Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex PC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex PC

With the news of the True Earnings card going away, all TE cardholders seem to have 2 options:

1. Wait for the inevitable change to a Citi card.

2. Research options to PC your True Earnings card now.

I don't believe that Citi's co-branded card will be anything special.  The only way that card intersts me is IF it has a 3% @ Costco gas category AND Costco doesn't code as a gas station.  

With that said, I don't see any offerings from American Express that suit my needs either.  If I have my choice of two SD cards, I'd prefer to stick with Amex, but I can't figure out what I would PC my card to.  I've thought about the Blue Cash Everyday and Everyday cards, they don't do anything my other cards already do better.

I've considered the EDP card, but I don't think my annual spend justifies the AF (once I got the SM, I realized I don't cook very often anymore thus small grocery budget).  If I were to get a points card, I'd probably go with the  CSP because I eat out more.  

I'm at a loss.  I've heard about how great Amex is and I agree.  Amex has wonderful CSRs, their policy on big CL and backdating are amazing.  I'd like to keep the card open with Amex, but I'd hate to have to SD my largest limit card.  Any suggestions or cards that I've missed?

Currently:

Annual spending: $10,000-$15,000 on credit.

3% at restaurants, 5% on Groceries, Amazon, and Gas, 1.875% general spending (soon to increase to 2.25%).

Travel once or twice a year, I don't think this justifies an AF for an airline loyalty card.  

If all else fails, I'll probably jump on an ED card (seeing if they'll provide the signup bonus as a retention offer) and just keep the big TL open.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
BeeH11
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex PC

I'm a little unclear if you have an AMEX already or not (on my phone so I can't see signatures is you have one). But if you do have an AMEX and you were looking to PC it, this was my experience from 2 days ago:

I just PC my Blue card to ED card b/c I didn't have another choice and it was better than just (crappy) Blue. They told me if I wanted the BCP, BC, or EDP, I'd have to submit a new app. I didn't want another AMEX, just a different one.

If you don't have an AMEX, and none of them look good for your needs, I wouldn't bother getting one unless it's useful to you.
Chase Sapphire Reserve. Chase Freedom Unlimited. Amex Gold. Amex Everyday. Discover It. Capital One QuickSilver. Bloomingdales. Victoria Secret.
Message 2 of 5
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

My plan is to hold old until closer to the transition date.   At that time, I'm hoping AMEX will offer a new product.   If not, then I'll likely reallocate my CL from my TE to my BCE.

I'd recommend BCE of the current lineup, since it's cash back and there's no AF.  I always seem to get more AMEX offers on my BCE than my TE, too, so that may be a good occasion to use the CC.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BeeH11 wrote:
I'm a little unclear if you have an AMEX already or not (on my phone so I can't see signatures is you have one). But if you do have an AMEX and you were looking to PC it, this was my experience from 2 days ago:

I just PC my Blue card to ED card b/c I didn't have another choice and it was better than just (crappy) Blue. They told me if I wanted the BCP, BC, or EDP, I'd have to submit a new app. I didn't want another AMEX, just a different one.

If you don't have an AMEX, and none of them look good for your needs, I wouldn't bother getting one unless it's useful to you.

I do have an Amex.  I have the True Earnings card with them.  I am quite certain that they'll want me to PC it to retain the customer and I am interested in PCing to retain my credit line and MSD.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SunriseEarth wrote:

My plan is to hold old until closer to the transition date.   At that time, I'm hoping AMEX will offer a new product.   If not, then I'll likely reallocate my CL from my TE to my BCE.

I'd recommend BCE of the current lineup, since it's cash back and there's no AF.  I always seem to get more AMEX offers on my BCE than my TE, too, so that may be a good occasion to use the CC.  

Thanks for the suggestion!  I was leaning toward the ED card, but I doubt it'll get much use.  Now that you mention it, cash would be of more use to me.  I wonder if the ED card gets the same offers as the BCE.

I'm definitely excited to see if they do come out with something new, but I'd be highly disappointed with the Canadian SimplyCash equivalent.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.