cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex - New Information on Backdating Account; Are we sure backdating works? Thoughts?

tag
Iincognito
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex - New Information on Backdating Account; Are we sure backdating works? Thoughts?

@GB44 wrote:

csol47 wrote:

Short answer. If it was backdated after they had already reported it they will not change it. Subsequent cards you open will show the original opening date as the month you opened and the year you first became an amex customer. 

Unless this is something different. Smiley Happy

My cards has been open and reporting for over a year. I recently called and had my card backdated and it changed my open date

Gives me hope... How long until you saw the change on your credit report?

Message 11 of 14
GB44
Contributor

Re: Amex - New Information on Backdating Account; Are we sure backdating works? Thoughts?

They updated on the next billing cycle, which for me was about 3 weeks.

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to know. I was going by what I'd heard from several others (in the case of the first card already reporting). Amex can be a bit tricky at times.
Message 13 of 14
Iincognito
Regular Contributor

@Iincognito wrote:

OK so long story short, I had my current Amex Gold Premier Rewards card's member since date backdated to 1995. Just for the heck of it, I disputed the accuracy of the trade line with transunion to see if I can get my open date updated sooner than later; the results show that the information was verified and no updates made. I called the credit bureau unit at Amex and was told that they still see an open date of 07/2010 and referred me to their customer service. After speaking with a customer service rep, I was told that the member since date was updated, the the open date will always be the same date the card was opened, in this case 07/2010. To add, the new Clear card that I applied and was approved for will show a member since date of 1995, but an open date of 09/2011!

Are we sure that backdating adds to the AAOA (average age of open account) or even the AAA (average account age)? I don't see how that is possible if the open date on the credit report remains the same. It's not like the credit reports have a "member since" date reported...

Thoughts?

I thought I would update everyone on my backdating concern... Just checked my TU credit report and I see the new open date 07/1995! I expect my Clear card will do the same and start with an open date of 09/1995. Thanks for contributing to this thread!

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.