Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Maximum Exposure?

tag
EW800
Valued Contributor

Amex Maximum Exposure?

Hello Friends,  

Just wondering if anyone knows what Amex is considering the maximum exposure these day where a FR could be an issue.  I have two cards with them, Optima at $15.5K and ED at $12K, for a total of $27.5K.  I should be able to put in for an increase in the next few days.  I assume that Amex looks at both accounts combined?  If so, what value is it best to remain under?  

Thanks!  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 840; EQ8: 832; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Maximum Exposure?

@EW800 wrote:

Hello Friends,  

Just wondering if anyone knows what Amex is considering the maximum exposure these day where a FR could be an issue.  I have two cards with them, Optima at $15.5K and ED at $12K, for a total of $27.5K.  I should be able to put in for an increase in the next few days.  I assume that Amex looks at both accounts combined?  If so, what value is it best to remain under?  

Thanks!  

There is no answer to your question other than it varies per person based on credit file, income, assets, use and payment per person.

Message 2 of 22
kdm31091
Super Contributor

There's no magic number someone can tell you to stay under. As Irish said, it's based on profile, history, income, etc. So taking a poll isn't really going to work.

You should just use your common sense. If the increases are going to put your credit limits way, way above your income, then maybe think twice, especially if we're talking 2 or 3 times your income. Opinions vary on whether that's "okay" or not and many have well more than their income in credit but if you want to be more cautious that's what I would avoid.

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

There's no magic number someone can tell you to stay under. As Irish said, it's based on profile, history, income, etc. So taking a poll isn't really going to work.

You should just use your common sense. If the increases are going to put your credit limits way, way above your income, then maybe think twice, especially if we're talking 2 or 3 times your income. Opinions vary on whether that's "okay" or not and many have well more than their income in credit but if you want to be more cautious that's what I would avoid.

OP is just asking a question and it does not mean they are not using their common sense.  This is why the board is here to help him/her and also answer question they are unsure off.

Message 4 of 22
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

It's a legit question. I am sure in your 100 pages of history you might have asked tons of questions where "common sense" might have helped.

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@EW800 wrote:

Hello Friends,  

Thanks!  

@EW800,

@Anonymous @Anonymous said, it will all come down to your history and profile with Amex.  Some have been successful going over while others haven't. 

Message 6 of 22
EW800
Valued Contributor

Thanks very much, all!  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 840; EQ8: 832; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 7 of 22
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Sorry, evidently my comment came off incorrectly. I didn't mean "use your common sense" in a snide, snooty way like it may seem. I just meant that OP should assess the situation as to how much credit they can have with a lender. Your income is the first step. Then decide what you're comfortable with as far as credit vs income. Then decide how comfortable you think Amex may be with a certain amount etc.

I wasn't trying to be rude. Just saying they should use their judgement.

Message 8 of 22
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Sorry, evidently my comment came off incorrectly. I didn't mean "use your common sense" in a snide, snooty way like it may seem. I just meant that OP should assess the situation as to how much credit they can have with a lender. Your income is the first step. Then decide what you're comfortable with as far as credit vs income. Then decide how comfortable you think Amex may be with a certain amount etc.

+1   While I have had differences with kdm over tone in the past, this seemed a perfectly reasonable statement that wasn't aimed at the poster at all.

Message 9 of 22
red259
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

+1 Yes, this is exactly what I understood the post to mean. Definetly did not think it was kdm's intention to come across snide or anything of that nature and for what it is worth it didn't come across that way to me at all to begin with. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.