Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Reply
Established Contributor
Posts: 511
Registered: ‎10-18-2007
0

Re: Amex Oasis - Updates/Experiences

I'm still trying to figure out how I would benefit from asking to join the Amex Oasis program other than paying off an old debt and regaining the history. It seems like I will be held prisoner by Amex for a year or so if my goal is to open another card. I will have to cancel the Oasis card (losing the history - right?) in order to get a better card.

 

Hummmm....Smiley Indifferent

10/08 - EX 795 / EQ 816 / TU 806
6/09 - EQ 763 / TU 770

Starting Score (2/2010): TU-767, EQ-745
Current Score (2/2010): TU-767, EQ-745
Goal Score (12/2010): TU-780, EQ-790


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
New Member
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎05-27-2010
0

Re: Amex Oasis - Updates/Experiences

 


BBYGRL wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out how I would benefit from asking to join the Amex Oasis program other than paying off an old debt and regaining the history. It seems like I will be held prisoner by Amex for a year or so if my goal is to open another card. I will have to cancel the Oasis card (losing the history - right?) in order to get a better card.

 

Hummmm....Smiley Indifferent


 

No, you will not loose history with AMEX.  No matter which card you get (Optima or otherwise), AMEX always gives you the opening date of your first card you had with them.

 

I think you only benefit from the Oasis route if your charge-off is fairly recent, you are in a credit repair phase (still baddies on EX report) or you generally do not qualify for AMEX cards otherwise (income, score, thin file, etc).

 

If you aren't in that situation, I think the better choice is to pay the full chargeoff and apply for the Zync or Green in a few weeks.

Contributor
Posts: 86
Registered: ‎06-14-2010
0

Re: Amex Oasis - Updates/Experiences

 


tstein wrote:

 


BBYGRL wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out how I would benefit from asking to join the Amex Oasis program other than paying off an old debt and regaining the history. It seems like I will be held prisoner by Amex for a year or so if my goal is to open another card. I will have to cancel the Oasis card (losing the history - right?) in order to get a better card.

 

Hummmm....Smiley Indifferent


 

No, you will not loose history with AMEX.  No matter which card you get (Optima or otherwise), AMEX always gives you the opening date of your first card you had with them.

 

I think you only benefit from the Oasis route if your charge-off is fairly recent, you are in a credit repair phase (still baddies on EX report) or you generally do not qualify for AMEX cards otherwise (income, score, thin file, etc).

 

If you aren't in that situation, I think the better choice is to pay the full chargeoff and apply for the Zync or Green in a few weeks.


 

Totally agree.  At the time I did oasis, my credit was bunk and I knew the optima was the best I could do, without even having to know my score.  Now my score is probably borderline, EX happens to be my worst CR so I'm going to let that card sit for another year or so.  I just looked it up, I paid off AmEx and received the Optima in 2/2009.  Hopefully in another year the remaining baddies will age off (EX has 4 bads on it, 20+ goods) and I will be able to do the close/reapply with a little more confidence than if I were to do it today.

 

Didn't think about the 'double' affect of closing the optima and opening a new account - 2 old trades!  I guess that's just a fringe benefit for suffering thru oasis.  Smiley Indifferent


Starting Score: 3/2010 - TU = 635 EQ = 620
Current Score: 10/2010 - TU = 699 EQ = 743 EX = 709 (LO pull)
Goal Score: 1,000,000


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
New Member
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎05-27-2010
0

Re: Amex Oasis - Updates/Experiences

 


cardmaster wrote:

 

Didn't think about the 'double' affect of closing the optima and opening a new account - 2 old trades!  I guess that's just a fringe benefit for suffering thru oasis.  Smiley Indifferent


LOL, true. Something to look forward to!

 

 

New Member
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎05-27-2010
0

Re: Amex Oasis - Updates/Experiences

Wow!  Right after the Green card approval, I applied for the Blue Cash yesterday.  I totally expected to be denied.  Got an Approval email a few minutes ago.  So 3 10 year old tradelines....my scores and report content was the same WITH the optima when I was denied before. 

 

 

 

 

 

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 438
Registered: ‎02-11-2008
0

Re: Amex Oasis - Updates/Experiences

Good advice by TStein..if your credit is decent, drop the recovery product before apping, if you have good credit, go for the Green or Blue..

FICOS 2/1/2015:Trans Union-814, Equifax: 813, Ex-812; Post- 5-apps Spree 2/25/2015;TransUnion-803; Equifax-797; Experian-787. Citi FICO-836 Barclays TU FICO; 803. CK:EQ-812; TU-804; CS-804; Mint-790; Total credit-$161,500: NASA-29,700; AMEX BCP-17,000; AMEX EDP-15,000; CSP-14,400; Barclay Ring-10,000; Discover It-9,000; U.S.Bank Sig Visa/Rutgers Alumni-9,000; United TeleTech Federal Credit Union-$9000; Citi Double Cash-8600; Citi TYP-7,200; Discover Cashback Bonus-7,200;Chase Freedom-6,500; AMEX HHilton Honors-5000; Barclay NFL Extra Points-$5000. Utility always 1-2%
Established Contributor
Posts: 511
Registered: ‎10-18-2007
0

Re: Amex Oasis - Updates/Experiences

Yes. This great advice. I have one more question for clarity. For those of you who have applied for more than one card post Oasis, do all of the tradelines retain the old history or just the first card?

10/08 - EX 795 / EQ 816 / TU 806
6/09 - EQ 763 / TU 770

Starting Score (2/2010): TU-767, EQ-745
Current Score (2/2010): TU-767, EQ-745
Goal Score (12/2010): TU-780, EQ-790


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
New Member
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎05-27-2010
0

Re: Amex Oasis - Updates/Experiences

 


BBYGRL wrote:

Yes. This great advice. I have one more question for clarity. For those of you who have applied for more than one card post Oasis, do all of the tradelines retain the old history or just the first card?


 

All of them do.  Any card you get from AMEX can be backdated to the "Member since" date of your very first card.  So, the Oasis\Optima card would have your original date as would any additional card(s). 

 

If you ever receive a card from AMEX that isn't linked to your oiginal date, you simply call and they can resolve that over the phone.

Established Contributor
Posts: 511
Registered: ‎10-18-2007
0

Re: Amex Oasis - Updates/Experiences

OK, the benefits are definetly worth it! Thanks Smiley Very Happy

10/08 - EX 795 / EQ 816 / TU 806
6/09 - EQ 763 / TU 770

Starting Score (2/2010): TU-767, EQ-745
Current Score (2/2010): TU-767, EQ-745
Goal Score (12/2010): TU-780, EQ-790


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
New Contributor
Posts: 63
Registered: ‎07-30-2009
0

Re: Amex Oasis - Updates/Experiences

Don't know if this question has been answered but...

 

What if my account was closed and paid off? Would I be eligible for an AMEX Oasis Optima card? It would be nice to raise my AAoA.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.