cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Mercedes-Benz Platinum (How's this for timing)

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Amex Mercedes-Benz Platinum (How's this for timing)

So, I was on the Mercedes website scheduling a matainence for my vehicle. I read that they give you 5x the MR points for Mercedes purchases. I called Amex and had them upgrade my personal gold card to a MB Platinum. I dropped my car off at the dealership this morning. They called me and told me what I already knew... I need new tires, front rotors, break pads, and the 30,000 mile service. Total, $3,600! Well, at least I'll get some great points from this. 

Current myFICO Scores:03/08/12 EQ: 801 • TU: 801 • Bank of America TU FICO: 822 • Credit Karma Vantage: 873

My Wallet: Amex Business Platinum | Amex SPG (5k) | Amex Delta Reserve (33k) | Citi ThankYou Premier World MasterCard (26k) | Chase Mileage Club Visa Signature (15k)
Sock Drawer: Barclay Ring MasterCard (10k) | Discover More (6.5k) | CapitalOne VentureOne (4.5k) | Macy's | Amex Platinum Personal
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex Mercedes-Benz Platinum (How's this for timing)

If you had apped for the card, you could have received 50,000 MR points.  Call them and see if they will give you the offer for new apps.


Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 11
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Mercedes-Benz Platinum (How's this for timing)

I should have done this when I bought my Benz some weeks ago. Put the down payment on the card and pay it off.




Message 3 of 11
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex Mercedes-Benz Platinum (How's this for timing)


TheBronxBomber wrote:
So, I was on the Mercedes website scheduling a matainence for my vehicle. I read that they give you 5x the MR points for Mercedes purchases. I called Amex and had them upgrade my personal gold card to a MB Platinum. I dropped my car off at the dealership this morning. They called me and told me what I already knew... I need new tires, front rotors, break pads, and the 30,000 mile service. Total, $3,600! Well, at least I'll get some great points from this. 

Ouch, you already need new tires at 30,000 miles??

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 4 of 11
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Mercedes-Benz Platinum (How's this for timing)

That's great. But I am a little confused. I didn't realize you could product change a straight American Express card to a partnered card. Now can you switch back if you wanted?

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 5 of 11
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Mercedes-Benz Platinum (How's this for timing)


ztnjpv wrote:

That's great. But I am a little confused. I didn't realize you could product change a straight American Express card to a partnered card. Now can you switch back if you wanted?


I think it's ok to PC because they are both charge cards......

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 11
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Mercedes-Benz Platinum (How's this for timing)

I have a Plum Card and I cannot PC it into anything at all...whether partnered or not. They said it's because the card is "unique" in terms of its reward system.  

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 7 of 11
New Contributor

Re: Amex Mercedes-Benz Platinum (How's this for timing)

A plum" card ??? I didn't see this when I went to look up the Amex website all offers on charge card icon , what's this card for ? I had recieved a pre approval for their gold card which is the 95$ annual fee - and ended up shopping Amex cards to see about holding out to skip to the next ones with better rates and more rewards because I'm not looking to get less rewards and undersell my months to a year of sitting and painfully tracking my financial status as my only form of enjoyment to go outdoing myself for 95$ and a full payback at end of cycle month Smiley Wink more info please.... Thanx...
Message 8 of 11
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Mercedes-Benz Platinum (How's this for timing)


ready13 wrote:
A plum" card ??? I didn't see this when I went to look up the Amex website all offers on charge card icon , what's this card for ? I had recieved a pre approval for their gold card which is the 95$ annual fee - and ended up shopping Amex cards to see about holding out to skip to the next ones with better rates and more rewards because I'm not looking to get less rewards and undersell my months to a year of sitting and painfully tracking my financial status as my only form of enjoyment to go outdoing myself for 95$ and a full payback at end of cycle month Smiley Wink more info please.... Thanx...

Its a biz card

ccpics2.jpg
Message 9 of 11
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Mercedes-Benz Platinum (How's this for timing)

To OP buy your OEM rotors n pads online and get them installed at an indy shop. You would save 2000.. Or maybe more..
Message 10 of 11