Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex NPSL Question

tag
12njoy
Super Contributor

Amex NPSL Question

Hello Forum members,

I have a question regarding the NPSL.  A little history.  I have an Amex PRG that I opened in July 2013.  At that time, my credit karma (TU) fako score was 680.  Upon opening, I contacted Amex to find out what my purchasing power was.  I was told $10,000 which was a little suprising that it would be that high considering the low score and I had three derog's on my report at that time.  Amex has said that they base the NPSL on credit record, income and assets known to them, payment and charge history.  Since I started out with $10,000 I assume it was based on credit history.  I'm interested to to know what others started out with on their NPSL who may have had a similiar profile as mine (i.e. stats at time of application - income 49k, AAoA 5 yrs, TU Fako 680, assets 25K, 3 CO's/4.5 years old).  I've since opened up several cards with Amex and income and score have both increased.  Since July 2013, I have run $11,700 through the PRG card.  Amex said they review every six months.  I'm also trying to gauge what may happen at six months with PRG in December 2013.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.  

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex NPSL Question

Never really checked other that the spending ability check tool, i have ran values of up to 3k plus a thousand or so balance on the card, always approved, never had a charge denied, I have the Zync card that see's very little use these days as most of my spending goes to BCP and Hilton Surpass card, myfico is automaticly charged to that card, and sometimes i put small charges on it.  $100 is a big month for the card.

I wonder sometimes what my spending ability on the card is now, I put 2-3k a month  in charges on my other two AMEXcards both  revolvers.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 33
12njoy
Super Contributor

@jamesdwi,

Thanks.  I periodically call Amex to find out what my NPSL is.  I've used the tool a couple of times, but was locked out once so I just call Amex now.  I just found it odd that they would start me at 10k.  According to Amex, as of today, I'm at $9,995.  I guess it's a little off because I have a present balance of $9.99 on it which is down from $4,600.  I normally PIF before my statement closes on the 29th. 

___________ 12Njoy
Message 3 of 33
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

Just charge away and use the 35k PoT. J/k
2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 4 of 33
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@12njoy wrote:

@jamesdwi,

Thanks.  I periodically call Amex to find out what my NPSL is.  I've used the tool a couple of times, but was locked out once so I just call Amex now.  I just found it odd that they would start me at 10k.  According to Amex, as of today, I'm at $9,995.  I guess it's a little off because I have a present balance of $9.99 on it which is down from $4,600.  I normally PIF before my statement closes on the 29th. 

You run about 3k a month thru your card is that correct?

Message 5 of 33
12njoy
Super Contributor

@armbenderc,

I wasn't offered the PoT feature so I'm PIF.  Not sure I would use the feature because I hear the rate is high and possibly frowned upon by Amex.

___________ 12Njoy
Message 6 of 33
12njoy
Super Contributor

@ezdoesit,

July $1,900

Aug $3,100

Sept $2,100

Oct $4,600

___________ 12Njoy
Message 7 of 33
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@12njoy they will offer to you soon. They did me. Yes the interest is high 18.99 but you can put any charge over $100 on it. Just use it for big ticket items... Aka header and a tune for a car. Oh wait wrong forum lol
2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 8 of 33
12njoy
Super Contributor

@armbenderc,

How long did it take for them to offer it to you?  How often do you use the feature?  Have you seen any adverse affect from using the feature?

___________ 12Njoy
Message 9 of 33
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

@12njoy wrote:

@armbenderc,

How long did it take for them to offer it to you?  How often do you use the feature?  Have you seen any adverse affect from using the feature?

For what it's worth, I was offered the PoT feature when I was enrolling for managing my card online, so basically on the day I received my card last month. Over at the Amex website, someone else told me that they were offered the feature after a year of cardmembership and have used it a few times and it has proven to be useful  and no, no AA.

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.