA's to show the same mistake on the same account at the same time.  This gentleman put me on hold a few times, and was supposedly digging deeper and speaking to supervisors.  

The verdict....   Sort of....  The gentleman in the Credit Unit believes that a couple of things that happened on the account nearly simultaneously. caused a hiccup in how my account reported.  He admitted that it really was a guess, however it was the closest that he and his supervisor could figure out as to what took place.  Here are the issues that they claim took place nearly simultaneously.... 

-- I received a CLI from $9,500 to $22,500

-- A 30-day late that I had from October of 2012 was removed.  This is something that I was working with the EO on four months ago.  They said they would remove this late, but they never did.  I had basically given up for not, but it looks like four months later they got around to it. 

-- My statement closed its normal cycle and reported to the CRA's.  

So, the GUESS is that all of these happening at once, caused a temporary hiccup.  Who knows for sure.  I could not get anyone to agree to do a mid-cycle update, however a few days ago it somehow got corrected on my EQUIFAX report.  It now shows as open, CL of $22,500 and the 30-day late from 2012 is gone.  Experian and TU are still showing the account as CLOSED (TU with the old CL and Exp with the new CL), and both with the 30-day late gone.  I am pretty sure or hopeful that in the next week or so these two CRA's will update with the correct information.  

IF what caused this hiccup is accurate, and I don't think anyone knows for sure, it just shows that credit reporting is NOT perfect, which all of us here already know.  

Thanks again for the support everyone!  

Message 16 of 29
IamB2
Established Contributor

Congrats!! Thanks for the update. Glad it FINALLY worked out! :-)

Message 17 of 29
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

I've seen where occasionally, a request for removal of lates gets misinterpreted as removal of line. Also, eq and TU are usually a few days behind in updates compared to ex,
Signature needs updating
Message 18 of 29
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

@EW800 wrote:

To those that are following this thread, I have a bit of an update...   

I have continued to call Amex Customer Service, as well as the Amex Credit Unit, each time falling on pretty much deaf ears, meanwhile I have continued to use my Amex Card without any problems, proviong that it is still an open account.   No matter how hard I tried to explain to the Credit Unit that it was pretty much impossible for all three CRA's to report the same error, on the same account, in the same week, they still would not listen.  

Finally, I got someone in the Amex Credit Unit that did not blow me off and actually listened.  He agreed with me that despite the fact that they showed my account open and in good standing, and showed no sign of reporting the account as closed to the CRA's, he agreed with me that it was a bit far-fetched for all three CRA's to show the same mistake on the same account at the same time.  This gentleman put me on hold a few times, and was supposedly digging deeper and speaking to supervisors.  

The verdict....   Sort of....  The gentleman in the Credit Unit believes that a couple of things that happened on the account nearly simultaneously. caused a hiccup in how my account reported.  He admitted that it really was a guess, however it was the closest that he and his supervisor could figure out as to what took place.  Here are the issues that they claim took place nearly simultaneously.... 

-- I received a CLI from $9,500 to $22,500

-- A 30-day late that I had from October of 2012 was removed.  This is something that I was working with the EO on four months ago.  They said they would remove this late, but they never did.  I had basically given up for not, but it looks like four months later they got around to it. 

-- My statement closed its normal cycle and reported to the CRA's.  

So, the GUESS is that all of these happening at once, caused a temporary hiccup.  Who knows for sure.  I could not get anyone to agree to do a mid-cycle update, however a few days ago it somehow got corrected on my EQUIFAX report.  It now shows as open, CL of $22,500 and the 30-day late from 2012 is gone.  Experian and TU are still showing the account as CLOSED (TU with the old CL and Exp with the new CL), and both with the 30-day late gone.  I am pretty sure or hopeful that in the next week or so these two CRA's will update with the correct information.  

IF what caused this hiccup is accurate, and I don't think anyone knows for sure, it just shows that credit reporting is NOT perfect, which all of us here already know.  

Thanks again for the support everyone!  

Glad it was fixed.  One thing we can see is that as good as the AMEX product is, they seem to lack in CSR department with a lot of people.  I had a not too good experience with them as well in the short time I have had my card.

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 19 of 29
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

I had a similar issue happen when I paid off my truck loan with NFCU in late October.  Suddenly EQ was showing paid, all green "ok's", but with a note stating Two or less times late!

That notation dropped my EQ FICO by nearly 40 points.  Called Navy Fed...they said all was fine.  Bought report directly from EQ & disputed the notation & within 2 weeks, my score went back up by 33 points (ya never get it all back right away!) and now as other payments are posting after giving my cards a good workout over Christmas, my scores are all slowly bumping back up.

Glad to hear it seems to be getting corrected. It certainly is a game & I have learned how to play it well on these forums!!

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.