Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Amex Mercedes-Benz Platinum (How's this for timing)

So, I was on the Mercedes website scheduling a matainence for my vehicle. I read that they give you 5x the MR points for Mercedes purchases. I called Amex and had them upgrade my personal gold card to a MB Platinum. I dropped my car off at the dealership this morning. They called me and told me what I already knew... I need new tires, front rotors, break pads, and the 30,000 mile service. Total, $3,600! Well, at least I'll get some great points from this. 

Current myFICO Scores:03/08/12 EQ: 801 • TU: 801 • Bank of America TU FICO: 822 • Credit Karma Vantage: 873

My Wallet: Amex Business Platinum | Amex SPG (5k) | Amex Delta Reserve (33k) | Citi ThankYou Premier World MasterCard (26k) | Chase Mileage Club Visa Signature (15k)
Sock Drawer: Barclay Ring MasterCard (10k) | Discover More (6.5k) | CapitalOne VentureOne (4.5k) | Macy's | Amex Platinum Personal
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex Mercedes-Benz Platinum (How's this for timing)

If you had apped for the card, you could have received 50,000 MR points.  Call them and see if they will give you the offer for new apps.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Super Contributor

I should have done this when I bought my Benz some weeks ago. Put the down payment on the card and pay it off.

Frequent Contributor

TheBronxBomber wrote:
So, I was on the Mercedes website scheduling a matainence for my vehicle. I read that they give you 5x the MR points for Mercedes purchases. I called Amex and had them upgrade my personal gold card to a MB Platinum. I dropped my car off at the dealership this morning. They called me and told me what I already knew... I need new tires, front rotors, break pads, and the 30,000 mile service. Total, $3,600! Well, at least I'll get some great points from this. 

Ouch, you already need new tires at 30,000 miles??

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Established Contributor

That's great. But I am a little confused. I didn't realize you could product change a straight American Express card to a partnered card. Now can you switch back if you wanted?

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Super Contributor

ztnjpv wrote:

That's great. But I am a little confused. I didn't realize you could product change a straight American Express card to a partnered card. Now can you switch back if you wanted?

I think it's ok to PC because they are both charge cards......

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Established Contributor

I have a Plum Card and I cannot PC it into anything at all...whether partnered or not. They said it's because the card is "unique" in terms of its reward system.  

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
New Contributor

A plum" card ??? I didn't see this when I went to look up the Amex website all offers on charge card icon , what's this card for ? I had recieved a pre approval for their gold card which is the 95$ annual fee - and ended up shopping Amex cards to see about holding out to skip to the next ones with better rates and more rewards because I'm not looking to get less rewards and undersell my months to a year of sitting and painfully tracking my financial status as my only form of enjoyment to go outdoing myself for 95$ and a full payback at end of cycle month Smiley Wink more info please.... Thanx...
Valued Contributor

ready13 wrote:
A plum" card ??? I didn't see this when I went to look up the Amex website all offers on charge card icon , what's this card for ? I had recieved a pre approval for their gold card which is the 95$ annual fee - and ended up shopping Amex cards to see about holding out to skip to the next ones with better rates and more rewards because I'm not looking to get less rewards and undersell my months to a year of sitting and painfully tracking my financial status as my only form of enjoyment to go outdoing myself for 95$ and a full payback at end of cycle month Smiley Wink more info please.... Thanx...

Its a biz card

ccpics2.jpg
Established Contributor

To OP buy your OEM rotors n pads online and get them installed at an indy shop. You would save 2000.. Or maybe more..

Starting Score: 583
Current Score: 716
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.