Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Offers and Billing Adjustments

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Offers and Billing Adjustments

I got an Amex offer with terms of "Spend $50+, get $10 back" and made an online transaction for $65.

While the transaction was pending, I got an email from Amex saying I used the offer.

Now it looks like the merchant may submit the transaction to Amex as multiple, separate transactions...none over $50.

Am I likely to actually get the $10 automatically? If I don't, would it be worth asking Amex to honor the offer, anyway? Or are they really inflexible about that?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Offers and Billing Adjustments

You will get credited automatically. Amex is very good at honoring these offers.

Message 2 of 7
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I got an Amex offer with terms of "Spend $50+, get $10 back" and made an online transaction for $65.

While the transaction was pending, I got an email from Amex saying I used the offer.

Now it looks like the merchant may submit the transaction to Amex as multiple, separate transactions...none over $50.

Am I likely to actually get the $10 automatically? If I don't, would it be worth asking Amex to honor the offer, anyway? Or are they really inflexible about that?

Why might the merchant do this? Were these in fact separate transactions and not one single purchase that was $65?

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

My $10 credit has posted. One "sub-transaction" ended up being over $50, anyway, when it went from pending to posted. The total price is correct across all sub-transactions.

I was buying goods that were all in stock, but presumably spread across multiple warehouses and definitely shipped separately.

I'm glad to know that Amex is good about this in general.

Message 4 of 7
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Why might the merchant do this? Were these in fact separate transactions and not one single purchase that was $65?

Amazon does this to me sometimes and then they charge your card separately for each time each part of the order is shipped. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 5 of 7
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Callandra wrote:

@yfan wrote:

Amazon does this to me sometimes and then they charge your card separately for each time each part of the order is shipped. 

Amazon Marketplace does in fact do this, but I doubt the Amex Offer was on Amazon...

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sports Authority. I've not gotten any of the Amex offers for Amazon.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.