Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex NPSL

tag
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Amex NPSL

Last month I mentioned that I've started to use my Amex Green as my primary card. I'm ramping up my spending gradually so that I don't trigger any flags from a sudden spike in activity. I've had the card since May of last year and started using it very gently, only $300-$500/mo. In November, my statement was just over $700; for December, just over $600. I paid my January statement the day it cut, for $958.26.

I'm planning on putting ~$1200 or so through the card this month. But, every time I get close to where my largest past balance was, I get nervous about whether or not the charge will go through. This is because I really have no idea of what my internal limit is. And having spent so much time with subprime credit, I'm used to small limits. I've paid each statement promptly, either the day it cuts or within a few days, well ahead of the due date. I'm assuming that I'm developing some trust with Amex and that my internal limit is creeping up. Does anyone here have any ideas on how this works? Am I overworrying?

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex NPSL

I can't really speak for Amex - but I did have a question for you regarding your history when you were approved for Amex, if you don't mind sharing.  I know in the gardening thread you mentioned you are waiting for some baddies to fall of this summer.  Do you mind sharing what they are and how long you had them when you were approved for Amex?

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 2 of 45
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

IMO, your internal limit is probably higher than you realize.    You could even use the "Check your spending ability" button.    There's no harm at trying it, that's why they put it there.   Just don't go crazy trying it 40 times in a day.   

I'd try maybe 2K or something similar, if it doesn't say that you are approved then try again, maybe 1500...

You aren't going to get FR'd for using the button.   Just don't abuse it.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 45
birjest
Frequent Contributor

I can help...I have the AMEX Zync.  I am station abroad and I called AMEX last week about it.  I explained to them that I would like to know my limit incase I need to buy a last minute airline ticket for an emergency flight back to the US.  They told me my limit was $3750, and I ask if I could have $5000.  The wonderful rep came back, and said that my limit was bump up to $4200.  Fine by me, since the military pays for such expenses, but at least I now know my limit.

5/30/15 EQ 596; TU 605; EX 580.
12/18/17 EQ 646; TU 660; EX 674.
7/30/23 EQ 708; TU 703; EX 721.
Message 4 of 45
CS800
Super Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

Last month I mentioned that I've started to use my Amex Green as my primary card. I'm ramping up my spending gradually so that I don't trigger any flags from a sudden spike in activity. I've had the card since May of last year and started using it very gently, only $300-$500/mo. In November, my statement was just over $700; for December, just over $600. I paid my January statement the day it cut, for $958.26.

I'm planning on putting ~$1200 or so through the card this month. But, every time I get close to where my largest past balance was, I get nervous about whether or not the charge will go through. This is because I really have no idea of what my internal limit is. And having spent so much time with subprime credit, I'm used to small limits. I've paid each statement promptly, either the day it cuts or within a few days, well ahead of the due date. I'm assuming that I'm developing some trust with Amex and that my internal limit is creeping up. Does anyone here have any ideas on how this works? Am I overworrying?

With the charge cards, AMEX studies your habits so as they see that you'r'e slowing ramping up, they would not have an issue with it. When I got my platinum i did the same thing. Started with 400 then the following month went up to 900. Now on any given month the min i put on it is 1800 and the max can be 9-10k. Then it goes back down to 1800. I have never had any problems with it. I did not use the 'check your spending'.

Message 5 of 45
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@seattletravels wrote:

I can't really speak for Amex - but I did have a question for you regarding your history when you were approved for Amex, if you don't mind sharing.  I know in the gardening thread you mentioned you are waiting for some baddies to fall of this summer.  Do you mind sharing what they are and how long you had them when you were approved for Amex?

I don't mind at all. I was approved with scores in the mid 600s and 2 CAs and 4 COs showing. The baddies were from 6-7 years prior; one CA and 2 COs have since aged off. Not only that, I had an old charge off with Amex from 20 years ago that was never paid, and I know that they were aware of it. When I received the offer in the mail, I was ready to toss it as I didn't believe that I stood a snowball's chance in SW Florida of being approved. But, some members of this forum told me that if I was blacklisted, they wouldn't even pull an inq, but would just reject the application. I pulled the trigger and was floored at the approval. Please bear in mind, I believe that my experience is very atypical.

Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 6 of 45
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

I don't mind at all. I was approved with scores in the mid 600s and 2 CAs and 4 COs showing. The baddies were from 6-7 years prior; one CA and 2 COs have since aged off. Not only that, I had an old charge off with Amex from 20 years ago that was never paid, and I know that they were aware of it. When I received the offer in the mail, I was ready to toss it as I didn't believe that I stood a snowball's chance in SW Florida of being approved. But, some members of this forum told me that if I was blacklisted, they wouldn't even pull an inq, but would just reject the application. I pulled the trigger and was floored at the approval. Please bear in mind, I believe that my experience is very atypical.

Thank you for sharing.  I was considering applying next year but wasnt sure if there was any chance in Hades. lol.  I have a few baddies but they are all 5-6 years old at this point.

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 7 of 45
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@CS800 wrote:

@tinuviel wrote:

With the charge cards, AMEX studies your habits so as they see that you'r'e slowing ramping up, they would not have an issue with it. When I got my platinum i did the same thing. Started with 400 then the following month went up to 900. Now on any given month the min i put on it is 1800 and the max can be 9-10k. Then it goes back down to 1800. I have never had any problems with it. I did not use the 'check your spending'.

Thanks. With all appreciation for the other replies, I'd prefer not to play with the button or call in. I've thought of calling in as part of me would love to know, but I just don't want to rock the boat. I feel very lucky to have been approved at all and don't want to appear on their radar.

My DH and I are planning a trip at the end of this year, and I'd like to book it through Amex sometime this summer and use my points. So, I want my spending to be increased enough so that booking a trip won't make too huge a spike. Yes, it WILL be a spike because I'll have my monthly spending on their as well. But, Amex should be used to that when people put vacation expenses on their cards. Still, I'd like to show more usage on the card on a routine basis before making such a large purchase.

Message 8 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried to use the thing on AMEX's website that tells you whether or not you would get approved for a charge of X amount?

Message 9 of 45
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@seattletravels wrote:

@tinuviel wrote:

Thank you for sharing.  I was considering applying next year but wasnt sure if there was any chance in Hades. lol.  I have a few baddies but they are all 5-6 years old at this point.

Amex can be a strange beast. Some people with decent scores and clean reports get rejected, and then every once in a while someone like me manages to get approved. I don't quite get it, but they do seem to have their own system.

Good luck apping when you're ready. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.