Reply
Established Member
Dbadup
Posts: 23
Registered: ‎08-12-2011
0

Amex Member Since

I was recently made an AU on my mothers card..She has been a member since '90. My card arrives showing a member since '11. I recently applied and was approved for the Zync. It looks as if there can be no backdating soo why keep the green? Or is there a chance for it both my zync and the green being back dated?

Senior Contributor
Walt_K
Posts: 3,065
Registered: ‎11-02-2009
0

Re: Amex Member Since

This is a YMMV situation.  I think most of the time if you get backdated to an AU card, it is the date you became an AU.  So if you just became an AU this year, then you would have a member since 11 date.  That said, I am pretty sure I've read other posts of people getting their AU card backdated to the original member's date, and then getting subsequent cards in their name backdated to that date as well.  I think this is an exception to the rule though.


Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
Odiseous
Posts: 287
Registered: ‎03-08-2011
0

Re: Amex Member Since


Walt_K wrote:

This is a YMMV situation.  I think most of the time if you get backdated to an AU card, it is the date you became an AU.  So if you just became an AU this year, then you would have a member since 11 date.  That said, I am pretty sure I've read other posts of people getting their AU card backdated to the original member's date, and then getting subsequent cards in their name backdated to that date as well.  I think this is an exception to the rule though.



As I recall (Note: I may recall incorrectly), the post I read about the success with that; was that the person had been an AU previously, but had been dropped. Time elapsed, and the AU record dropped from their CR. After it had dropped off the CR, they got their own AmEx, then called to have it backdated. Though; they specifically did not mention the account they had previously was an an AU; which likely made the difference. 

 

So; if you wanted to 1) get added an AU, 2) then get the AU dropped, 3) then wait 7 years, 4) then try to get your card backdated (by not mentioning the AU part); it may work. 

 

But, from everything else I've read; you can't get backdated to the card owner's member since date, when you are the AU. 

 

Then again; I was able to add 2 years to my AmEx through backdating to an older Corporate card I have; which apparently you are not supposed to be able to do. 

 

As always, with AmEx; it's definitely YMMV.  

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Senior Contributor
Walt_K
Posts: 3,065
Registered: ‎11-02-2009
0

Re: Amex Member Since


Odiseous wrote:

Walt_K wrote:

This is a YMMV situation.  I think most of the time if you get backdated to an AU card, it is the date you became an AU.  So if you just became an AU this year, then you would have a member since 11 date.  That said, I am pretty sure I've read other posts of people getting their AU card backdated to the original member's date, and then getting subsequent cards in their name backdated to that date as well.  I think this is an exception to the rule though.



As I recall (Note: I may recall incorrectly), the post I read about the success with that; was that the person had been an AU previously, but had been dropped. Time elapsed, and the AU record dropped from their CR. After it had dropped off the CR, they got their own AmEx, then called to have it backdated. Though; they specifically did not mention the account they had previously was an an AU; which likely made the difference. 

 

So; if you wanted to 1) get added an AU, 2) then get the AU dropped, 3) then wait 7 years, 4) then try to get your card backdated (by not mentioning the AU part); it may work. 

 

But, from everything else I've read; you can't get backdated to the card owner's member since date, when you are the AU. 

 

Then again; I was able to add 2 years to my AmEx through backdating to an older Corporate card I have; which apparently you are not supposed to be able to do. 

 

As always, with AmEx; it's definitely YMMV.  


I've read it on more than one occasion and on more than this board so I don't think it necessarily requires all those machinations.  It's probably just as likely to be done with a CSR that isn't paying that close attention or is unfamiliar with the policies.  But I agree, it is YMMV and not the norm.


Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
LTomBerry
Posts: 398
Registered: ‎08-02-2011
0

Re: Amex Member Since

I had a Blue for Students back in 02 and the wife was an AU. Closed it a year later. Fast forward to this August, I got approved for a Blue Cash Preferred with her as an AU again. Mine was backdated to 02, hers says 11. I've talked to a dozen CSRs, no one will backdate her because she was not the primary on the original account.


Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
scottwagnon
Posts: 1,344
Registered: ‎02-07-2010
0

Re: Amex Member Since

My au has been a cardmember since 1971. it even shows on his blue cash.

EX BankCard 8 FICO 820 (250-900) 04/08/14
TU FICO 806 (350-850) 04/10/14
EX VT 3.0 805 (300-850) TU VT 2.0 891 (501-990)
Credit.com score 798 (300 - 850) TU transrisk 772
card line up here: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/How-Many-Credit-Cards-Do-YOU-have/m-p/1034512#M290859
Valued Contributor
RyVision
Posts: 1,346
Registered: ‎04-15-2011
0

Re: Amex Member Since

[ Edited ]

LTomBerry wrote:

I had a Blue for Students back in 02 and the wife was an AU. Closed it a year later. Fast forward to this August, I got approved for a Blue Cash Preferred with her as an AU again. Mine was backdated to 02, hers says 11. I've talked to a dozen CSRs, no one will backdate her because she was not the primary on the original account.



This might be helpful to anyone curious about the backdating issue (which are probably most of those looking at threads like this one).

 

That's the most confusing thing with backdating and AU verses primary. Once someone is issued a card with a member date, that member date is theirs as long as they can prove it with the card. An AU that became a member, even via AU in 2002 (whether the primary was in 2002 or 1990) will be able to claim member since date as 2002 as long as they can prove they were granted membership before. They can't get a card backdated to the primary's original date (not often anyway), only their own start date.  If you still have her old card, that's your proof for her membership date.

 

If you can talk to the right CSR about faxing the face and back of her old card with the membership date, you'll make a lot better headway with them  than telling them about it.  They are getting very picky about AU'ers and backdating after so much has been done with it and eventually, if it kept up, they'd see card holders with "member since 73" that were born in 2002.  She's requesting HER original member since date, not anyone else's if she has her card. I was even told that by a higher up CSR that once an AU gets a member date, it's theirs for good, including on new cards of their own.

 

Hers is currently showing 11 because she's an AU on a card  newly issued to you in 2011. They aren't looking at or for her old membership date, only yours. They have to look up her info connected to HER old card (there was no bill in her name, the card is the only proof).  If you have that card and get the right CSR, tell them she was a member with her OWN starting membership date (what's on her old card) and ask where you can fax a copy of both sides so her new card can show it. Don't let them say they can't do it, speak as though you expect it and only need the info on getting the copy of the card to them to verify her membership.  Not to mention,  if she was your wife at the time, by marriage she was frankly just as responsible as you were for that bill.

 

Otherwise what's the point of becoming an AU and having a member since date showing on the card at all? Are they a member or not? They're getting to the point CSR's are reluctant to even give a primary card holder their old date when they come back (unless the computer does that work automatically for them).

No doubt that's what they  THINK they were told  in class (if it doesn't show on the screen, that's the members problem) while trying to remember all the other stuff they're told will actually just show up on a screen while on the phone as to how to handle ANY question......... (as far as someone wanting their old date, it's easier to just say no).

 

 Remember, a lot of their work has been outsourced to other places.  I think that's why they have to search archives to find proof of old member since dates (and they don't want to take the time), for AUs it's even harder.

 

IF they won't let her have her original date, tell them you want them to refund her membership fee for the time she was an AU on the old card, because they're saying she wasn't a member. Also, why are they charging an additional fee for a membership (as they call it) for an AU now if they aren't actually a member with the same privileges? Don't let them be the lazy button pushers they are, make them get off their lazy butts and do what you're paying membership fees for. For good measure you can tell them that's how it used to work before it started being handled elsewhere. And that's how Members with their dirty money are going to expect it to continue to work. Remind them AMEX is the only card with that privilege, otherwise, you can do business with any other card issuer and dump them and their fees. They won't want to get you upset because a supervisor may be listening in and they don't want to be the reason a member dumped them (that could start to add up to a job loss).  I'm always polite, but firm in my demands, no matter what as long as I know the rules.

 

If all the people that ever look at MyFico were to stand up to these all powerful and over confident banks and take back the power of their money, we'd see some business practices start to change real quick. Instead, most people sit back and take it.  Eventually people might get mad enough that the majority of them actually start demanding what they pay for instead of believing these companies are at all ethical and treating them at all decent (they're just picking your pocket until we call them on it). People complain about it, but sort of like when they get on a jury, they almost never give someone harmed by a multi-billion dollar company an award that makes the company remember not to do it again (they've got average people believing they don't deserve to get what they pay for or to be treated right). When average people stick together, things change for the better, when they don't, a large entity gains control which is detrimental to all. Companies aren't afraid of losing a few customers just like they aren't afraid of lawsuits, it's just business and it's all factored in. When those numbers change, they take notice. In other words, when the majority of us average little people band together a bit or act like we know the score, we actually appear to have a pair.

 

This is the new American Express (and every large bank really), welcome to outsourcing.

 

I sure hope you get your wifes card backdated, frankly, if it were me, I wouldn't stop pushing it until they dumped me because I was taking so much time up with their CSRs that it started to cost them money LOL.

 

P.S. EDIT:

 

Ahhhhh happy now?  (and yes, on a hot summer day, I too on occasion would like a slurpy with that!):smileyvery-happy:

Established Contributor
dharalex
Posts: 607
Registered: ‎09-08-2011
0

Re: Amex Member Since

This happened to me. When I asked the csr, he said there's nothing he could do. When I got my card, it was backdated. My second card had member since 2001, but my account on the Amex site said member since 2004. So, look at your account first...that's really all that matters. If it says 2011, call a different rep. Good luck!


Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge







Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
dharalex
Posts: 607
Registered: ‎09-08-2011
0

Re: Amex Member Since

After reading all the posts, let me explain my story. My husband got 2 Amex cards in 2004. He made me an AU. In 2008, the accounts were closed by Amex. We paid the balances and no negative reporting was ever done. Fast forward to 1 month ago. I started getting pre approval letters. I applied and got 2 cards. Amex asks for ss # for AUs so they had me in their system. They backdated me to 2004 even though I was only an AU.


Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge







Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
Mustanglvr2006
Posts: 1,971
Registered: ‎02-06-2011
0

Re: Amex Member Since


Dbadup wrote:

I was recently made an AU on my mothers card..She has been a member since '90. My card arrives showing a member since '11. I recently applied and was approved for the Zync. It looks as if there can be no backdating soo why keep the green? Or is there a chance for it both my zync and the green being back dated?


I'm AU on my Fathers AmEx opened in 84, my card says "Member Since 11" but on my credit reports it shows as opened in 84, to me that's all I wanted was for it to show as opened in 84 on my reports, I don't care what it shows on the card. Why keep the Green? (I assume the Green is your Mothers, the card your AU on right?) Because it should show on your reports as opened in 90 helping with your AAoA's.

 

I have 3 of my own AmEx cards all backdated to 1991, I had an AmEx CC back in 91 that I closed who knows when (in good standing) 92, 93?? But I was able to give AmEx credit bureau dept the account # that was listed on my EX report from that CC opened in 91, thats how I was able to have all my own AmEx's backdated.

 

I really do not know much about having an AmEx of your own backdated to the date of the AmEx that your AU on now, but I just wanted to address your statement and question that I underlined and changed to red.


Starting Score: 583
Current Score: 3-03-12-EQ-802 TU-806 EX-798 (EQ Beacon 9: 804 Lender Pull 3-08-12) All FICO's
Goal Score: 800+ across all three

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge



myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+