Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex No Longer Backdating to Credit Bureaus

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex No Longer Backdating to Credit Bureau's

This will actually keep people at check from getting cards they don't really need. I opened my PRG on 2/17 but reported late March as of 2015 instead of 2001. I was going to call and argue, but it won't get me anywhere. I'll just get business cards since the don't hurt my AAoA and utilization.
Message 631 of 749
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This will actually keep people at check from getting cards they don't really need. I opened my PRG on 2/17 but reported late March as of 2015 instead of 2001. I was going to call and argue, but it won't get me anywhere. I'll just get business cards since the don't hurt my AAoA and utilization.

You're correct on two points here! Arguing will do nothing. It's their new policy, and it is what it is.

I also totally agree that this should help people think more carefully before obtaining cards so it's not all bad I guess.

Message 632 of 749
fedxboy
Established Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You're correct on two points here! Arguing will do nothing. It's their new policy, and it is what it is.

I also totally agree that this should help people think more carefully before obtaining cards so it's not all bad I guess.

Before obtaining NEW cards you mean?!?!   My JetBlue opened 1/23/15...is nicely bckdated   (Theme song  from Banana Splits playing in my head)  ya ever see that show as a kid?

(7/23/16) AMEX FICO EX 728, (6/20/16) Discover FICO TU 747, (7/24/16) Barclays FICO 750 (TC Lines $400+K) AAoA= 4.3 yrs
Message 633 of 749
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Yes, I mean before obtaining brand new cards. Since Amex no longer offers the backdating benefit, it's one less reason to impulsively app for one. That's what I was saying.

Message 634 of 749
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Apart from "Why do you care why people get cards?" I think the conclusion is wrong.   There are various reasons for getting a card:

1) Ongoing rewards

2) Bonus hunting

3) Score enhancement

3) includes stuff like utilization padding and, until now, backdating.   So people could think very carefully,  and decide to get an Amex for backdating to improve their score.  Which can be just as well a thought out reason as anything else.

Message 635 of 749
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I only care because sometimes people impulse app excessively, and while it doesn't effect me in any way shape or form, it does when they post on here wanting advice. To that end, the best advice is not always "app app app", regardless of which bonuses are available etc. I'm not saying you or anyone is all "app app app", but the point is, some who post on here would probably be best advised to not app, yet that is so rarely the stated advice.

It's fine to say "why do you care?" but it doesn't hold up when plenty of the time we are answering questions from people who do want us to care when and why they app -- "when should I app? Should I get xyz card?" etc. So yes, there are people who make it our business and do expect us to care enough to give an informed response.

So if the lack of the backdating benefit stops one person from apping for something they really don't need -- it's a good thing. If they were going to app for other reasons that you mentioned, fine. I don't care. I'm just making an observation that perhaps impulses will be slowed down. Perhaps not, because impulse appers will find another reason outside of backdating to app. Anyway, it was just a thought. Regardless, backdating is dead and those who still want Amex will still app for it.

Message 636 of 749
Anonymous
Not applicable

If that's the case then why is this thread filled with 90% whining about backdating and "I'm never getting another amex again" comments? Lots of people were driven by the backdating to obtain additional amex cards.

Let's face it, amex is not for everyone. They don't cater to subprime and are definitely not into starter cards or credit help. The only feature that helped with that was the excessive backdating of 10+ years that kicked the AAoA in the butt and helped people sometimes.

Besides that, the vast population of the folks in this thread apparently don't see any other value to their cards without the backdating... My self excluded. I didn't even know amex backdated on the CR's before I got back with them.
Message 637 of 749
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
If that's the case then why is this thread filled with 90% whining about backdating and "I'm never getting another amex again" comments? Lots of people were driven by the backdating to obtain additional amex cards.

Let's face it, amex is not for everyone. They don't cater to subprime and are definitely not into starter cards or credit help. The only feature that helped with that was the excessive backdating of 10+ years that kicked the AAoA in the butt and helped people sometimes.

Besides that, the vast population of the folks in this thread apparently don't see any other value to their cards without the backdating... My self excluded. I didn't even know amex backdated on the CR's before I got back with them.

Right, people were driven by backdating to get Amex and so complain when it ends.  My point is it was a perfectly valid reason to get a card

Message 638 of 749
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Backdating is as good a reason as any to app. I was not insulting the quality of the reason, merely saying that now with "one less benefit" on the table for Amex cards, maybe those who impulsively apped will be positively motivated to think before apping. It's the same as when limits are placed on bonuses, caps are placed on rewards, whatever. While these changes suck for existing cardholders, they may slow down people who are out of control with apping and that's not a bad thing for that situation. That's all I was saying. People can complain about it being gone, sure, but that won't change the reality.

Message 639 of 749
fedxboy
Established Contributor

I sure others will complain now (not in this thread, but to Amex) for those previously backdated.  It's not fair, Sally got more mashed potatoes than I did!! Smiley Tongue

(7/23/16) AMEX FICO EX 728, (6/20/16) Discover FICO TU 747, (7/24/16) Barclays FICO 750 (TC Lines $400+K) AAoA= 4.3 yrs
Message 640 of 749
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.