Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex No Longer Backdating to Credit Bureaus

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Amex No Longer Backdating to Credit Bureau's

@barthooper wrote:

They probably would have seen a ridiculous app influx if they made this publicly known before it happened.

Hahaha...like if the Gov't announces raising Cap Gains next year.  Get ready for a everyone heading of the exits all at once.

Message 41 of 749
ksantangelo23
Frequent Contributor

Assuming this is true, part of me feels like my CC options are wide open now since I'm overly protective of my AAoA. Smiley Tongue Seems like no way around it now, though.

AMEX Hilton Ascend: $55,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve: $30,000 | PNC Points: $17,500 | AMEX BCE (AU): $18,000 | AMEX BCP: $15,000 | US Bank Cash+ $15,000 | AMEX Business Prime: $14,000 | AMEX SimplyCash: $12,000 | Capital One QS: $13,500 | Chase Business Ink: $12,000 | PNC Everyday (AU): $12,000 | JCPenny Store Card: $10,500 | Chase Slate: $9,400 | Capital One QS: $6,500 | (2nd) US Bank Cash+ (2nd): $7,500 | Discover IT: $6,000 | Chase Freedom: $3,500 | Auto Lease: $0/$21,000 | Auto Loan: $0/$18,000 |

TU: 818 EX: 809 EQ: 801

Message 42 of 749
celluloid17
Established Contributor

Does this mean that the MSD will hold little value from this point forward?

This is disappointing, but now I don't feel the need to waste another HP on an Amex anytime soon, especially given their current line-up of products.

Message 43 of 749
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

My feeling is for cashback cards amex is probably not the best option, but if we are talking about travel rewards cards amex has two of the better options out there, so may have to just bite the bullet when it comes to if you want to transfer to travel partners. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 44 of 749
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Glad I got my 7 backdated Amexes in before this calamity!

Message 45 of 749
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@celluloid17 wrote:

Does this mean that the MSD will hold little value from this point forward?

This is disappointing, but now I don't feel the need to waste another HP on an Amex anytime soon, especially given their current line-up of products.

It would mean that you would no longer get an Amex just for backdating.   So, just like with other cards, it would hit your AAoA

If the change happened because of complaints, maybe SP if rejected is next to go, credit seeking should be recorded regardless of outcome.  (However, Amex is not alone in this, NASA was worse, with no HP for success)

Message 46 of 749
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Well, that certainly is disappointing, considering it was the main reasoning why I took the hit for the BCE...

Oh well. Guess I'll have to play around at some point after I redeem the Blue Sky and BCE points to move the limit back over to the Blue Sky, close the new BCE, and convert the Blue Sky to the slightly more usable BCE. Really don't need two AMEX's at this point.

Message 47 of 749
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@thelethargicage wrote:
Glad I got my 7 backdated Amexes in before this calamity!

Nice. I have an actual reason now to keep my PRG long term now if they give a good retention bonus on it. 

Too bad they couldn't at least continue this until next year.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 48 of 749
Anonymous
Not applicable

Those of us who have never had an AMEX account before, backdating wouldn't be a big issue.  If they start nerfing rewards on the Blue Cash or the Charge Cards then we'll have a problem. 

Message 49 of 749
akabigo
Contributor

Well it's not the end of the world but it's disappointing. My only AMEX is the Costco TE and it's "backdated" with a MSD of  '91. So now that will be history if AMEX doesn't voluntarily offer to PC it to something else to keep me when the time comes. It was nice while it lasted. I just wish I had taken better advantage of it. Things are a changing at AMEX for sure!

Fico scores 800+
Message 50 of 749
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.