Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex NOT Approving my charges now

tag
newUser0
Established Contributor

Amex NOT Approving my charges now

I got a Blue Cash Amex Card since like 3-4 months before. It has a CL of $1000. 

Usually, I used to charge like 4-5K Permonth on this card and PIF. 

But something unusual happened today. My current Balance on this card is $500 and I tried to make a $1000 charge today and it was declined. 

I used my other card and came. 

For the first time, I checked my Spending Ability on this card, and it said that $1000 Will NOT BE APPROVED This time. This is the first time they have declined my transaction. Never ever before. I charged like 4-5K in this card, and none were declined. My Delta Gold has a limit of $18K, checked spending ability for $25K on this card and it WAS APPROVED. 

Also, I checked $30K on my PRG Card, it was TOO APPROVED. It's strange that they are restricting me from going over the limit on this card. 

Also, they are NOT even allowing to make 4K payment in Advance, it says, payment cannot be made this time. 

Why this change all of a sudden? 

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

Re: Amex NOT Approving my charges now

Guess AMEX can change their minds on letting you go over. You should contact them and ask what's the deal.

Message 2 of 32
manyquestions
Established Contributor

Call them.  I had something like that happen and I called in to ask if there was something wrong with my account and they just wanted to verify that I was the one that had been making purchases on the card. Something about the usage pattern.  It's not a FR because that affects all your cards at the same time and also shows up visually when you log into your account. 

Message 3 of 32
newUser0
Established Contributor

@SamsungHDTV wrote:

Guess AMEX can change their minds on letting you go over. You should contact them and ask what's the deal.

@manyquestions wrote:

Call them.  I had something like that happen and I called in to ask if there was something wrong with my account and they just wanted to verify that I was the one that had been making purchases on the card. Something about the usage pattern.  It's not a FR because that affects all your cards at the same time and also shows up visually when you log into your account. 

Even I thought I got an FR. But, I just now checked all my online accounts and no intimation of any FR messages. I just pushed Amex cards with more spending than last months, (other amex cards) so this may have trigerred it. If it was a fraud alert, I should be getting a Message right?

Message 4 of 32
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

I think the best thing to do is call them as suggested earlier.  They have a great customer service reputation and since you carry three cards with them, why not put your mind at ease and call them immediately?  Take control of the situation as you are their customer, not the other way around.  Good luck.

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Discover it® 27K | JCPenney MC 22K | Home Depot $9K
EX/796 EQ/794 TU/802 GOAL: Break 800
Message 5 of 32
manyquestions
Established Contributor

I didn't get a fraud alert on mine. It just quit working. I have my phone set up to get texts and everything. No message at all. Just quit working.  That's why I mentioned it. Go out and try to use it for something that costs less than $10. I did that and it didn't work so that is when I called and the phone person asked me a bunch of identity questions and that was it. 

Message 6 of 32
newUser0
Established Contributor

Oh!! 

I just did a 2.90 Transaction (online) it went through fine. 

It looks like, they are NOT Allowing me to go over my limit on THIS card.

Message 7 of 32
manyquestions
Established Contributor

@newUser0 wrote:

Oh!! 

Sounds like that is it. I'd still call them and ask what's up. I don't see any downside to calling to verify that they are now enforcing a hard limit.  Ask them if there is anything you can do about it to reagain what you had before.

Message 8 of 32
TheFate
Established Contributor

Wow some of you guys here sure spend a lot of money .

I second on calling them to ask what the deal is

Message 9 of 32
newUser0
Established Contributor

@manyquestions wrote:

@newUser0 wrote:

Oh!! 

Sounds like that is it. I'd still call them and ask what's up. I don't see any downside to calling to verify that they are now enforcing a hard limit.  Ask them if there is anything you can do about it to reagain what you had before.

The problem is I really don't know what to ask them when I call. 

They are right in a way. Means, I have $500 balance $1K limit. So, if I charge $1K more, it will be over my CL by $500 and they have right to decline this.

You think, if I can call and say that you were approving me before and why have you been declining now ? Makes any thing useful to me?

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.