Regular Contributor
TheBronxBomber

Amex Mercedes-Benz Platinum (How's this for timing)

So, I was on the Mercedes website scheduling a matainence for my vehicle. I read that they give you 5x the MR points for Mercedes purchases. I called Amex and had them upgrade my personal gold card to a MB Platinum. I dropped my car off at the dealership this morning. They called me and told me what I already knew... I need new tires, front rotors, break pads, and the 30,000 mile service. Total, $3,600! Well, at least I'll get some great points from this. 

Current myFICO Scores:03/08/12 EQ: 801 • TU: 801 • Bank of America TU FICO: 822 • Credit Karma Vantage: 873

My Wallet: Amex Business Platinum | Amex SPG (5k) | Amex Delta Reserve (33k) | Citi ThankYou Premier World MasterCard (26k) | Chase Mileage Club Visa Signature (15k)
Sock Drawer: Barclay Ring MasterCard (10k) | Discover More (6.5k) | CapitalOne VentureOne (4.5k) | Macy's | Amex Platinum Personal
Senior Contributor
Walt_K

Re: Amex Mercedes-Benz Platinum (How's this for timing)

If you had apped for the card, you could have received 50,000 MR points.  Call them and see if they will give you the offer for new apps.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Super Contributor
CS800

I should have done this when I bought my Benz some weeks ago. Put the down payment on the card and pay it off.

Frequent Contributor
iMacDrew

TheBronxBomber wrote:
So, I was on the Mercedes website scheduling a matainence for my vehicle. I read that they give you 5x the MR points for Mercedes purchases. I called Amex and had them upgrade my personal gold card to a MB Platinum. I dropped my car off at the dealership this morning. They called me and told me what I already knew... I need new tires, front rotors, break pads, and the 30,000 mile service. Total, $3,600! Well, at least I'll get some great points from this. 

Ouch, you already need new tires at 30,000 miles??

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Established Contributor
ztnjpv

That's great. But I am a little confused. I didn't realize you could product change a straight American Express card to a partnered card. Now can you switch back if you wanted?

Starting Scores (Sept 2011): All lower-mid 600s. CURRENTLY: TU FICO: 801 (3/28/14), EQ FICO 808 (3/28/14), EX FICO 798 (9/4/13) (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
pizzadude

ztnjpv wrote:

That's great. But I am a little confused. I didn't realize you could product change a straight American Express card to a partnered card. Now can you switch back if you wanted?

I think it's ok to PC because they are both charge cards......

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Established Contributor
ztnjpv

I have a Plum Card and I cannot PC it into anything at all...whether partnered or not. They said it's because the card is "unique" in terms of its reward system.  

Starting Scores (Sept 2011): All lower-mid 600s. CURRENTLY: TU FICO: 801 (3/28/14), EQ FICO 808 (3/28/14), EX FICO 798 (9/4/13) (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
New Contributor
ready13

A plum" card ??? I didn't see this when I went to look up the Amex website all offers on charge card icon , what's this card for ? I had recieved a pre approval for their gold card which is the 95$ annual fee - and ended up shopping Amex cards to see about holding out to skip to the next ones with better rates and more rewards because I'm not looking to get less rewards and undersell my months to a year of sitting and painfully tracking my financial status as my only form of enjoyment to go outdoing myself for 95$ and a full payback at end of cycle month :smileywink: more info please.... Thanx...
Valued Contributor
beb86

ready13 wrote:
A plum" card ??? I didn't see this when I went to look up the Amex website all offers on charge card icon , what's this card for ? I had recieved a pre approval for their gold card which is the 95$ annual fee - and ended up shopping Amex cards to see about holding out to skip to the next ones with better rates and more rewards because I'm not looking to get less rewards and undersell my months to a year of sitting and painfully tracking my financial status as my only form of enjoyment to go outdoing myself for 95$ and a full payback at end of cycle month :smileywink: more info please.... Thanx...

Its a biz card

ccpics2.jpg
Established Contributor
ibmrad7

To OP buy your OEM rotors n pads online and get them installed at an indy shop. You would save 2000.. Or maybe more..

Starting Score: 583
Current Score: 692
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+