Amex NPSL

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex NPSL

@Revelate wrote:

@tinuviel wrote:

@webhopper wrote:
While I get what you are saying, there is definitely something mysterious about NPSL to someone who never has used it before. It's basically the fear of the unknown that is drives some people crazy. These people are the kind that also liked to color inside the lines when they were a kid.

Or -- for any science geeks out here -- some of us have a really hard time sitting back and looking at a box that contains Schrodinger's cat. Now that I've removed the lid and looked inside, I feel much better!

On noes, after the time you click the submit button, and the time you open your letter (or email), is the application alive or dead? Smiley Happy

More even science geekier, observation principal: you change your Amex relationship just by clicking on that pre-auth spending approval button Smiley Tongue

OK, I'm opening a bottle of scotch and will refrain from further silliness of this type.

        
Message 41 of 45
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Revelate wrote:

@tinuviel wrote:

@webhopper wrote:
While I get what you are saying, there is definitely something mysterious about NPSL to someone who never has used it before. It's basically the fear of the unknown that is drives some people crazy. These people are the kind that also liked to color inside the lines when they were a kid.

Or -- for any science geeks out here -- some of us have a really hard time sitting back and looking at a box that contains Schrodinger's cat. Now that I've removed the lid and looked inside, I feel much better!

On noes, after the time you click the submit button, and the time you open your letter (or email), is the application alive or dead? Smiley Happy

You mean: "is the application approved or rejected?"

The answer is, of course -- both, at the same time!

Quantum superposition... sometimes it can be nervewracking waiting for the waveform to collapse. Smiley Wink

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 42 of 45
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Revelate wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@tinuviel wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

More even science geekier, observation principal: you change your Amex relationship just by clicking on that pre-auth spending approval button Smiley Tongue

OK, I'm opening a bottle of scotch and will refrain from further silliness of this type.

Pass the bottle! Smiley Very Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 43 of 45
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

Last month I mentioned that I've started to use my Amex Green as my primary card. I'm ramping up my spending gradually so that I don't trigger any flags from a sudden spike in activity. I've had the card since May of last year and started using it very gently, only $300-$500/mo. In November, my statement was just over $700; for December, just over $600. I paid my January statement the day it cut, for $958.26.

I'm planning on putting ~$1200 or so through the card this month. But, every time I get close to where my largest past balance was, I get nervous about whether or not the charge will go through. This is because I really have no idea of what my internal limit is. And having spent so much time with subprime credit, I'm used to small limits. I've paid each statement promptly, either the day it cuts or within a few days, well ahead of the due date. I'm assuming that I'm developing some trust with Amex and that my internal limit is creeping up. Does anyone here have any ideas on how this works? Am I overworrying?

^^^

on your AMEX account online, atop right, under Profiles and Preferences, select "Check Spending Ability"--you can see how much you can get approved for for purchases and cash advances

Message 44 of 45
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

@tinuviel wrote:

Last month I mentioned that I've started to use my Amex Green as my primary card. I'm ramping up my spending gradually so that I don't trigger any flags from a sudden spike in activity. I've had the card since May of last year and started using it very gently, only $300-$500/mo. In November, my statement was just over $700; for December, just over $600. I paid my January statement the day it cut, for $958.26.

I'm planning on putting ~$1200 or so through the card this month. But, every time I get close to where my largest past balance was, I get nervous about whether or not the charge will go through. This is because I really have no idea of what my internal limit is. And having spent so much time with subprime credit, I'm used to small limits. I've paid each statement promptly, either the day it cuts or within a few days, well ahead of the due date. I'm assuming that I'm developing some trust with Amex and that my internal limit is creeping up. Does anyone here have any ideas on how this works? Am I overworrying?

^^^

on your AMEX account online, atop right, under Profiles and Preferences, select "Check Spending Ability"--you can see how much you can get approved for for purchases and cash advances

As this thread is over two years old and tinuviel has had her card for years now, I'm confident that she is familiar with that feature. 

Thanks!

Message 45 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.