Not applicable

Re: Amex No Longer Backdating to Credit Bureau'sa

Nothing that two SM's can't beat. Smiley Wink

Message 281 of 749
onstar
Established Contributor

Re: Amex No Longer Backdating to Credit Bureau's

@TheGardner wrote:
May not have started as a perk but definitely became one. I assure you several on these boards would have zero interest in Amex offerings without it. I for one don't find any of their cards particularly attractive and value MR very low (yes I travel but other points bring more value for me personally not for everyone I'm sure).

If people are just getting it for the backdating and not really using it, then Amex says good riddance.

And Costco was good riddance too.

Both of these should help Amex in the long run, not hurt it.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 282 of 749
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Right.  The cap on the best feature really limits its attraction

Message 283 of 749
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

amex cash back cards were already know to be inferior to SM even before this backdating "nerf", what i don't understand is the belief all their reward type cards are horrible , I guess i am in minority that believe they have much better value then most cards. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 284 of 749
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex No Longer Backdating to Credit Bureau's

It depends how you use other rewards aswell, that's why I put the personally disclaimer in there Smiley Tongue

Some swear by Amex only problem is how much of the loyalty is hung over Legacy prestige associated with the company and how much is real value.

For MS some of the cards would be great (CB), I will give everyone that. But normal spend eh.
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 285 of 749
Billybob_TX
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is a legal issue. Under current law they HAD to stop this as it was not legal under the Fair Credit Reporting Act. They were not reporting correct info to the big 3. I also think there competition like Visa/MasterCard and big lenders made this a big issue. Say you opened a new Amex in 2015 they were showing on your credit file as if you opened it in 1998 and that's not legal under the FCRA. Which I think it should be but consumers ALWAYS get the short end of the stick the ONLY players who always win are the mega banks.  

Side note I do think they will retroactively target ALL accounts before this date to comply with the law. The law says THEY HAVE to report correct information and they are not. 

I love it when people play attorney on the internet!

Message 286 of 749
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not for me. The caps exceed by a wide margin what I actually spend each month. In my case, it is THE perfect card. The grocery spend that was going on my ED, and the gas spend that was going on my Discover, (when that was the quarterly), will now go on my new Sallie Mae.

Message 287 of 749
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not for me. The caps exceed by a wide margin what I actually spend each month. In my case, it is THE perfect card. The grocery spend that was going on my ED, and the gas spend that was going on my Discover, (when that was the quarterly), will now go on my new Sallie Mae.

I was referring to the BCP, not Sallie Mae.  With the cap and the AF and the lower rate on gas (and then dept stores vs "bookstores") less than exciting for some.

Message 288 of 749
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I was referring to the BCP, not Sallie Mae.  With the cap and the AF and the lower rate on gas (and then dept stores vs "bookstores") less than exciting for some.

As far as cash back goes i think amex is pretty underwhelming, but if you compare their rewards cards their value is hard to beat. The world must have turned upside down since i am defending amex

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 289 of 749
Open123
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

As far as cash back goes i think amex is pretty underwhelming, but if you compare their rewards cards their value is hard to beat. The world must have turned upside down since i am defending amex

LOL...3 times in 3 days!  What's going on?

Message 290 of 749
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.