Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Oasis - Updates/Experiences

tag
ScarletFever
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex Oasis - Updates/Experiences

06..I thought about that....but then I thought transactions today are so mechanized and autocratic, I figured it was just one of those things where AMEX doesn't even realize...

.Citi FICO-836 Barclays TU FICO; 827. Discover Fic0-826; CK:EQ-821; TU-819; CS-819; Total credit-$165,500: NASA-29,700; AMEX BCP-17,000; AMEX EDP-20,000; CSP-14,400; Barclay Ring-10,000; Discover It-9,000; U.S.Bank Sig Visa13,000; United TeleTech Federal Credit Union-$9000; Citi Double Cash-9900; Citi TYP-7,700; Discover Cashback Bonus-7,200;Chase Freedom-6,500; AMEX HHilton Honors-5000; Barclay NFL Extra Points-$5000. Utility always 1-2%
Message 51 of 118
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ScarletFever wrote:

06..I thought about that....but then I thought transactions today are so mechanized and autocratic, I figured it was just one of those things where AMEX doesn't even realize...

Oh, AmEx realizes all right.  They know exactly what they are doing ... and shelling out $$ every time they do it.  Those INQs cost AmEx money.

Message 52 of 118
MrShush
Valued Contributor

I just got a "you've been selected for the American Express Green Card" solicitation in the mail. According to their records, I owe them money. According to my records, well, I don't have any records and that was probably 13 or 14 years so I have no records.

Message 53 of 118
ScarletFever
Frequent Contributor

I feel ya' Mr. Slush. Is AMEX so cynical that they know-or at least think they know-that pre-approvals to alleged CO customers are known, perhaps using the offer as bait to get a former customer back into the fold? I can't believe AMEX is that devious, or smart. I still think it's a matter of process; when they soft, inquiries give basic infor regarding recent payment history, score, etc..anyone with actual knowledge on this subject? I'd love to hear from  forum members on this...

.Citi FICO-836 Barclays TU FICO; 827. Discover Fic0-826; CK:EQ-821; TU-819; CS-819; Total credit-$165,500: NASA-29,700; AMEX BCP-17,000; AMEX EDP-20,000; CSP-14,400; Barclay Ring-10,000; Discover It-9,000; U.S.Bank Sig Visa13,000; United TeleTech Federal Credit Union-$9000; Citi Double Cash-9900; Citi TYP-7,700; Discover Cashback Bonus-7,200;Chase Freedom-6,500; AMEX HHilton Honors-5000; Barclay NFL Extra Points-$5000. Utility always 1-2%
Message 54 of 118
BBYGRL
Established Contributor

@ScarletFever wrote:

I feel ya' Mr. Slush. Is AMEX so cynical that they know-or at least think they know-that pre-approvals to alleged CO customers are known, perhaps using the offer as bait to get a former customer back into the fold? I can't believe AMEX is that devious, or smart. I still think it's a matter of process; when they soft, inquiries give basic infor regarding recent payment history, score, etc..anyone with actual knowledge on this subject? I'd love to hear from  forum members on this...

Good questions. I didn't realize they have to pay for each soft pull.

10/08 - EX 795 / EQ 816 / TU 806
6/09 - EQ 763 / TU 770

Starting Score (2/2010): TU-767, EQ-745
Current Score (2/2010): TU-767, EQ-745
Goal Score (12/2010): TU-780, EQ-790

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 55 of 118
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BBYGRL wrote:

@ScarletFever wrote:

Good questions. I didn't realize they have to pay for each soft pull.

Nothing is free.  One way or another AmEx is paying.

Message 56 of 118
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just went through the Oasis program. I had a 20-year-old debt with AMEX from my college days that I thought had been paid many years ago.  When I got a letter from them last year asking for $350ish dollars, I figured that my memory must be wrong.  I paid the debt and received an Optima card with a $500 limit.

Once I'd spent a year in Oasis, I called AMEX and talked to a half-dozen people about applying for a different card.  They all gave different answers about what to do and who to talk to.   Finally, I was told to call the folks at "apply by phone" and apply for a new card.  I did that and was promptly denied.  It was pretty shocking.  My FICO score is 800 and my household income is well over $100,000 a year.  I was told on the phone that I would get an email in a few minutes explaining the reason for the denial. 

I got the email about three days later.  It said I was denied another AMEX card because I was the owner of a "recovery product".  I called AMEX again and was told to call more people and jump through more hoops.  Even the folks in the Oasis office had no idea what to tell me.  They said they only handle collections.  Finally, I reached a person in customer service who confidently explained that I must cancel the Optima card, then wait 24-48 hours before applying again.  I thanked her for at least knowing what to tell me, then asked her to cancel the card immediately.  I also let her know that after all the hassle I'd gone through, I might not re-apply.

A week later, I decided that it was worth the annoyance to keep a 20-year-old line of credit.  I bit the bullet and my phone application for a Blue card was accepted with an $8,000 limit.

I'm not happy with AMEX.  I did what they asked to prove myself to them.  Now they need to prove themselves to me before I make any of their cards my primary card.

Message 57 of 118
ScarletFever
Frequent Contributor

Wow..that is some story...good job bouncing back..I guess the lesson to be learned in those circumstances is to pay the CO past SOL, and just apply for whatever AMEX card you want. Knowing AMEX however, if you took that route, they might deny anyway!

Message 58 of 118
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since I've been reading all the advice on these boards, I've managed to clear my reports of all derogatory info, establish new credit and I'm on my way to having a great report. Yesterday I received a settlement offer from American Expess on a $1500 balance from 15 years ago...they'll settle for 50% (or $750). My question, or should I say questions are:

It is not showing up on any credit reports so i'm not worried about it too much...HOWEVER, it would be nice to have my card from '94 back giving me an older account age. Right now my average age is 3.5 years. If I pay American Express, will they report it on my credit report and thus re-age it?? Also, if I do pay the settlement account, do you think they would even consider me for a new card, or would they probably want the full $1500 before they did?

Like I said,they only reason I would conside it would be to increase the average age on my report. Thanks again for all the great information you all provide!

Message 59 of 118
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Since I've been reading all the advice on these boards, I've managed to clear my reports of all derogatory info, establish new credit and I'm on my way to having a great report. Yesterday I received a settlement offer from American Expess on a $1500 balance from 15 years ago...they'll settle for 50% (or $750). My question, or should I say questions are:

It is not showing up on any credit reports so i'm not worried about it too much...HOWEVER, it would be nice to have my card from '94 back giving me an older account age. Right now my average age is 3.5 years. If I pay American Express, will they report it on my credit report and thus re-age it?? Also, if I do pay the settlement account, do you think they would even consider me for a new card, or would they probably want the full $1500 before they did?

Like I said,they only reason I would conside it would be to increase the average age on my report. Thanks again for all the great information you all provide!

If you take a look at the back of the settlement offer it will specifically state that you will never be eligible for another AmEx product unless you pay 100% of the original debt.  Paying the amount on the settlement letter only means AmEx will never try to collect the remainder of the original amount and doesn't meann they will let you apply for another AmEx product. 

Message 60 of 118
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.