Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Offer: Optima to Blue Cash Everyday

tag
EW800
Valued Contributor

Amex Offer: Optima to Blue Cash Everyday

Hi Everyone,

I have recevied an e-mail offer from Amex, advising that I have been selected to apply for upgrading my Amex Optima Card to the Blue Cash Everyday Card.  I am hoping to get your opinion if I should consider applying or not, under my circumstances.  

-- I currently have an Amex Optima card.  I've had it since 1997, so about 17 years.  CL is $9,500.  APR is 15.24%, but I carry no balance.  

-- I have been going throuhg a major credit rebuild over the past 2+ years after a foreclosure.  I have been able to get my scores up to what you see below - 715 range.  

-- I PIF with Amex every month and my total Until is less than 1%.  I PIF before the statement cuts every card except one or two, every month.  Maybe this is why I got the offer?

Here are my questions:

-- If I am a current cardholder with Amex and they send me this offer to apply for another product, are odds pretty good that I would be approved?

-- If approved, is it likely  that they would give me the same or higher CL?  I currenly have $9.5K with Amex.  I would hate to change cards and end up with $2K or similar.  

-- Would my AoA likely remain the same?  I would hate to lose the 17 year history of the current card.  

-- Would this likely be a HP?  As part of my rebuild I have been trying to avoid HP's.  I curerntly have no HP's on Exp and TU, and one on EQ that is about five months old.  Adding one HP would not be the end of the world, but something I have been trying to avoid as part of my rebuild.    

Thank you!!

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Offer: Optima to Blue Cash Everyday

After all your questions, I can't think of any reason not to do it.  It's all good for you.

Message 2 of 7
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

If you apply for a new card don't respond to the Email in case it's not legitimate. If denied a SP approved HP. Your member since date on the new card will be backdated to MSD 09/97 if you wait until January MSD would be 01/97. I don't know what the CL would be sorry.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@EW800 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I have recevied an e-mail offer from Amex, advising that I have been selected to apply for upgrading my Amex Optima Card to the Blue Cash Everyday Card.  I am hoping to get your opinion if I should consider applying or not, under my circumstances.  

-- I currently have an Amex Optima card.  I've had it since 1997, so about 17 years.  CL is $9,500.  APR is 15.24%, but I carry no balance.  

-- I have been going throuhg a major credit rebuild over the past 2+ years after a foreclosure.  I have been able to get my scores up to what you see below - 715 range.  

-- I PIF with Amex every month and my total Until is less than 1%.  I PIF before the statement cuts every card except one or two, every month.  Maybe this is why I got the offer?

Here are my questions:

-- If I am a current cardholder with Amex and they send me this offer to apply for another product, are odds pretty good that I would be approved?

-- If approved, is it likely  that they would give me the same or higher CL?  I currenly have $9.5K with Amex.  I would hate to change cards and end up with $2K or similar.  

-- Would my AoA likely remain the same?  I would hate to lose the 17 year history of the current card.  

-- Would this likely be a HP?  As part of my rebuild I have been trying to avoid HP's.  I curerntly have no HP's on Exp and TU, and one on EQ that is about five months old.  Adding one HP would not be the end of the world, but something I have been trying to avoid as part of my rebuild.    

Thank you!!

It's hard to know without knowing what "upgrade" means!   If this is a straight product change (which it probably is) you should be fine.  Basically, all history, CL, APR etc are transferred from the old card to the new, there is no HP, or impact to the age of the account as the old card is replaced by the new.

Now, if they actually want you to apply fresh for the new card it is different (but I don't see why they would refer to this as an upgrade).   There the APR and CL could be anything.  There still shouldn't be a HP, and the card would backdate, so you would gain a new account that was 17 years old.

But I am guessing that it is a product change, and then I agree, absolutely go for it.

Message 4 of 7
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

upgrade tends to mean PC, no HP. If it was me I would go ahead and pull the trigger and AP for a new BCE or BCP as your spending supports. A new TL that shows up as 17 years old, would do wonders for your AAoA. Thanks to backdating you could even close the Optima card in a couple months and it will continue to report for the next 10 years. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why don't you just call them and see what they had in mind?

Message 6 of 7
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@EW800 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Here are my questions:

Thank you!!

Why is this even a question?   Yes, 100% yes

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.