Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex PRG & Chase Sapphire Preferred

tag
zeusta20
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX PRG & CHASE SAPPHIRE PREFERRED

Really??!! I had no idea you could do that!! Thanks for that valuable info! That helps a ton.
Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 31 of 42
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

I have both the CSP and the PRG and as much as I like the look of the PRG, I will most likely cancel it when the AF comes due since I'm not using it hardly at all. I probably have too many credit cards as it is and I can't justify paying the AF on the PRG. I got the PRG to make it easier to get the BCP and SPG, and now I have both of those cards.
Message 32 of 42
Open123
Super Contributor

@koalablue wrote:
I have both the CSP and the PRG and as much as I like the look of the PRG, I will most likely cancel it when the AF comes due since I'm not using it hardly at all. I probably have too many credit cards as it is and I can't justify paying the AF on the PRG. I got the PRG to make it easier to get the BCP and SPG, and now I have both of those cards.

Yeah, when all the sign up bonuses and first year fee waivers run its course, then for most people it's best to pay only "one" fee and focus all spending on the one card's rewards program.

Message 33 of 42
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

It might be worth it if your spending justifies both AFs.

If you spend 30k annually for the points booster and the majority of that is on bonus categories, then I'd say go for it. Otherwise I wouldn't bother and just focus on one or the other.

Being in too many different rewards programs can be problematic, in that you may have points across several programs but not enough in one to get a serious high-value redemption.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 34 of 42
Open123
Super Contributor

Also, objectively speaking (taking out emotions), if you had to choose one program, Chase's UR is currently superior to Amex's MR. 

For the same cost, you get a non-forex, double rewards on dining/travel, 7% dividend, and a metal card to boot!  The $95 for a Green card (unless you have a boatload of accrued MR points) just doesn't come close to the value of a CSP. 

If you spend $30K and predominantly in airlines on MR, then I can see the PR Gold might make sense.  But, for travel, the biggest issue is the forex fee. 

If you're like me who has a bias in favor of Amex, then you it might be worthwhile to pay fee just to have the charge card, I suppose.  In my case, I've got so many MR points accrued, I've got to have a charge on either the personal or business side.  It certainly wouldn't be all about value, but paying for something intangible (customer service, though I rarely call), the perceived "value" and "satisfaction" derived from having and using an Amex, such as their history of ruling in favor of the cardmember during disputes.

Message 35 of 42
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

I ask myself these questions every day im in the garden, I cannot decide which points program to persue. The MB revolver earns MR points and has most categories I will use like gas and restraunts to earn points. The green does not. The CSP has travel and restraunts. I dont know.I just dont know but I do know that I am only willing to pay the $95 fee on one card only. 

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 36 of 42
Open123
Super Contributor

@E150GT wrote:

I ask myself these questions every day im in the garden, I cannot decide which points program to persue. The MB revolver earns MR points and has most categories I will use like gas and restraunts to earn points. The green does not. The CSP has travel and restraunts. I dont know.I just dont know but I do know that I am only willing to pay the $95 fee on one card only. 

If you're starting without a bunch of MR points accrued, the MB revolver is better than the Green. 

This is assuming you value the MR program over Chase's UR.  If I were starting "fresh," I'd go with the CSP for the 40K bonus, and the PRG (you can always app for the MB after the first year, and have the extra points) for 50K bonus.  Both first year fees are waived to give you a chance to experience the efficacy of both programs. 

After that, you can decide which card and program is better for you. 

Message 37 of 42
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@E150GT wrote:

If you're starting without a bunch of MR points accrued, the MB revolver is better than the Green. 

This is assuming you value the MR program over Chase's UR.  If I were starting "fresh," I'd go with the CSP for the 40K bonus, and the PRG (you can always app for the MB after the first year, and have the extra points) for 50K bonus.  Both first year fees are waived to give you a chance to experience the efficacy of both programs. 

well i have a few thousand MR points already. I just didnt want to waste them. I dont plan on the MB Platinum, just the revolver. It only has a 5k sign up. My reasoning is that I can accrue points faster than the green and CSP for the same money as the green/CSP vs the PRG. I do plan on getting the CSP next month as it has a pretty great signup bonus and I am travelling to Peru and I want a visa that has a decent limit with no FTF's. I may or may not keep it though past a year. Since I was planning on apping on the CSP next month, I wanted to set myself up for an approval but I wasnt sure if I pay the AMEX before the statement cuts on the 19th because it will show over $1k in charges. All others will be zero.

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 38 of 42
zeusta20
Established Contributor

@E150GT wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@E150GT wrote:

well i have a few thousand MR points already. I just didnt want to waste them. I dont plan on the MB Platinum, just the revolver. It only has a 5k sign up. My reasoning is that I can accrue points faster than the green and CSP for the same money as the green/CSP vs the PRG. I do plan on getting the CSP next month as it has a pretty great signup bonus and I am travelling to Peru and I want a visa that has a decent limit with no FTF's. I may or may not keep it though past a year. Since I was planning on apping on the CSP next month, I wanted to set myself up for an approval but I wasnt sure if I pay the AMEX before the statement cuts on the 19th because it will show over $1k in charges. All others will be zero.

HEY! I just went there this past October! Where are you going to be going? are you originally from there or just going for vacation? Thats the same reason why I got the CSP for the no FTF.

Chase Freedom-4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
Message 39 of 42
zeusta20
Established Contributor

BTW, what is MB?

Chase Freedom-4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
Message 40 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.